Rev range sohc 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Rev range sohc
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:34 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EL XR6 manual 195RWKW 3.7diff T5

SA, Australia

Hi all

I've been comparing other brands of straight six cylinder engines to the ford and the closest one to the ford in respect to bore and stroke ratios and rod to stroke ratio is the M3 E46.

The M3 revs to 8000rpm and makes just over 100hp per litre at fly wheel.

I know I am being simplistic in comparing motors, everyone seems to say on forums that the ford is a long stroke tractor motor built for low rev torque.

Why did Adolf come up with the same dimensions for his straight six high revving power house, applauded around the world has one of the best sixes built.

M3 bore 87mm stroke 91mm rod length 139mm

Ford bore 92mm stroke 99mm rod length 154mm

Post subject: Re: Rev range sohc
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:45 pm 
VIC Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: ed

VIC, Australia

Download a game called Automation and have a play around in the engine builder section. You'll answer your own questions in that and see how to make it rev, and how much a bit of stroke makes a difference,

https://www.automationgame.com/

94 White ED Wagon
eaton M112 supercharger, lowered a tad, extractors, 2.5" exhaust, T5 , custom SureCam supercharger cam, 3.45 lokka, 2 piece tailshaft, poyair bags in the back, TSS front Skirt, Sprint skirts, XR wagon spoiler.
soon to get: AU diff, upc 330mm brakes, Vapor LPG injection.

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:17 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Thanks mate

There had to be something in that extra $100,000

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: G6e

SA, Australia

pekkerwood wrote:
Thanks mate

There had to be something in that extra $100,000

Far out i love how you referred to the BMW as the nazi mobil :)

Adolf HAH

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

Kinda comparing Apples to Oranges a bit, aren't we? The poor old SOHC Ford may be a lot more low-tech, and a bit of a tractor engine, but you don't see a lot of BMW's towing horse floats or ski-boats, huh? And I know which one I would rather try and fix / maintain / get parts for when it's 10 years old... 8-)

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:17 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

I agree with you, I was more speaking about the dimensions eg. Stroke to rod ratios under square bore to stroke, as I've read many people say shorten the stroke to make it rev. Our piston speed is to high,

But Adolf got it going, when he could have used any dimension as the M3 is dedicated performance. Not one size fits all like the ford

I love my falcon xr6 el manual I can work on it.

Only thing I disagree with is parts you can get heaps more parts for world cars than Australian cars especially with the Internet. That's why we modify and think outside the box to me that's the enjoyment

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

Yeah, that's the thing, old Heinrich could have used any bore and stroke combination, but he picked the one for the best power, smoothest operation, etc, for a sports-saloon / grand-touring type car application where as old Henry needed an engine that suited soccer mums, tradies, horse and boat owners, and old guys in hats towing caravans, etc, so they needed something to make good torque at lower revs, rather than big HP and 8000rpm.

And yes, I agree there are way more parts available for the Bob Marley, (go on, figure that one out :P ) but how many parts can you get, at a decent price, for a 20-30 year old car, that's not from M-sport or similar. 8-)

I like the sound of a good BMW I6, and they are (usually) nice driving cars, but for all round use, including towing, in our climate, I'd rather have a Falcon 6 than almost any other engine. Horsepower sounds nice on paper, but torque wins races. I can't believe they are never going to make another one. :cry:

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:37 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

sooty72 wrote:
I agree there are way more parts available for the Bob Marley, (go on, figure that one out :P
I won't say what brand it is, but his son brought it in after being in storage for 30 odd years to be restored on Counting Cars, IIRC.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:43 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Yeah they finally start making cars that the door handles don't fall off, pick it up with excellent brakes take it to the tune up shop and your got a weapon that doesn't break, wife can drive it.

Take it up to the BMW, or MERC for 1/2 price.

Then they stop, WTF

what do ya buy, front wheel drive, have to get used to doing burnouts in reverse,

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]