Fordmods Logo

removing rounded head bolts 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: removing rounded head bolts
Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:33 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: falcon eb

WA, Australia

hey guys i got this el motor sitting here took the rocker cover off and rocker gear went to take the head off and ive stumbled across 3 rounded head bolts. wondering if neone has had this problem befor and whats the best way to get them out?

also ne1 know the correct size for the head bolts.

thinking of getting me grinder out and just trying to clean up the sides where its rounded and hopefully fit a smaller socket on.

ne other ideas?

i know u can get sockets designed for rounded heads but that would be a last resort to get it off. as id rather not have to buy nething .

ne help would be great guys .

cheeres HaZZa

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

correct size is 14mm. Get a impact socket - dont even bother with anything else. Even good quality sockets often break or round. I say again, get an impact socket!

You can try to clean the bolt up and bash on a 13mm or 1/2" socket and see how it goes. Other option is to weld on a socket or something that lets you get hold of it better.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Yeah u could weld a socket or something like that on. Or if you can get to it, a pair of vice grips, clamp them on nice and tight, and try turning it like that.

Show us a pic if you can, can always think of more ideas with pics,

The Lane Lives.... Finally!!!!

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: XH B&S ute, Navara 4x4

Power: 202 rwkw

SA, Australia

Impact socket (14mm), rattle gun, air compressor. 8-)

You'll ride a black tornado across the western sky

You'll rope an ol' blue norther and milk it 'till it's dry

Bulldog the Diamantina pin its ears down flat

Long before you take this cowboy's hat

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:55 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: falcon eb

WA, Australia

swweet guys.

cheeres for the help hopefully itll all work out

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

What XH and stock said.
The very first EA head i done in the early 90's screwed me, 2 seized head bolts, managed to get 1 undone 2 sockets later, the other had no hope.
I ended up dropping the valve springs off around the bolt and ground the head off with an angle grinder, i then lifted the head over the top of it.
I spent the next 2 hours trying to get it out of the block, using the oxy and stilsens with a long pipe, i was at the point of calling the owner up and telling him to f**k off as i'd had enough, i gave it 1 more crack and got it out thank f**k.
That job almost turned me off working on anything EA upwards, anything that could have gone wrong did go wrong, never had any of the dramas again after that lol.

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

if u haven't got a rattle gun use a angle grinder to shape the bolt head, that way you reestablish the hexagon shape of the bolt, get the next size down or two {socket} an tap that on with a hammer.
use one of those cheaper torque wrench, one with the long handle & needle pointer, the flexing of the handle will help loosen the bolt. like a leverage.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:21 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Slick wrote:
if u haven't got a rattle gun use a angle grinder to shape the bolt head, that way you reestablish the hexagon shape of the bolt, get the next size down or two {socket} an tap that on with a hammer.
use one of those cheaper torque wrench, one with the long handle & needle pointer, the flexing of the handle will help loosen the bolt. like a leverage.

Only somebody who has NEVER done that would try to reccomend someone else do it.

Don't grind it. I've witness the aftermath and it wasn't pretty.

Its near impossible to size it down properly. Its much more professional and easier to use an impact socket/rattle gun.

EA SVO Fairmont Ghia - Recaros, Bilsteins, Sunroof, SVO rims and body kit, Genie headers, DBA rotors. T5 steeda triax short shifter. 3.27 lsd. (EL 4.0 ported/polished, rebuilt and balanced, Dev5 cam. J3 chipped EL ecu, AU injectors).

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

aaron_hogan wrote:
Slick wrote:

Only somebody who has NEVER done that would try to reccomend someone else do it.

Don't grind it. I've witness the aftermath and it wasn't pretty.

Its near impossible to size it down properly. Its much more professional and easier to use an impact socket/rattle gun.

If its rounded like a coach screw then the rattle has no nope :roll:

trust me, its been done. when I say grind it I don't mean grind it, just enough to hammer the next socket size in. it needs talent.

you just gotta use your head in the time of need & limited number of tools.

always think out side the box, I always say!

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

And if it's seized in the block like mine was then you're screwed, unless you go to the trouble of doing what i done.

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

I did some grinding around an open engine block once, you need to be careful where all those little bits of metal go.....

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:23 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

The best thing you can do is get a mash hammer and mushroom the head of the bolt just so the 14mm impact socket fits on snug, then belt the socket to loosen the head bolt. Believe me it works as i had this problem last week on a ED.

97 EL Fairmont Ghia I6
EL GT's Lowered
Pacemakers 2 1/2" cat back,
EL GT air intake, Modified air box, K&N filter
3.45 LSD NOW MANUAL!

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

if you use a {flexing type} triple-scale torque wrench with the 1/2" drive, rated at 1800in.-lbs to remove the head bolts, one with the bolt size & stress chart. you wouldn't have problems. seized or not.

the flexing of the torque bar has a relief double action, it soaks up the extreme force you would normally have with a socket/ratchet & the torque effect slowly do its job. slow but effective.

It'll also make it easier if you apply the same torquing sequence when bolting back on, but reverse the procedure. no point diving in & start removing the easiest bolt only to find out the outer bolts have copped all the force from a warp head making it appear like its seized.

couple of light blows on the bolt with a hammer to loosen it, then rock it back & forth like a rattle gun :lol:

Attachments:
unbolting sequence.jpg
unbolting sequence.jpg [ 15.02 KiB | Viewed 222 times ]

Pakrat wrote:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]