Fordmods Logo

removing rocker cover, anything to keep in mind? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: removing rocker cover, anything to keep in mind?
Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:53 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

hey all. trying to remove my rocker cover so i can paint it.
is there anything i should keep in mind such as; are there any bolts that need to be done to a specified torque, any bolts that cannot be reused. any leads to watch out for? am i going to lift the cover off and oil is gonna piss out everywhere.

also my car is an EF fairmont, dont know if that matters but what the hell.

cheers in advance.

Post subject: Re: removing rocker cover, anything to keep in mind?
Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:06 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Nothing much to look out for. Just keep in mind to label the leads...just in case you forget which plug they go to and also look at the rubber washer type things under the retaining bolts...if they are old, they may be brittle and may have some cracks in them. Can buy them at repco or something if you want to replace them. I assume this is your first time, so it might be a good idea to replace the rocker cover gasket...it might have gone hard and might not seal properly again once you put it back on. Good idea to replace it while it is off.

Besides that, just remove the air intake piping, remove the 4 retaining bolts, leads, unhook the brake booster vacuum hose off the clip, remove vacuum hoses from front and rear and that's pretty much it.

When you lift it up, lift it up evenly and then when the rear hits the firewall, tilt the front down which will give you a little more space to lift the rear end over the rocker pedestal.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:10 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

phongus wrote:
Nothing much to look out for. Just keep in mind to label the leads...just in case you forget which plug they go to and also look at the rubber washer type things under the retaining bolts...if they are old, they may be brittle and may have some cracks in them. Can buy them at repco or something if you want to replace them. I assume this is your first time, so it might be a good idea to replace the rocker cover gasket...it might have gone hard and might not seal properly again once you put it back on. Good idea to replace it while it is off.

Besides that, just remove the air intake piping, remove the 4 retaining bolts, leads, unhook the brake booster vacuum hose off the clip, remove vacuum hoses from front and rear and that's pretty much it.

When you lift it up, lift it up evenly and then when the rear hits the firewall, tilt the front down which will give you a little more space to lift the rear end over the rocker pedestal.

ok, someone told me they have a re-usable rubber gasket but thanks mate. also what about that f**k-off big bolt in the middle of the cover? nothing special? just undo it as i would any other?
cheers phong.

Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:16 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB XR6 (sold) ED XR6 T5

VIC, Australia

Jakel123 wrote:
phongus wrote:

ok, someone told me they have a re-usable rubber gasket but thanks mate. also what about that f**k-off big bolt in the middle of the cover? nothing special? just undo it as i would any other?
cheers phong.

Yeah they are reusable, assuming yours isnt damaged and as previously said 'rock hard' i reused mine and havent had an issue, just make sure you use a decent dose of sealant when putting it back on

In relation to bolts, not totally sure what you mean here, theres 4 bolts on top of the rocker cover, they all need to be removed.

92 EB II SXR6 T5

Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:15 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

a tip for getting the rocker cover gasket to stay in place when you reinstall the cover is use a few small dabs of grease to hold the gasket in the groove while its upside down. not stupid amounts but just enough to keep it in place. I've have my rocker cover off heaps, do it once, second time is a piece of cake. things can only go back in one way.

I have a car.

Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:35 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Jakel123 wrote:
phongus wrote:

cheers phong.

Well the rubber gasket can be re-used as said before, but I prefer not to reuse it if it is rock solid. You will get a better seal with a new one if the old one has seen better days. I'm, assuming the big bolt you were talking about is the one that holds the stock intake piping for the EFs down. If so then yes you can remove it like any other bolt.

Another thing, you don't have to put any sealant/gasket maker on the gasket itself...it should be fine the way it is if it's a brand new gasket. If it's a reused one, it won't hurt to put some gasket maker on the U-shaped part of the front and rear of the rocker cover. Besides that it should be simple to do.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:05 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

cheers guys.

Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:51 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: BA Fairmont Giah v8+more

NSW, Australia

phongus wrote:
Jakel123 wrote:
phongus wrote:

cheers phong.

Well the rubber gasket can be re-used as said before, but I prefer not to reuse it if it is rock solid. You will get a better seal with a new one if the old one has seen better days. I'm, assuming the big bolt you were talking about is the one that holds the stock intake piping for the EFs down. If so then yes you can remove it like any other bolt.

Another thing, you don't have to put any sealant/gasket maker on the gasket itself...it should be fine the way it is if it's a brand new gasket. If it's a reused one, it won't hurt to put some gasket maker on the U-shaped part of the front and rear of the rocker cover. Besides that it should be simple to do.

spot on only want a bit of sealant on the u shape and try to use a non hardening sealant like loctite 515 flange sealant better siuted to rubber

Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:54 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

fairmont54 wrote:
phongus wrote:
Jakel123 wrote:
phongus wrote:

cheers phong.

spot on only want a bit of sealant on the u shape and try to use a non hardening sealant like loctite 515 flange sealant better siuted to rubber

yeh thanks, i ust got some silicone gasket maker. the blue s**t in a tube. lol

Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

pretty easy job mate, i found that my gasket leaked after i put it back on,
so i had to take it off and put a new gasket on and i went sick with gasket sealant all over aswell

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:46 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

4dlvr wrote:
pretty easy job mate, i found that my gasket leaked after i put it back on,
so i had to take it off and put a new gasket on and i went sick with gasket sealant all over aswell

yeh i drowned the f**ker in gasket maker worked a treat

Attachments:
Image031.jpg
Image031.jpg [ 315.71 KiB | Viewed 197 times ]

Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: BA Fairmont Giah v8+more

NSW, Australia

all i ever put it on is the u shape, and a little tip, get some contact adhesive spray and spray a small amount inside the rockercover to get the gasket to stick in there do it like this at least three times a week biulding these motors and never have had a problem yet.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]