Fordmods Logo

sensor 96 ef 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: sensor 96 ef
Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ef falcon

QLD, Australia

Just recently in my daughter 96 ef falcon a minor flat spot or miss and sometimes feels like it might almost stall when coming to operating at idle also a drag start has also started to be a little noticeable to. Checking over anything visible that might be an indicator, on inspection it made me wonder the age and condition of the battery so checked, all good there, fully charged indicator, so continued on trying to solve this other minor problem. Changed the plugs but stopped short on doing the leads as they look to be in good condition, no ware or cracks etc. A mechanic told me not to go spending heaps of money on lots of different things until i first carefully cleaned the mas sensor?, or the sensors due to fine particles absorb through the air intake this can send incorrect information to the efi throwing a miss or flat spot in response, by carefully spraying with brake cleaner or similar product that leaves no residue will generally 9 out of 10 times fix the issues, hence my question where might i locate this? also any other views that may be handy to look at to prevent this ol girl from anything major trouble. Since the new plugs, it seems to have improved the drag start and feels somewhat improved and running better but still has this flat spot mentioned earlier. Any thoughts?
Cheers
Jeani

Post subject: Re: sensor 96 ef
Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:01 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Your Mechanic is a bloody idiot. SOHC 4.0L are fitted with a MAP sensor which you can't clean. He is talking about a MAF, which is fitted to the V8's. You can't clean the MAP sensor, if it plays up the car will run like crap and blow heaps of smoke.

Check the air filter is clean. Check the plug leads at night in the dark with the engine running, you will easily see and arcing from the leads.

When was the Oxygen (O2) sensor last changed?

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Hi SWC,

Lucky for me he is not my mechanic, he just just trying to be or knows whole lot of everything i guess. Anyway im off to check the leads for arc. Tomorrow, the air filter will get check and if needed replaced, no biggy there! As for the o2 sensor, thats an unknown so where would i locate that it and is this easily available for replacement?
Cheers, my friend
Jeani :D

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

SWC,

No arc under the bonnet, all good, process of elimination now air filter and O2 sensor.

Jeani

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

SWC,

Been doing some forum reading regarding the o2 sensor, do i need to put never/anti seize grease on the thread, seems to be conflicting opinions on that?
Appears a no brainer to install just need to locate it. Also, do i need to reset anything or make other sensor aware of this installation?

Cheers
Jeani

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

O2 sensor is located in the exhaust manifold. You will need to remove the heatshield to access it if the car isn't fitted with extractors. It is the only electrical wiring leading to the exhaust.

Attachment:
EF Exhaust.jpg
EF Exhaust.jpg [ 144.87 KiB | Viewed 218 times ]

New O2 sensor should come with some anti seize on the thread. You can add more if you wish, I always do. Don't get anything on the sensor tip.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]