Fordmods Logo

realy s**t house fuel economy (how to fix) 

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: realy s**t house fuel economy (how to fix)
Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: egas bf xt

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
ea_falcon wrote:
my car is drinking like a b**ch i put $30 in it the other day and i have done 102 kms and its on the red light already the petrol was $1.47/L so the petrol gauge was between quarter and half way
i haven't changed my spark plugs in a year and a half so if i give it a service clean filter new spark plugs should it improve or do i need to change the fuel filter map sensor and o2 sensor
or is that fuel consumption normal for an i6 with a bit of extra throttle here and there

$30 petrol @ 1.47/l will give you about 20 ltrs. so 100 kms on 20 ltrs is good thats about 10 ltrs per 100kms..
im using about 14 ltrs per 100kms..

and dont worrie about the guage mine is the same..
the lower 1/4 to 1/2 of tank seems to go down faster than the first 1/2 tank.
its just the calibration of the guage is not 100% matched to the sender..

Unless i've misread something... doing 100kms on 20 litres is probably closer to 20 litres per 100 kms :P

I can see through wooden doors.

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: '07 LT XR5

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
go to www.howstuffworks.com and look up fuel gauge..

it'll explain why the top half seems to move down slower than the bottom half.

(read: ball on string). Pretty crazy article really.. and seems so silly in this day n age.

So much RAM the motherboard twisted off the POST.

I lost 3 cylinders... but gained a turbo...
Proud owner of an '07 XR5Turbo

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:03 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

well, if it blows black smoke and smells like fuel i'd start there. is the line still on the map sensor ? a new thermostat isn't worth much. the engine doesn't use closed loop until it reaches a certain temp. and all the basics, plugs, air and fuel filter, check the timing, new oxygen sensor. also check for exhaust leaks, these can make the oxygen sensor give false readings.

vote for pedro ? f**k pedro, f**k him up his stupid a***hole.

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: FG 50th Anni G6E Turbo

VIC, Australia

Id say thats about 20.0L average per 100km... driving the old tired 6, giving it a "bit of extra throttle here and there" assuming the red light indicates around 5L till empty... id say thats about fair.

Fill it right up, and then see how many K's you get till empty. Do about 3 times and work out your Average. Unless you've gota trip computer that can tell you already... but from memory the EA doesnt.

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 5spd EF

Flash i was reading this laughing my head off.

I only get 450 - 500k's out of a tank

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:59 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: fairmont

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
ea_falcon wrote:
my car is drinking like a b**ch i put $30 in it the other day and i have done 102 kms and its on the red light already the petrol was $1.47/L so the petrol gauge was between quarter and half way
i haven't changed my spark plugs in a year and a half so if i give it a service clean filter new spark plugs should it improve or do i need to change the fuel filter map sensor and o2 sensor
or is that fuel consumption normal for an i6 with a bit of extra throttle here and there

$30 petrol @ 1.47/l will give you about 20 ltrs. so 100 kms on 20 ltrs is good thats about 10 ltrs per 100kms..

erm isnt that 20 lts per 100ks? Oh and by the way my average consumption is 15.7 lt per 100ks doesnt seem like that much to me

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:09 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

chookaz_351 wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
ea_falcon wrote:

erm isnt that 20 lts per 100ks? Oh and by the way my average consumption is 15.7 lt per 100ks doesnt seem like that much to me

LOL i just re read what i posted umm i must have been tired because i dont make any sense do i?
never mind! just forget what i posted i was having a stupid moment. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

FLASH wrote:
I always laugh when i hear people saying their cars use more fuel at the bottom half of the tank, or the gauge is wrong. There all functioning correctly...

Its the shape of the fuel tank!!! It has slopping sides hence the bottom half of the tank has a lesser capacity than the top. Also take into account that the filler neck also carries a decent amount of fuel so you will be driving for a while until the float on the sender begins to drop down. This can be compensated for by bending the float arm slightly.

A good habit to get in too is too keep your car as full as possible. The more space you leave in the tank the more the fuel has to evaporate to fill the air space, just to have that vapour taken away every time the solenoid valve opens to purge the charcoal canister. So the more fuel you keep in the tank the less the fuel has to evaporate to fill that air space and the more fuel you will save.

i don't know about you, but most people i know would rather have a gauge that reads reads half way when there is 30L of fuel left in a 60L tank.

if ford can't calibrate a sender and gauge to do that, then i guase the gauge doesn't read right. because it's saying half when there is only about 25L left in the 60L tank.

but hey what ever makes you laugh

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

Power: 132 rwkw

QLD, Australia

I get about 600km to a tank in the ef, give or take for bits of stop start rubbish and if i give it a blat here and there or tow with it.
between 55 and 63 litres that is.
and tickie six, whats your secret with the unbreakable pedalbox lol.

175.7hp 15.5 @ 374,000km
Team I have two E-Series AND all my teeth.

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:51 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: NC Fairlane

WA, Australia

Dude keep on top of your servicing! as soon as my fuel consumption goes up i service it (usually every 7500 - 10000 kays) usually drops fuel consumption by 2-3 litres to 100 kays.

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:07 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: FG MK2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

While on the subject I'm Wondering if my figures are out of the ordinary......keeping in mind a fair bit of each tank is driving in peak hour to work every day. I get about 280-300km to 60litres, which when you do the maths is approx 20-21ltrs/100km. My trip computer tells me Avg is 18.3/100km @ Avg speed of 26kmph. Car has 243,000km on the bottom end and about 65,000km on the head and well maintained.

I have been told it blows smoke at high rpm when I plant it, and when the engine is cold and i have the windows down i can smell petrol. O2 sensor is brand new and i disconnected the MAP sensor this afternoon which made it run like complete a**, which would imply the MAP is working?

Should i have anything to be concerned about?

Formerly LV XR5 Turbo, AU Fairmont Ghia V8 & EBII Fairmont I6.

Now......
Feb 2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual
- Luxury Pack

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: FALCON EB TURBO, EL XR6

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
FLASH wrote:
I always laugh when i hear people saying their cars use more fuel at the bottom half of the tank, or the gauge is wrong. There all functioning correctly...

Its the shape of the fuel tank!!! It has slopping sides hence the bottom half of the tank has a lesser capacity than the top. Also take into account that the filler neck also carries a decent amount of fuel so you will be driving for a while until the float on the sender begins to drop down. This can be compensated for by bending the float arm slightly.

A good habit to get in too is too keep your car as full as possible. The more space you leave in the tank the more the fuel has to evaporate to fill the air space, just to have that vapour taken away every time the solenoid valve opens to purge the charcoal canister. So the more fuel you keep in the tank the less the fuel has to evaporate to fill that air space and the more fuel you will save.

i don't know about you, but most people i know would rather have a gauge that reads reads half way when there is 30L of fuel left in a 60L tank.

if ford can't calibrate a sender and gauge to do that, then i guase the gauge doesn't read right. because it's saying half when there is only about 25L left in the 60L tank.

but hey what ever makes you laugh

For starters the tank capacity is 65L plus the filler neck and top half of the tank = 68L total. (if we want to get nit picky).

Secondly, If ford has not calibrated the gauge and sender unit correctly thats because of the shape of the tank. not because there is a problem with the gauge or sender. Its more as you said, its a calibration issue not a function issue. I think everyone else understod what i meant, shall i chose my words more precisely so you do?
And BTW i was laughing at the fact people think there car uses more fuel in the bottom half of the tank. Like there MPG suddenly changes once the tank gets below half.

FALCAHOLIC

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED
DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU EVEN TRIED

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

Power: 132 rwkw

QLD, Australia

burn it, buy a pushbike, problem solved :)

175.7hp 15.5 @ 374,000km
Team I have two E-Series AND all my teeth.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2