Fordmods Logo

Replacing Rear main seal and sump gasket, how much roughly? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Replacing Rear main seal and sump gasket, how much roughly?
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 95 EF GLI

VIC, Australia

hi all, looks like my rear main seal is gone and my sump has a small leak at the front. Just wondering if anyone would have a rough idea on price i should be expecting to get both fixed? Any recomendations on places to take it to? Im in Hampton Park, willing to travel if need be. Car is an Ef 6 cylinder.

95 Ef Gli, mods : Tickford Head, Tickford ecu, Pacemaker 4499, Venom 100 cpi cat, Redback 2.5" catback, Wade 977b cam, ba xr6 intake and SS inductions, k & n filter & leather seats. 147.5kw @ wheels

Post subject: Re: Replacing Rear main seal and sump gasket, how much roughly?
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

Chargd wrote:
hi all, looks like my rear main seal is gone and my sump has a small leak at the front. Just wondering if anyone would have a rough idea on price i should be expecting to get both fixed? Any recomendations on places to take it to? Im in Hampton Park, willing to travel if need be. Car is an Ef 6 cylinder.

i have been told the engine either needs to be lifted to do the job properly, or the k frame needs to be dropped, so that there is access to the sump, for the rear main seal the gearbox will have to come out of the car aswell

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 95 EF GLI

VIC, Australia

bry40l wrote:
Chargd wrote:

i have been told the engine either needs to be lifted to do the job properly, or the k frame needs to be dropped, so that there is access to the sump, for the rear main seal the gearbox will have to come out of the car aswell

yeh im aware of that. Wouldnt you be able to avoid taking out the gearbox by lifting the motor to do both? just a thought

95 Ef Gli, mods : Tickford Head, Tickford ecu, Pacemaker 4499, Venom 100 cpi cat, Redback 2.5" catback, Wade 977b cam, ba xr6 intake and SS inductions, k & n filter & leather seats. 147.5kw @ wheels

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

its been a while since ive looked at the rear of a falcon engine and ive never really payed any attention either , if you can find any pictures it would be easy to tell

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

to the rear main either the engine or gear box has to come out.

If you're doing the rear main and sump taking the engine out would be the way to it.

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
to the rear main either the engine or gear box has to come out.

If you're doing the rear main and sump taking the engine out would be the way to it.

And if your taking the engine out may aswell do all the gasgets while the engines sitting in front of you,
all the other gasgets are hard to replace once the engines back in, much easier to do it all in one go out of the car, thats why im completly removing my engine to change the leaky clutch/sump gasget.

BF XR6

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

Quote:
Just wondering if anyone would have a rough idea on price i should be expecting to get both fixed?

Heaps. Including labour: $1000 ++

* remove bonnet (20 mins)
*engine out (with g/box)(4 hrs)
*remove g/box (30 mins)Inc. converter
*remove flexiplate (auto) (10 mins)
*remove sump (30 mins)
*remove rear main cap (10 mins)
* feed new seal around Main ( a PITA) (30 mins)
*replace lower main seal (10 mins)
*replace rear main and tension (10 mins)
*replace sump (new gasket) (30 mins)
*replace flexiplate (15 mins)
*replace g/box incl. converter & bolt up (20 mins) [if all goes well!!]
*install engine (5 hrs)

While you have the engine out, replace the welch plugs, and all the rubber hoses :) and anything else you can get to....

Alternative: live with it :lol:

Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Why would you remove the engine and gearbox? just take the engine out.
Why would you take the rear main cap off?

And where have you given time to clean every thing? Or do you just put new gaskets and seals on top of all the old oil and grime?

Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

Heaps dude, we quote $600 to do sump gaskets and thats dropping the k frame, Wichita when you have a hoist isn't too hard. Still time consuming. Usually quote $150+ for a rear main on manual and about $200-250 on auto.

Please before you go and get this done check the following. Just incase you've made a inaccurate diagnosis.
Make sure that you're sump leak at the front is not in fact the crank seal leaking down, the timing chain tensioner O ring leaking down, the bolt on the timing case that likes to leak, the c gasket between the timing case an head and the rocker cover. ( it could also be power steering fluid or even ATF if other components are leaking.
And for the rear main make sure it's not just the back of the rocker cover leakin down, I thought my rear main was leaking but when I went to put a new clutch it it turns out the rocker cover was at fault.

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

Quote:
Why would you remove the engine and gearbox? just take the engine out.

find it easier to remove and replace them together, as I find it easier to bolt everything up when there is plenty of rooom :)

Quote:
And where have you given time to clean every thing? Or do you just put new gaskets and seals on top of all the old oil and grime?

Well I'm not perfect, but I'm working on it :lol:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]