Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: rocker bolts
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:33 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Do they unscrew by hand or they are stiff and require mechanical advantage to get them out (stud wrench or similar)...

Now the heads have snapped they should unscrew by hand (no longer any tension there)... If not you've pulled the threads and bound the bolts...

Best case is re-tapping the threads...

Worst case is changing the head...

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:35 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 1995 EF Ford Fairmont

QLD, Australia

will have a look at it tommorow and sort it out. will let you know what happens but should be okay.

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Isn't the thread in the rockers not head ??

EDIT : had a look in my pics when I did a cam swap and the threads for the rocker cover bolts are in the rocker gear. So if there stripped just get new rocker gear

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:16 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

ef_falcon_95 wrote:

EDIT : had a look in my pics when I did a cam swap and the threads for the rocker cover bolts are in the rocker gear. So if there stripped just get new rocker gear

i think he is talking about the bolts that hold the rocker assembly to the head?

and they must be faulty bolts because they are h/t and are screwed into alloy, the alloy will strip out long before the bolt will snap, and they usually strip out with anything over 25+nm of torque...

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
ef_falcon_95 wrote:

i think he is talking about the bolts that hold the rocker assembly to the head?

and they must be faulty bolts because they are h/t and are screwed into alloy, the alloy will strip out long before the bolt will snap, and they usually strip out with anything over 25+nm of torque...

Oh my mistake. I thought they were talking about the rocker cover bolts because it was suggested to go to a bolt place etc ?? As rocker cover bolts have that seal and aren't a normal bolt.
Try a hardware like bunnings or something like that . As suggested above. Shouldn't be too hard to get a set.

I hate doing up rocker gear bolts. It feels like they are going to strip but at the same time doesn't feel like there tight enough.

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

I wouldn't be too worried about second hand ones being stretched anyway, they are only done up to 25nm max.

25 fells like nipped up compared to how tight you'd do your water pump bolts by hand for example.

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:36 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: 1995 EF Ford Fairmont

QLD, Australia

alright sounds good guys, will rip the rest of the broken bolts out and get some new ones from up town some where and see what happens.

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:04 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: au fairmont ghia

SA, Australia

Hi all, have a stripped rocker assembly thread. Going to do a heli coil, anyone know the exacting size and pitch i have to use ? hoping to get off ebay. Needless to say I'm running it without a bolt torqued up, and i cracked the front rocker oil housing because a lost shim was under there, so its split from front rocker cover bolt all the way through the 1st arch, been chasing a noisy spring/lifter tap, replace spring collets, new lifters, though one often has leak down for a few secs on start up very rarely. got spare bolts and rocker gear, just PIA as I've removed the rocker gear a billion times already haha. 1 last time, otherwise it must be a vale issue. cheers for any info you guys can share.

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:16 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: au fairmont ghia

SA, Australia

Yep!! was rocker assembly bolt helicoiled it, tick/clicking /tapping noise is gone :D took an hour from an ebay helicoil kit $60 2 beers. ;)

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2