Fordmods Logo

ripping out a/c compressor? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:19 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

G'day all,

I have just gone through this exact drama,

While heading back from Cairns to Sydney, just west of Bundaberg I pulled into the hotel and decided to check out why the engine temp was getting hot when stopped and the Aircon was going from cold to hot.

While nutting around I noticed that the compressor was extreamly hot and there was dust all over it.
Upon removing the belt I noticed that the aircon pulley was very tight to turn so went to the local RACQ bloke for some help and options (It wasn't going to make it to Sydney...maybe another 200ks I would guess).
I managed to get an old pully and new bearing from Rockhampton sent up to me and as stated earlier was quite a simple job. Did not need a puller, I mearly tapped the pulley (and bearing) off with a hammer and gently tapped the new reco'ed one back on.

You can easily get a new pulley bearing and easily install it into the old pulley. Just make sure that you disconnect the compressor wire to ensure that the aircon system cant activate inadvertantly until the compressor is changed..

It seems the compressor was locking up eventually burning away all the clutch material into the pulley metal. The ECU had picked up this extra loading and must have upped the revs etc to try and overcome the problem. Eventually the compressors over temp switch was deactivating the compressor stopping the aircon from working.
When I had fixed the problem the engine was having trouble maintaining idle and came to the conclusion that it was reving up for a problem that no longer existed and then would recover back down to normal. Then it would again rev up and then back again.
I reset the ECU back to base settings (By disconnecting the battery for 5-10 mins) and making the ECU learn again. Problem solved!

Now I just need the $1000 to get a new compressor, dryer, a flush and regas!!!

I have also just noticed (may have been related to the problem above but I doubt it) is that the tensioner arm is not sitting square with the front of the motor causing the belt to just rub againt the tensioner arm on the lower pulley.

Hope thats a bit more informative.

cya
EFfutura

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el faimont, dual fuel

VIC, Australia

with the tensioner arm rubbing i have found on some cars this inevitably happens why i don't know.
in the x-taxi ef we just put very thin washers inbetween pulley arm and engine on the bottom two bolts only, have had no dramas over the 150,000k's done afterwards.

why do u write in here.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2