Fordmods Logo

Replacing sump gasket. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Replacing sump gasket.
Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:41 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford Falcon AUII

NSW, Australia

Hey, halfway through installing my timing cover (after regasketing everything) and after breaking the lower timing chain guide i've come to realise that despite what the manual says the sump HAS to be lowered to install the timing cover. Now, the sump gasket looks kind of s**t and since i've got it down to this state I may as well replace it.

My question is, is it possible to detach/lower the sump enough to put a new gasket in without lifting the engine/removing the k-frame? Also, from the manual it appears that there are two bolts holding the sump on that the transmission bellhousing covers up - can you get to these bolts without taking the transmission out? If I can't replace the gasket/its too much f**k about - would putting a bead of gasket goo over the gasket work as an additional backup?

Thanks, Thomas.

My Megasquirt 3 install: here

Post subject: Re: Replacing sump gasket.
Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:51 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 96 EF 5 Spd

VIC, Australia

thomas505 wrote:
Also, from the manual it appears that there are two bolts holding the sump on that the transmission bellhousing covers up - can you get to these bolts without taking the transmission out?

Yes you can get to those 2 bolts, if you go under the car and look where the bellhousing and sump meet there will be 2 semi circle cut outs, the bolts are hiding up in there. i had to use a few extensions to get to the bolts and the 3/8 ratchet to get to them

im not sure if you can get the sump down lower enough without lifting the engine. but it isnt hard to lift it the couple of inches needed, for the little time it takes to lift the engine it is worth it, wont be so many skinless knuckles :P

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

(Assuming you have an I6)...If you remove the engine mount bolt under the BBM, you can place a trolley jack under the bell housing and jack the engine up to give you more room. It's a pain but you can lower the sump 25-50mm to fit the gasket. Make sure you replace the rear seal on the sump as well.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

absolute butcher of a job, it's easier if the engine comes out. I've done timing covers without taking the sump off, as long as the heads off. Is the head still on ?

When it comes to big jobs likt this I find it easier to just take the whole engine out, re-gasket & silicone everything then put it back in as a sealed unit. Even if you have to hire a crane, still works out more economical. One weekend and you're guaranteed no leaks for years pretty much. Stuff one gasket up in the car and risk leaking oil from you're NEW gasket untill it's fixed again.

There's not alot involved in taking the whole motor AND gearbox out of these things.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]