Fordmods Logo

Rough starting on hot days ..I'm MEGA shat-off, PLEASE HELP! 

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: The DEVEL XR6

WA, Australia

Kingkezza wrote:
markr154 wrote:
Well, I haven't cleaned my injectors since I've had the car (yeah, I know), and god knows when they were last done (if at all) by the previous owner ...so I reckon a good Carbon Clean is a good place to start (cleans deposits off fuel system, valves & ports etc.) ...backed up with the 77 deg C Hiflow Thermostat.

Maybe it's just that my fuel system is clogged up with so much s**t...

I honestly think that it's not likely to be something along the lines of having too much s**t in your fuel system, because surely that would show up all the time. As for the injectors, i'm not entirely sure how sensitive they are to heat but i'm sure a good carbon clean can't hurt, and while you're at it some injector cleaner. Just make sure you don't use that nasty red dot stuff, i don't know how the hell they are allowed to sell car products. Mind you if you're dumb enough to buy that s**t your car deserves to s**t itself!

Nope, I'm not that dumb.

Apparently the Carbon Clean cleans the injectors too ...better than an Ultrasonic clean.

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd, JMM DEV 5 enhanced (161 rwkw custom tuned), Eliminator Switch Chip, 18" BA GTP rims, Pedders Superlows, BA XR6 badges, BA Sunroof, Pioneer Stereo, Splits, 6x9's, 10" sub, 700W 6-ch Viper amp.
QUARTER MILE PB: currently 14.590 @ 96.00 mph ...BOOST AHEAD!!

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

uglybob wrote:
don't go to fraud mark! they'll just rip you off even more! :roll:

I hear ya!

I got quoted $450.00 for an injector clean at McInerney Ford Morley!

...and the shirt off my back! :shock:

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd, JMM DEV 5 enhanced (161 rwkw custom tuned), Eliminator Switch Chip, 18" BA GTP rims, Pedders Superlows, BA XR6 badges, BA Sunroof, Pioneer Stereo, Splits, 6x9's, 10" sub, 700W 6-ch Viper amp.

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:34 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

go elsewhere mate - ford isn't worth it. my mates family have finally realised this, after time & time again being f**k over by s**t servicing

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

uglybob wrote:
go elsewhere mate - ford isn't worth it. my mates family have finally realised this, after time & time again being f**k over by s**t servicing

Thanks Frase, ...just wish I knew where to go!

I'm really just taking potshots with this Carbon Clean & thermostat s**t ...so I hope something works!

By the way, got quoted $780.00 for dumping my ride 2" (4 x coils & alignment, and camber kit) at Malaga Springs & Suspension ...is that a reasonable deal? They certainly seemed to know their stuff!

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:47 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

i'd be going to Greg Adams Autos in balcatta - if i wasn't working on my car myself, thats where i'd be going. better than ford! :?

sounds ok on the suspension - get a swaybar done at the same time! :wink:

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

uglybob wrote:
i'd be going to Greg Adams Autos in balcatta - if i wasn't working on my car myself, thats where i'd be going. better than ford! :?

sounds ok on the suspension - get a swaybar done at the same time! :wink:

Will pop in and see them ...cheers man!

What the hell is a swaybar exactly?

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

large metal pole (why ugly bob loves them so much)

runs under the engine at the front between wheels, stops body roll thru corners..

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Gaz wrote:
im running one of those tridon 77 degree thermostats. im fine with it.

my car sits on the L on the freeway.. heavy driving in peak hour will see it get upto the R/M.

generally, the temp wont go below about 80 degrees at a minimum, in winter it might drop a bit lower? maybe switch back if its an issue. so it should be well outta warmup mode. and 15 degrees difference. f**k all i say. its in the normal range on the guage its all good ;)

as for taking it to ford. they only build the cars, its not like they actually know how to fix them!

cars generally do haev a harder time starting when its been hot and have been turned off. how are your injectors? i would be leaning towards them more than anything if its rough.

Hey Gaz,

Here's a link to the type of thermostat I'm going for (High flow type, just after the 'selecting the correct thermostat' paragraph) approx $37.00 each:

http://www.are.com.au/feat/techt/thermostat.htm

Is this the type you've got?

I'm going for the 170 deg F (77 deg C) as a double whammy against my temp fluctuations.

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Gaz wrote:
large metal pole (why ugly bob loves them so much)

runs under the engine at the front between wheels, stops body roll thru corners..

LOL ...will ask about that too!

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

pretty sure mine was a tridon one.

just went though all my car receipts.. f**k me theres a few of them! (specially coventry's really need trade price there!)

Part number - TT228-170
Description - Thermostat 54mm 77 DEGC (2stage)
Total Price: $27.61

thats from coventry's in morley.

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Gaz wrote:
pretty sure mine was a tridon one.

just went though all my car receipts.. f**k me theres a few of them! (specially coventry's really need trade price there!)

Part number - TT228-170
Description - Thermostat 54mm 77 DEGC (2stage)
Total Price: $27.61

thats from coventry's in morley.

Yeah, you have the STD 77 deg C 2-stage.

The part no. for the High flow 77 deg C thermostat is TST 0228 H-170, price $37.00 each from Veale Auto Parts, Malaga.

I originally had Lubey, Lubey, Lubey freakin' Lubemobil (f**k useless) come out and check my cooling system soon after I bought the car, and they replaced my thermostat ...probably with the STD 90 deg C one.

I guess going with the high flow one can't hurt...

Need to get this problem sorted ASAP...

Thanks for all your advice!

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:50 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 05 BA MKII XR8, 95 EF gli Wagon

NSW, Australia

it seems weird that it only happens when hot. how old is ur battery?

i had a similar problem.

my ef currently does not have a heat shield over my extractors. JMM race series. hence my engine bay gets extremly hot. it usually runs between R-M 'NORMAL' and on hot days it can run between O-R.

Was a b**ch to start again after going for a drive and ran really rough. start driving again and it was fine.

seemed like the battery was getting hot and only had just enough power to crank the engine over once or twice. only just enough for it to run by itself. i put a new battery havnt had a problem since.

starts perfectly every time now.

hope this helps.

Bucko

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR6

WA, Australia

markr154 wrote:
uglybob wrote:

Thanks Frase, ...just wish I knew where to go!

I'm really just taking potshots with this Carbon Clean & thermostat s**t ...so I hope something works!

By the way, got quoted $780.00 for dumping my ride 2" (4 x coils & alignment, and camber kit) at Malaga Springs & Suspension ...is that a reasonable deal? They certainly seemed to know their stuff!

That qutoe sounds reasonable depending on what brand of coils they are? I'm assuming you still want the superlows? You do realise that if you're front shocks are standard it's best to get them changed out for shortened shocks yea? Basically you might get away with running superlows on your standard front shockies if they are in good condition. But please not even if they are in good nic they're going to wear a lot faster (like a year or something b4 new ones). You probably already know this but just thought i'd bring it to your attenetion just in case :) BTW battery idea sounds pretty good, for $100 i reckon it's worth a try!

5spd Heritage Green EL XR6. Wheels by ROH. Stereo by Clarion. Exhaust by Pacemaker & Lukey. Suspension by Whiteline, Durashock and K-Mac.

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

BUCKO wrote:
it seems weird that it only happens when hot. how old is ur battery?

i had a similar problem.

my ef currently does not have a heat shield over my extractors. JMM race series. hence my engine bay gets extremly hot. it usually runs between R-M 'NORMAL' and on hot days it can run between O-R.

Was a b**ch to start again after going for a drive and ran really rough. start driving again and it was fine.

seemed like the battery was getting hot and only had just enough power to crank the engine over once or twice. only just enough for it to run by itself. i put a new battery havnt had a problem since.

starts perfectly every time now.

hope this helps.

Bucko

Sorry mate, but I have actually recently replaced my battery (heavy duty) with no change!

Night time or cooler days, no probs ...hot days, different story!

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

Consider moving to tasmania for the summer :?: 8-)

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next