Fordmods Logo

replacing radiator on FG falcon 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: replacing radiator on FG falcon
Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford FG Falcon

NSW, Australia

This has me stumped, but is there any easy way to remove the radiator on a FG? I am struggling to figure out how to remove the radiator from the brackets that tie it to the aircon condensor and the power steering cooler.

To make it worse, its a a turbo, but I am not sure how its supposed to be done. The turbo piping makes it more awkward, but I suspect that the NA has a similar problem.

There is a 15mm bolt that holds these brackets to the radiator, but they are hard to get to. Is there a trick to this? I have removed the old one with a combination of bending the brackets and trying to get to the 15mm bolts, but surely there is a better way?

Post subject: Re: replacing radiator on FG falcon
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:51 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

i presume it's the same as the BA/BF? ... you will need to remove the grille to get to the bolts at the front. this will then give you some room to move/get to the bolts. think with her BF i removed the bumper as well? as i wasn't sure at that time what i was doing :roll: on mine i will be just removing the grille.

Post subject: Re: replacing radiator on FG falcon
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:12 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford FG Falcon

NSW, Australia

Thanks. I ended up figuring out that I can move the radiator, condensor, and power steering cooler forward a bit towards the engine, which then gives a bit more access to the bolts that go into the radiator. I think if I didn't have the intercooler there it would be easier.

I read this idea of moving it close to the enginer somewhere else, but its a bad design, which is probably why no one has any youtube videos showing 'how easy it is'.

I also replaced the 15mm bolts, which have a M6 thread, with smaller bolts that have a 8mm head, so I can get in there with a 1/4" ratchet and 8mm socket.

Hopefully I don't need to change the radiator again for a long time!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]