Fordmods Logo

Replacing Coil Pack on an EF 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: Replacing Coil Pack on an EF
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:02 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 843

Joined: 20th Feb 2010

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

Location: Elizibif Norf (Local Spelling!!)
SA, Australia

Well I was all set to replace the coil pack and leads on the EF this week end until........
I got the workshop manual out to do some research 1st, and remembered that the manual I have is for an EL. No coil pack in those :oops: 'Never mind' thought I, 'I've got an EF manual in PDF on the computer'. Nope.. it's for the EL series as well. :x
So I'll be flying blind..... any tips or tricks to removing the coil pack?
Cos it's in a real b**ch of a spot!! And I REALLY don't want to have to pull 1/2 the intake manifold apart to get at it. I'm guessing by looking at it I'll need to remove the air box and intake pipes at least, and possibly would be better off jacking the front of the car up and going at it from below. But any advice would be appreciated.

 

_________________

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.


Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Replacing Coil Pack on an EF
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:08 am 
QLD Cruise Moderator
Offline

Age: 52

Posts: 407

Joined: 20th Jul 2009

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF Ford Falcon Wagon

Location: Atkinsons Dam an hour out of Brisbane
QLD, Australia

Drive it up on some car ramps and replace it from underneath

Cheers
Alan
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Replacing Coil Pack on an EF
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:11 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 843

Joined: 20th Feb 2010

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

Location: Elizibif Norf (Local Spelling!!)
SA, Australia

SV-Valiant wrote:
Drive it up on some car ramps and replace it from underneath

Cheers
Alan

Thanks Alan, are there any other things I should take note of?

 

_________________

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.


Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Replacing Coil Pack on an EF
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6166

Joined: 8th May 2007

I do it from the top, easy if you dont have too much chub on ya :P

Do it when engine is cold. Check that the leads are already numbered, if not, mark them.

Then remove the airbox, and squeeze your arm in above the metal water hose and pull off all the leads off the coil pack.

There are 4 bolts which a couple can be done from the top with extension bar, the others done with a wrench by squeezing your arm through as mentioned. There is also a connector to unplug obviously.

Once youve fitted the new coil pack, feed the new leads starting with number one lead inbetween the intake manifold runners making sure leads 1 and 2 go through the second last gap, and the rest go between the last runners gap....... whilst the other hand fits them to the coil pack as follows:

Image
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Replacing Coil Pack on an EF
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 843

Joined: 20th Feb 2010

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

Location: Elizibif Norf (Local Spelling!!)
SA, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
I do it from the top, easy if you dont have too much chub on ya :P

Do it when engine is cold. Check that the leads are already numbered, if not, mark them.

Then remove the airbox, and squeeze your arm in above the metal water hose and pull off all the leads off the coil pack.

There are 4 bolts which a couple can be done from the top with extension bar, the others done with a wrench by squeezing your arm through as mentioned. There is also a connector to unplug obviously.

Once youve fitted the new coil pack, feed the new leads starting with number one lead inbetween the intake manifold runners making sure leads 1 and 2 go through the second last gap, and the rest go between the last runners gap....... whilst the other hand fits them to the coil pack as follows:

Image

Fantastic info there :) , thanks very much.

 

_________________

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.


Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Replacing Coil Pack on an EF
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:25 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 298

Joined: 23rd Nov 2007

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 03 BA

Location: st marys
NSW, Australia

i did mine from top an bottom long xtension down to bolts an climb under to remove an replace, seemed the eastest way off two ive done.
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 30 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:50 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names