Fordmods Logo

RACV report results - is it worth it? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the advice guys...

Aawww I liked that one... Is it really that bad?

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

It's not like there's a shortage of EF monts around.. so you can afford to be reasonably picky.

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

really what EF is not going to have a list a mile long if put through one of these RACV tests???

its far from being a new car

at lease drive a few before you buy to get some idea of what is good

for that money id be looking for a ghia...might even find a series 2 ghia, which had the xr6 motor and diff

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

gogetta wrote:
really what EF is not going to have a list a mile long if put through one of these RACV tests???

for that money id be looking for a ghia...might even find a series 2 ghia, which had the xr6 motor and diff

Sheesh, where do you guys buy cars from? I gotta go there...

All the EF monts on carsales and such are 6ish grand at least...

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

timmay_73 wrote:
A BA would be awesoommeee. But I haven't seen any under 10k... someone wanna point me in the right direction?

saw a 2002 BA on carsales for $7,500 the other day....

had 310,000km on it :P

not a taxi apparently lol

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

alfy wrote:
timmay_73 wrote:
A BA would be awesoommeee. But I haven't seen any under 10k... someone wanna point me in the right direction?

saw a 2002 BA on carsales for $7,500 the other day....

had 310,000km on it :P

not a taxi apparently lol

Wouldnt happen to have been acid rush in colour? theres one with similar kms in acid rush for bout the same price on ebay. lol

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

timmay_73 wrote:
gogetta wrote:

yeah but i doubt anyone can get 6G for a fairmont EF....what people are asking and what they will get are 2 different things....

also if u dont mind a risk then the auctions can be good sometimes....I said sometimes....but you aint gunna be able to do a RACV test

Ive seen some real s**t at the auctions go for good money...eg an AU with completely rusted sills and floor that the idiot buyer didnt see....No way, NO WAY!! he will ever get a RWC....and he thought he was smart buying at the auctions

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:02 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

gogetta wrote:
timmay_73 wrote:
gogetta wrote:

yeah but i doubt anyone can get 6G for a fairmont EF....what people are asking and what they will get are 2 different things....

also if u dont mind a risk then the auctions can be good sometimes....I said sometimes....but you aint gunna be able to do a RACV test

Ive seen some real s**t at the auctions go for good money...eg an AU with completely rusted sills and floor that the idiot buyer didnt see....No way, NO WAY!! he will ever get a RWC....and he thought he was smart buying at the auctions

I concur.

If you know what to look for and feel confident that you can get a car up to tip top shape by buying at the auction, then go for it. I bought my car from the auctions for $4750 (incl. auction fees) and then had to spend $1500 on it for RWC (including 17" rims and tyres). In the end I paid less thne $6500 for an EL Fairmont with Sunroof, LSD, momo steering wheel and a running engine :D...this was 2 years ago.

Since then I've spent about $5K - $6K on upgrades including a new engine after blowing a head gasket...but my handy work didn't prove it's best at the drags....but hey I gave it a crack and car still runs.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: '07 LT XR5

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

doesnt seem all THAT bad, but i wont be giving him $4K.

some of the stuff is just generic ie the headlights, but the power steering fluid, might need a new pump, oil needs to be rectified ASAP and that can sometimes be a rabit hole that u just keep running down.

all in all its up to you. if you could pick this car up for say $1,500-$2,000 you could even get a replacement engine for a few grand...

So much RAM the motherboard twisted off the POST.

I lost 3 cylinders... but gained a turbo...
Proud owner of an '07 XR5Turbo

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

EF Monts wont go for 6k these days.
I sold my old man's EL Ghia, 130,000km, immac except for one dent, sunroof, RWC for 8k. At least a year ago.

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:05 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 95 EF I

VIC, Australia

I know my 95 EF falcon gli isnt in the same league as a mont but i only payed 4 grand, spotless interior, engine ran great, no oil leaks, no fluid leaks of any kind actually, very quiet runner with the standard diff/tranny noise for a falcon (even that wasnt much though) 160,000ks on the clock full service history (at a ford dealership), exterior was in good shape, only a couple of small dints here and there which you barely notice, paint is great, and that was over a year ago...

after a fair bit of flogging by me, one service and another 15,000ks the engine still runs pretty well, i think the head gasket is starting to weep a bit of water on the outside and thats about it.. still in pretty good nick for a 13 year old car... not sure what its worth now but i imagine not 4 grand haha and theres no power steering leaks, etc.

i would offer 2 maybe 3 grand and if the engine is leaking too much just get an AU motor fitted...

a car is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay, classified adds only give you an idea of what everyone is asking for a car, not what they are really worth...

sounds like it might be too much trouble in the end, keep looking, the car you want will turn up sometime im sure, i rushed into buying a nissan a few years back because i wanted aus delivered, biggest mistake i ever made was not gettin an RACV test on it :/

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2