Fordmods Logo

realy s**t house fuel economy (how to fix) 

 

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

 
 Post subject: Re: realy s**t house fuel economy (how to fix)
Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 2098

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: egas bf xt

Location: Gosford
NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
ea_falcon wrote:
my car is drinking like a b**ch i put $30 in it the other day and i have done 102 kms and its on the red light already the petrol was $1.47/L so the petrol gauge was between quarter and half way
i haven't changed my spark plugs in a year and a half so if i give it a service clean filter new spark plugs should it improve or do i need to change the fuel filter map sensor and o2 sensor
or is that fuel consumption normal for an i6 with a bit of extra throttle here and there


$30 petrol @ 1.47/l will give you about 20 ltrs. so 100 kms on 20 ltrs is good thats about 10 ltrs per 100kms..
im using about 14 ltrs per 100kms..

and dont worrie about the guage mine is the same..
the lower 1/4 to 1/2 of tank seems to go down faster than the first 1/2 tank.
its just the calibration of the guage is not 100% matched to the sender..


Unless i've misread something... doing 100kms on 20 litres is probably closer to 20 litres per 100 kms :P

 

_________________

I can see through wooden doors.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: realy s**t house fuel economy (how to fix)
Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:58 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 30

Posts: 1087

Joined: 1st Sep 2007

Ride: '07 LT XR5

Power: 133 rwkw

Location: sydney
NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
and dont worrie about the guage mine is the same..
the lower 1/4 to 1/2 of tank seems to go down faster than the first 1/2 tank.
its just the calibration of the guage is not 100% matched to the sender..
go to www.howstuffworks.com and look up fuel gauge..

it'll explain why the top half seems to move down slower than the bottom half.

(read: ball on string). Pretty crazy article really.. and seems so silly in this day n age.

 

_________________

So much RAM the motherboard twisted off the POST.

I lost 3 cylinders... but gained a turbo...
Proud owner of an '07 XR5Turbo

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:03 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 262

Joined: 5th Nov 2006

Location: wilcannia
NSW, Australia

well, if it blows black smoke and smells like fuel i'd start there. is the line still on the map sensor ? a new thermostat isn't worth much. the engine doesn't use closed loop until it reaches a certain temp. and all the basics, plugs, air and fuel filter, check the timing, new oxygen sensor. also check for exhaust leaks, these can make the oxygen sensor give false readings.

 

_________________

vote for pedro ? f**k pedro, f**k him up his stupid a***hole.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 30

Posts: 1798

Joined: 14th Jun 2006

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: FG 50th Anni G6E Turbo

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Id say thats about 20.0L average per 100km... driving the old tired 6, giving it a "bit of extra throttle here and there" assuming the red light indicates around 5L till empty... id say thats about fair.

Fill it right up, and then see how many K's you get till empty. Do about 3 times and work out your Average. Unless you've gota trip computer that can tell you already... but from memory the EA doesnt.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 567

Joined: 2nd Jul 2007

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 5spd EF

Flash i was reading this laughing my head off.

I only get 450 - 500k's out of a tank
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: realy s**t house fuel economy (how to fix)
Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:59 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 32

Posts: 27

Joined: 11th Aug 2008

Ride: fairmont

Location: Bendigo
VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
ea_falcon wrote:
my car is drinking like a b**ch i put $30 in it the other day and i have done 102 kms and its on the red light already the petrol was $1.47/L so the petrol gauge was between quarter and half way
i haven't changed my spark plugs in a year and a half so if i give it a service clean filter new spark plugs should it improve or do i need to change the fuel filter map sensor and o2 sensor
or is that fuel consumption normal for an i6 with a bit of extra throttle here and there


$30 petrol @ 1.47/l will give you about 20 ltrs. so 100 kms on 20 ltrs is good thats about 10 ltrs per 100kms..
im using about 14 ltrs per 100kms..

and dont worrie about the guage mine is the same..
the lower 1/4 to 1/2 of tank seems to go down faster than the first 1/2 tank.
its just the calibration of the guage is not 100% matched to the sender..


erm isnt that 20 lts per 100ks? Oh and by the way my average consumption is 15.7 lt per 100ks doesnt seem like that much to me
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: realy s**t house fuel economy (how to fix)
Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:09 pm 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

chookaz_351 wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
ea_falcon wrote:
my car is drinking like a b**ch i put $30 in it the other day and i have done 102 kms and its on the red light already the petrol was $1.47/L so the petrol gauge was between quarter and half way
i haven't changed my spark plugs in a year and a half so if i give it a service clean filter new spark plugs should it improve or do i need to change the fuel filter map sensor and o2 sensor
or is that fuel consumption normal for an i6 with a bit of extra throttle here and there


$30 petrol @ 1.47/l will give you about 20 ltrs. so 100 kms on 20 ltrs is good thats about 10 ltrs per 100kms..
im using about 14 ltrs per 100kms..

and dont worrie about the guage mine is the same..
the lower 1/4 to 1/2 of tank seems to go down faster than the first 1/2 tank.
its just the calibration of the guage is not 100% matched to the sender..


erm isnt that 20 lts per 100ks? Oh and by the way my average consumption is 15.7 lt per 100ks doesnt seem like that much to me


LOL i just re read what i posted umm i must have been tired because i dont make any sense do i?
never mind! just forget what i posted i was having a stupid moment. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6449

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

FLASH wrote:
I always laugh when i hear people saying their cars use more fuel at the bottom half of the tank, or the gauge is wrong. There all functioning correctly...

Its the shape of the fuel tank!!! It has slopping sides hence the bottom half of the tank has a lesser capacity than the top. Also take into account that the filler neck also carries a decent amount of fuel so you will be driving for a while until the float on the sender begins to drop down. This can be compensated for by bending the float arm slightly.

A good habit to get in too is too keep your car as full as possible. The more space you leave in the tank the more the fuel has to evaporate to fill the air space, just to have that vapour taken away every time the solenoid valve opens to purge the charcoal canister. So the more fuel you keep in the tank the less the fuel has to evaporate to fill that air space and the more fuel you will save.



i don't know about you, but most people i know would rather have a gauge that reads reads half way when there is 30L of fuel left in a 60L tank.

if ford can't calibrate a sender and gauge to do that, then i guase the gauge doesn't read right. because it's saying half when there is only about 25L left in the 60L tank.

but hey what ever makes you laugh

 

_________________

PERMANENTLY BANNED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 1001

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

Power: 132 rwkw

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

I get about 600km to a tank in the ef, give or take for bits of stop start rubbish and if i give it a blat here and there or tow with it.
between 55 and 63 litres that is.
and tickie six, whats your secret with the unbreakable pedalbox lol.

 

_________________

175.7hp 15.5 @ 374,000km
Team I have two E-Series AND all my teeth.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:51 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Posts: 31

Joined: 1st Apr 2007

Ride: NC Fairlane

Location: Country
WA, Australia

Dude keep on top of your servicing! as soon as my fuel consumption goes up i service it (usually every 7500 - 10000 kays) usually drops fuel consumption by 2-3 litres to 100 kays.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:07 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 365

Joined: 22nd Nov 2007

Ride: FG MK2 XR6T

Location: Bexley, Sydney
NSW, Australia

While on the subject I'm Wondering if my figures are out of the ordinary......keeping in mind a fair bit of each tank is driving in peak hour to work every day. I get about 280-300km to 60litres, which when you do the maths is approx 20-21ltrs/100km. My trip computer tells me Avg is 18.3/100km @ Avg speed of 26kmph. Car has 243,000km on the bottom end and about 65,000km on the head and well maintained.

I have been told it blows smoke at high rpm when I plant it, and when the engine is cold and i have the windows down i can smell petrol. O2 sensor is brand new and i disconnected the MAP sensor this afternoon which made it run like complete a**, which would imply the MAP is working?

Should i have anything to be concerned about?

 

_________________

Formerly LV XR5 Turbo, AU Fairmont Ghia V8 & EBII Fairmont I6.

Now......
Feb 2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual
- Luxury Pack

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 1228

Joined: 5th Mar 2006

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: FALCON EB TURBO, EL XR6

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
FLASH wrote:
I always laugh when i hear people saying their cars use more fuel at the bottom half of the tank, or the gauge is wrong. There all functioning correctly...

Its the shape of the fuel tank!!! It has slopping sides hence the bottom half of the tank has a lesser capacity than the top. Also take into account that the filler neck also carries a decent amount of fuel so you will be driving for a while until the float on the sender begins to drop down. This can be compensated for by bending the float arm slightly.

A good habit to get in too is too keep your car as full as possible. The more space you leave in the tank the more the fuel has to evaporate to fill the air space, just to have that vapour taken away every time the solenoid valve opens to purge the charcoal canister. So the more fuel you keep in the tank the less the fuel has to evaporate to fill that air space and the more fuel you will save.



i don't know about you, but most people i know would rather have a gauge that reads reads half way when there is 30L of fuel left in a 60L tank.

if ford can't calibrate a sender and gauge to do that, then i guase the gauge doesn't read right. because it's saying half when there is only about 25L left in the 60L tank.

but hey what ever makes you laugh


For starters the tank capacity is 65L plus the filler neck and top half of the tank = 68L total. (if we want to get nit picky).

Secondly, If ford has not calibrated the gauge and sender unit correctly thats because of the shape of the tank. not because there is a problem with the gauge or sender. Its more as you said, its a calibration issue not a function issue. I think everyone else understod what i meant, shall i chose my words more precisely so you do?
And BTW i was laughing at the fact people think there car uses more fuel in the bottom half of the tank. Like there MPG suddenly changes once the tank gets below half.

 

_________________

FALCAHOLIC

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED
DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU EVEN TRIED


Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 1001

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

Power: 132 rwkw

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

burn it, buy a pushbike, problem solved :)

 

_________________

175.7hp 15.5 @ 374,000km
Team I have two E-Series AND all my teeth.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:38 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names