Fordmods Logo

rocker cover seal 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: rocker cover seal
Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:19 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hey,

Well after a pain in the a** of a night, with the break lights falling on the top of Mt Dandenong, I reached the base only to be greated by the smell of burning oil...

Anyway on close inspection it appears to be coming from the front (head light end) of the rocker cover on the passenger side. So me thinks I may need a new rocker cover seal... appears to be dripping down from there on to the case and thats where it's burning... dam it

Anyway, two questions...

1. While it appears to be the rocker cover seal... anything else on the right hand (passenger side) front end, top, that could possible leak oil besides the rocker cover?

2. How hard is it to replace the rocker cover seal myself? Anything I should watch out for that may cause me problems? Also how much would a new seal cost me from bursons or the like... and anything else I would need for installing it... silicone gel or the like... may sound like a dumb question, but I'd rather ask a dumb question than make a dumb mistake!

Cheers Guys

Jono

PS. The car is a 1997 EL GLi I6 4.0L Sedan, 145,000 on the clock

'97 GLi, K&N Pod, Dual Lukeys - 2.5" pipe - 3.5" Tip, Lowered all round on King Spring Super Lows, MP3 Deck, Sub/Amp

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

a new rocker cover gasket will be about $60 from ford but im sure repco bursons etc sell them for a lot cheaper. can you actually see oil running out of the rocker cover. and how much oil is burning i know ive had oil burn but more often than not it burns on the exaust prob only the bottom part of the block that oil will burn. someone please correct me if im wrong here.

anywyas the rocker cover gasket it very easy to change anyway.
there is a grove in the rocker cover that you push the gasket into very straight forward indeed. just make sure when u put the new gasket on it seals properly, because its easy to knock it off slightly when you put the rocker cover abck on

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]