Fordmods Logo

'Re-Kits' for Impco Systems 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: 'Re-Kits' for Impco Systems
Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8 220 Manual

I have a 225 impco mixer with an L model convertor on my falcon and it runs really well. good power and economy. unfortunately the car takes along time to start when its dead cold. i was thinking i would put a new kit through the convertor to see if this helps. are these easy to fit? adn how much would i be looking at to get one?

Cheers

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

Very easy to get, around $100 if memory serves. Install is straight forward as well if you are comfortable with gas fittings..

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

Very easy to get, around $100 if memory serves. Install is straight forward as well if you are comfortable with gas fittings..

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

Does it run a primer?

I had this problem running an Impco E convertor with a 425 carby.

I used a gas lock off and ran a hose to the intake manifold as a feed, then i ran a power from the starter motor so it only primed when you turned it over... It started first kick instead of third kick.

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:06 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Certainly sounds like a primer issue. If it runs a petrol start unit, you may only need to adjust the pot on it to increase the petrol feed amount at startup. Big thing is to find where the petrol start unit has been mounted, most likely under the dash.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

its on straight gas so no petrol at all to worry about. i had heard that i might need a primer before but was worried about backfiring and the convertor is quite old so i thought id give that a try too

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I'll take a pic of the primer setup i have on the XD for you... Although there is no engine in it now the convertor is still bolted in the engine bay.
What kind of car is it mate? Engine etc?

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:37 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: F350, EF2 Ghia, XC & Corty

Power: 218 rwkw

VIC, Australia

My Xe has a Impco system on it with a 300a mixer.
Takes about 3-5seconds before she'll fire if its been sitting even a couple of hours. Thought about fitting a primer... One day!
My parents VC commy has the same gas system as mine and it has a primer system similar to what walker described.
Otherwise your idle mixtures may need richening up a little.
Economy will suffer! I had to richen up my idle mixture to get my big pig to fire. 20 seconds of cranking a 302 on a cold morning isnt kind to starters or batteries... My PIG drinks the gas!
Typically chews 22-24L of LPG per 100km.

FIT a PRIMER... Like I should do... one day..! :oops:

13.28@103.73mph

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hehe yeah i hear ya, thinking back i actually fitted the 425 brand new and the E type was second hand with a kit in it... I had no choice to do the primer because the f**k wouldn't start at all... Not even a kick out of it, i wound it over for an hour and nothing, i had the bits sitting there so i made up a primer and bingo, fired first time every time.
The 300 A are a bit of a b**ch, that's what mine had when i first converted it, they seem to run rich at idle and lean up top and yes they suck the gas.
With the 425 i would get less than 200k's out of a tank, it ran great but economy wise it was a pig.
The 425 mixer was actually a factory fit on the 460 Louisvilles.

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:34 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

I fitted a primer solenoid on my HJ ute years ago - it mounted over the plunger on the converter, hooked one end to 12v, the other went through a switch on the dash to earth. Turn IGN on, about 3-4 secs on the primer switch, engine started straight off every time - no backfiring issues.
Only need it for the first start of the day.

Maybe you could fit similar?

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

they sounds like good ideas guys. i think thats the way ill have to go. the car is an XF 250 with a 225 mixer. I am building a hot motor in it and i wanted to sought it out because with the new cam vaccum will be even worse hence longer starting times! any pics and guides on how to set it up would be muc appreciated

cheers

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

sorry to hassle everyone but had one last question. When I originally had my falcon converted to duel fuel a new lock off had to be put on the petrol system. this is all but brand new and not being used as my car is now straight gas. is there any difference between a petrol and gas lockoff? i didnt imagine so but i thought i would check as it seems to look identicle to the one currently on the gas system now.

also I wanted to put the reading from my gas tank fuel quantity onto my dash cluster. i know gas uses 0-90ohm and petrol uses 2-176ohms but even if the guage only read up to half which would mean a full tank this would be fine, can you forsee any problems with just connecting the gas sender wire to the petrol sender wire behind the cluster (or in the boot) ie a spark going back into the tank when connecting etc?

Regards

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

You can actually use the fuel lock off as a primer, i'll have to get pics for you, dead easy to do though.

You can buy a box to run the lpg guage through your cluster, i also did this to my XD.

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:49 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: F350, EF2 Ghia, XC & Corty

Power: 218 rwkw

VIC, Australia

My Xe has that box in the LH kickpanel. Uses Std fuel guage for both petrol and gas.

I had my car dyno'ed ages ago when it had a different motor in it with a blown head gasket, just one of many problems!, and was rich at idle, rich at cruise, but lean up the top end. Was leaning out at all of 89.5rwkw!
300a's suck!
I have a Sprint Gas sitting in the shed waiting to go on the car...
I also have a solid cammed 351 in bits in the shed also that will be fitted to the car at the same time..! The list goes on....

13.28@103.73mph

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

how much are these boxes worth?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next