Fordmods Logo

Royal purple engine oil - What thickness? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Royal purple engine oil - What thickness?
Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

If you are buying an oil for more horsepower, you are probably wasting your time. A good synthetic will give you a small gain - but nothing you could remotely feel. I have seen several independent tests of Royal Purple being used in engine, trans and diff, and the power increase is in the range of 0.5%-1.0%. You will achieve a greater gain simply by going to a lighter weight of the oil you are already using.

But Royal Purple will definitely reduce wear, heat and fuel consumption because it reduces friction. The article mentioned above should be enough proof of that. Consider it cheap insurance or an engine life extender. If you want to reduce the cost, just extend your drain interval - Royal Purple easily has the durability and higher additive package to handle it safely (but replace your filter as normal).

Incidentally, clean oil doesn't necessarily mean good oil. A top quality oil will have more detergents in it. Throw it in an engine that has accumulated sludge and varnish, and it will be black in 100kms - and that's a good thing.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

The only reason i was looking at using royal purple is the frictionless technology they use. Anything that helps to increase the life of my motor is worth it. Plus i only have to change oil once a year. Seems worth it to me.

Cheers

Sam

LOW, LOUD AND LUMPY

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB2

VIC, Australia

i just changed mine to royal purple 20-50 i think ,it runs smoother didnt really noticed any power improvement but it runs better, also used the ford oil filter(motorcraft) instead of ryco and oil pressure is up as well .engines done 407,000 and bottom end is noisy but its reduced the bearing slap alot .

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: FG 2010 XR8 Ute

WA, Australia

the sam wrote:
The only reason i was looking at using royal purple is the frictionless technology they use. Anything that helps to increase the life of my motor is worth it. Plus i only have to change oil once a year. Seems worth it to me.

Cheers

Sam

bingo... thats why i went with it :P

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Im a fan of Valvoline and have been using there oils for about 5yrs now and also considering going full Synthetic but not 100% sure as yet.

I currently use there Dura Blend Semi Synthetic 15w50 in my EF XR6 with 166,xxx kms and engine runs nice and smooth but i do have a miss on idel which i carnt figure out...................

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2