Fordmods Logo

shredding belts i think its the harmonic balancer 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: shredding belts i think its the harmonic balancer
Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ED XR6

VIC, Australia

I bought an ed that had the serpentine conversion on it and a few thousand ks later a belt started shredding on it, i replaced it and tonight i was giving it a bit and it shredded and came off resulting in it ghetting a bit hot i turned it off not long after when i realised what happened, i think it looks like the harmonic balancer is out to far towarda the rad, making it rub on the tensioner,vdo i need to replace the h/b and how do i go about it? Also there is a light on my dash now its like a container with a waterlevel near the top with a pic of a fan in it, what is this?
Cheers

Post subject: Re: shredding belts i think its the harmonic balancer
Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford EF - Garret TO4Z

TAS, Australia

check your harmonic balancer bolt, im guessing if its loose it will come out,,, dont try and wack the harmonic balancer towards the crank because you will trash your thrust bearings, (thease stop your crank from moving front to back and take end thrust)

erm make sure the battery isant flying over and hitting the powersteering pumps pully, lol tyed my battery back after finding marks on battery today lol

might pay to check out your water pump, also your water level probally is low as light is comeing on

Crank Assembly balanced, HV oil pump, ACL Trimetal bearings, "1 extra oil clearance taking to around 0.0650-0.0700 on mains and big ends, Moly rings,, Xr6 Cam, POD ( Possibly oversize injectors), Block, Head, Timing cover, belt idler, Alternator,painted in ford light blue

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

The light is your 'Low Coolant Level' warning light. Top up the coolant and it should go out. In regards to the belt, my Ex's EF had the same issue. Turned out it was the tensioner itself that was bent ever so slightly, but it was enough to move the belt forward enough to rub on the inside of the casting near the pulley and wear it out rather quickly. Remove the tensioner assembly and have a look on the 'arm' where the pulley is for wear marks.

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

is your balencer seperating? os is it the whole balencer coming forward. if its coming forward do up the big nut in the middle to push it back into place.

also that light on your dash is you "low coolant level" light.
so check your coolant level. or if thats fine it could be the sensor itself fried. i believe they are in the side of the bottle.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford EF - Garret TO4Z

TAS, Australia

balancer bolt= 115-135nm according to max Ellery book

Crank Assembly balanced, HV oil pump, ACL Trimetal bearings, "1 extra oil clearance taking to around 0.0650-0.0700 on mains and big ends, Moly rings,, Xr6 Cam, POD ( Possibly oversize injectors), Block, Head, Timing cover, belt idler, Alternator,painted in ford light blue

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ED XR6

VIC, Australia

Thanks guys its got me thinking where my coolant went? Pretty sure the level was fine before this happened, and f**k all coolant leaked out just a little out of coolant bottle cap? And i have a feeling the harmonic balancer is stuffed but i will check if the bolt is loose first you can claerly see the balancer is sitting forward, ill have a good look tomorro and get back to you

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]