Fordmods Logo

servicing 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: servicing
Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:33 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Posts: 22

Joined: 31st Jan 2005

Location: sydney
NSW, Australia

howdy
I need my car serviced, and i dont have time to do it myself, who would u guys suggest i take the EF too, i dont wanna pay hunderds of dollars, but just need the usual oil change, filter change, brake inspection ect ect.
Do i trust ford servicing to do it, or will they make me pay a fortune and i should just hit a local mechanic.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 5313

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Surf, Turbo Diesel

Location: Melbourne, S.E Suburbs
VIC, Australia

dont goto ford a.k.a fraud

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 44

Posts: 10126

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

ok while you may not feel qualified doing a brake inspection - the oil and filter is not urgent and will only take a few minutes. Save yourself the $$$ and do it yourself! Get the oil and filter and then just do it when you do have time. Charging for labour on a simple job like that is a mechanics wet dream!

 

_________________

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 5313

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Surf, Turbo Diesel

Location: Melbourne, S.E Suburbs
VIC, Australia

go down to you local super cheap...
get the gregory's manual thingy..
that will tell you how to do oil n s**t

also grab a filter and oill
magnetec is good oil
and oil filter V01 is the oil filter you need
simple job mate...
wont take you that long...

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 44

Posts: 10126

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

chunkz wrote:
go down to you local super cheap...
get the gregory's manual thingy..
that will tell you how to do oil n s**t

also grab a filter and oill
magnetec is good oil
and oil filter V01 is the oil filter you need
simple job mate...
wont take you that long...

coming from someone who was insisting on going to k-mart auto .... :roll:

 

_________________

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 578

Joined: 22nd Mar 2005

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

yeah man. Just change the oil and filter urself and don't let some s**t mechanic get rich off your back.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:38 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 47

Posts: 1826

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

Location: Bayside, Brisbane
QLD, Australia

Yeah why pay a fricken Mechanic around $180 for what? Like all they do is change your Oil, Oil filter and Spark plugs and they charge an extra mark up on those parts as well. Then they give your car a going over so they can find other problems on it for them to fix and charge you for next weeks work.

 

_________________

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 2282

Joined: 14th Jan 2005

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

1 SLY 97EL wrote:
Yeah why pay a fricken Mechanic around $180 for what? Like all they do is change your Oil, Oil filter and Spark plugs and they charge an extra mark up on those parts as well. Then they give your car a going over so they can find other problems on it for them to fix and charge you for next weeks work.


we need to get paid as well you know. plus we get parts at trade price and sell them at retail price. of course we look over the car to see if anything is wrong with it. imagine if you brought your car in and we done the service but neglected to mention that your your front brakes were border line metal to metal, then 10min after picking up your car you go and stack it into a pole. if you survive, tell me your not going to come back and flip out and hand us a law suit coz we didnt tell you it needs brakes. its called "Preventative Maintenance" not all mechanics are dodgy C*** out there to stooge you out of your hard earned money, especially the small bussiness owners who dont have a customer list from here to wazoo.

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 48

Posts: 2537

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Is that all the good ole mechanics do? I do the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, leads, plugs, coolant myself, what else would the mechanic do, do they adjust timing or enything else?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:14 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 47

Posts: 1826

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

Location: Bayside, Brisbane
QLD, Australia

nannas_ed wrote:
1 SLY 97EL wrote:
Yeah why pay a fricken Mechanic around $180 for what? Like all they do is change your Oil, Oil filter and Spark plugs and they charge an extra mark up on those parts as well. Then they give your car a going over so they can find other problems on it for them to fix and charge you for next weeks work.


we need to get paid as well you know. plus we get parts at trade price and sell them at retail price. of course we look over the car to see if anything is wrong with it. imagine if you brought your car in and we done the service but neglected to mention that your your front brakes were border line metal to metal, then 10min after picking up your car you go and stack it into a pole. if you survive, tell me your not going to come back and flip out and hand us a law suit coz we didnt tell you it needs brakes. its called "Preventative Maintenance" not all mechanics are dodgy C*** out there to stooge you out of your hard earned money, especially the small bussiness owners who dont have a customer list from here to wazoo.


Easy Tiger! If the shoe fits wear it! I myself like other people have been burnt to many times buy a few bad apple mechanics that take "Preventative Maintenance" to a whole new level. Problem is some Mechanics buy parts at Trade like you say, but then they put a mark-up on top of the retail price after that. Then obviously you dont find out that you got "burnt" until later on after the job is done or you decide to get it done at a different Mechanic. Or they fit a cheap s**t part on your Car and charge you for the Premium part. If you told some Mechanics that "Money" wasn't an issue and to do what they think needs doing. His eyes would light up like a cash register and before you knew it your whole motor and driveline would be needlesssly replaced and at 20% mark-up on retail. Like with some Mechanics they look at the general public as a Cow ready to be milked for its money. Sure their are good Mechanics out their. Just few and far between.

 

_________________

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:14 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Posts: 22

Joined: 31st Jan 2005

Location: sydney
NSW, Australia

i know a few mechanics, and all good blokes, but i just have an issue that my car does a s**t load of kilometers, a lot of them over the mountains, on bilpin road (if any of you know it, great road, but fairly dangerous), and i cant afford to have any stuff ups, and i because of that driving, my car gets a decent workout every week.
So i need someone that can look at everything, and tell me if my brakes need replacing, or things are wearing a bit loose, so i dont loose it as im screaming around a corner at 110km/h with trucks about and cliffs to fall off. :shock:
So i need a mechanic that can see stuff i cant, and has knowledge and expertise to do a check, even if its only once a year.
I, as most people here can do simple oil changes, but some things need an expert.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 2282

Joined: 14th Jan 2005

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

1 SLY 97EL wrote:
nannas_ed wrote:
1 SLY 97EL wrote:
Yeah why pay a fricken Mechanic around $180 for what? Like all they do is change your Oil, Oil filter and Spark plugs and they charge an extra mark up on those parts as well. Then they give your car a going over so they can find other problems on it for them to fix and charge you for next weeks work.


we need to get paid as well you know. plus we get parts at trade price and sell them at retail price. of course we look over the car to see if anything is wrong with it. imagine if you brought your car in and we done the service but neglected to mention that your your front brakes were border line metal to metal, then 10min after picking up your car you go and stack it into a pole. if you survive, tell me your not going to come back and flip out and hand us a law suit coz we didnt tell you it needs brakes. its called "Preventative Maintenance" not all mechanics are dodgy C*** out there to stooge you out of your hard earned money, especially the small bussiness owners who dont have a customer list from here to wazoo.


Easy Tiger! If the shoe fits wear it! I myself like other people have been burnt to many times buy a few bad apple mechanics that take "Preventative Maintenance" to a whole new level. Problem is some Mechanics buy parts at Trade like you say, but then they put a mark-up on top of the retail price after that. Then obviously you dont find out that you got "burnt" until later on after the job is done or you decide to get it done at a different Mechanic. Or they fit a cheap s**t part on your Car and charge you for the Premium part. If you told some Mechanics that "Money" wasn't an issue and to do what they think needs doing. His eyes would light up like a cash register and before you knew it your whole motor and driveline would be needlesssly replaced and at 20% mark-up on retail. Like with some Mechanics they look at the general public as a Cow ready to be milked for its money. Sure their are good Mechanics out their. Just few and far between.


i totally agree that there are dodgy mechanics out there. beleive me ive been stitched up before but didnt relise it at the time. its good that some people, 1 SLY 97EL for eg. can do the basic oil and filter change and a few other things, but you also have to remember that there are other people out there that cant do these types of things nad that they need a mechanic to do it. i dont beleive in sticthin people for their cash i feel as an apprentice that i have some sort of value for money and especially now it doesnt come easy. ive spoken to my boss about some dodgy mechanics out there and hes against it too. As he so frquantly puts it "we need to think about tommorow and not just today" by this he means we bring the customers in, we do what they want done and we inform them of any other legitimate hazards that may be wrong with the car/bike

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:55 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 48

Posts: 2537

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

nannas_ed wrote:
1 SLY 97EL wrote:
nannas_ed wrote:
1 SLY 97EL wrote:
Yeah why pay a fricken Mechanic around $180 for what? Like all they do is change your Oil, Oil filter and Spark plugs and they charge an extra mark up on those parts as well. Then they give your car a going over so they can find other problems on it for them to fix and charge you for next weeks work.


we need to get paid as well you know. plus we get parts at trade price and sell them at retail price. of course we look over the car to see if anything is wrong with it. imagine if you brought your car in and we done the service but neglected to mention that your your front brakes were border line metal to metal, then 10min after picking up your car you go and stack it into a pole. if you survive, tell me your not going to come back and flip out and hand us a law suit coz we didnt tell you it needs brakes. its called "Preventative Maintenance" not all mechanics are dodgy C*** out there to stooge you out of your hard earned money, especially the small bussiness owners who dont have a customer list from here to wazoo.


Easy Tiger! If the shoe fits wear it! I myself like other people have been burnt to many times buy a few bad apple mechanics that take "Preventative Maintenance" to a whole new level. Problem is some Mechanics buy parts at Trade like you say, but then they put a mark-up on top of the retail price after that. Then obviously you dont find out that you got "burnt" until later on after the job is done or you decide to get it done at a different Mechanic. Or they fit a cheap s**t part on your Car and charge you for the Premium part. If you told some Mechanics that "Money" wasn't an issue and to do what they think needs doing. His eyes would light up like a cash register and before you knew it your whole motor and driveline would be needlesssly replaced and at 20% mark-up on retail. Like with some Mechanics they look at the general public as a Cow ready to be milked for its money. Sure their are good Mechanics out their. Just few and far between.


i totally agree that there are dodgy mechanics out there. beleive me ive been stitched up before but didnt relise it at the time. its good that some people, 1 SLY 97EL for eg. can do the basic oil and filter change and a few other things, but you also have to remember that there are other people out there that cant do these types of things nad that they need a mechanic to do it. i dont beleive in sticthin people for their cash i feel as an apprentice that i have some sort of value for money and especially now it doesnt come easy. ive spoken to my boss about some dodgy mechanics out there and hes against it too. As he so frquantly puts it "we need to think about tommorow and not just today" by this he means we bring the customers in, we do what they want done and we inform them of any other legitimate hazards that may be wrong with the car/bike


Pity you guys aren't in Perth!
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:16 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 47

Posts: 1826

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

Location: Bayside, Brisbane
QLD, Australia

Or in Brisbane :cry:

 

_________________

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:04 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names