Simple timer to keep EL thermofans running when you stop 

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:21 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

Bozz wrote:
I agree with the EWP idea would provide far superior cooling to this simple solution but an EWP kit will cost a lot more than a pot of VB.

Disco Frank:

I didn't mean to imply you were having a go at the idea and I apologise if it sounded that way, my only concern is the suggestion running something like this could harm the motor. Somebody please explain how or correct the original post to remove the (what I believe to be) misinformation.

Cheers

nart thats cool amn tryign to be diplomatic sort of thign so not to start a big arguement

not sure if it will/will not harm the engine
mm make a electronic thermstat and u be right :)

yes the EWP is a few $$

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ALTED XR6 - ALTED EA - EF TAXI

QLD, Australia

Personaly I think its quite a good idea, its not like its to cool the motor totally down in 90 seconds or anything, But I mean, quite often (in summer up in qld anyway!) people park their car's, Only to come back and find a puddle of green colant underneath there car. Im not saying all the time, but sometimes this is cause by the radiator hoses blowing because there is to much pressure / heat in them. Because the car is not moving, they can't cool themself's down .. Running the thermo fans for 90 sec's after the car is shut down will help the radiator cool a little, and bring the temp & presure down a bit.. Not like its going to make it dead cold or anything, Just cool the water at the front a little bit ..

I don't see how it could warp any heads, because the water pump will not be running, hence not flowing any of the 'slight cooler' water into the motor.

Also, The oil pressure will not drop. all it is doing is cooling the front radiator coolant..

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:43 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

personally i think this is a s**t hot idea bozz,going to hook it up on the young fellas ef at work and see how it goes..

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:30 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

Well if there's a problem with your cooling system getting too hot after turning the motor off then I say yes, a great idea. Because as you said Bozz, the heatsoak can cause the coolant to boil and cause a pressure build up in the system.

Other than that, I'd still rather have it cool down slowly or use an EWP to circulate water through the system.

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:12 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 4 images

WA, Australia

vaxace, how did u get thermofans on your eb?

e6

looking for a decent 351 and wondering how im gonna get it set up in my AU????

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:53 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

Pretty much just undid the clutch fan, dropped the thermos in, and bought a davies craig kit to run it.

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

a number of cars actually have this feature (think saab for example), so it cant be all that bad.

however, i would have thought that other car manufacturers would be doing it already if it was such a good benefit.

BOOSTED

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: FG-XR6 EL EA '24 Dodge

NSW, Australia

Bozz wrote:
Furthermore, other testing I did confirms what I'm saying.

Right after stopping your motor, measure the water temperature using a multimeter on the ohms scale using the engines water temperature sender. You'll find after 3 mins it warms up a fair bit. Lower reading = higher temperature.

Now run the motor again, stop it and keep the fans running for 90 seconds.

Check temperature again. Tell me how much difference there is after 3 mins.

How are you sensing the temperature to run the thermos at present?

Could you use the engines water temperature sensor to sense a threshold voltage to turn the transistors on?

As the temp builds up in the engine (after the engine has been turned off) the fans will come on if the threshold is exceeded. Provided that power was still kept available to run the fans etc. after the igition was turned off.

The thermostat will be wide open and when the temp has been pulled down to a lower value set by a lower threshold value the transistors will then turn off.

Hasn't someone already posted a circuit for an electronic thermostat?

As Sigfried once said "Nein Nein Ninty Nine"

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: R32 GTR

VIC, Australia

flyingnunrt wrote:
Bozz wrote:
Furthermore, other testing I did confirms what I'm saying.

Right after stopping your motor, measure the water temperature using a multimeter on the ohms scale using the engines water temperature sender. You'll find after 3 mins it warms up a fair bit. Lower reading = higher temperature.

Now run the motor again, stop it and keep the fans running for 90 seconds.

Check temperature again. Tell me how much difference there is after 3 mins.

How are you sensing the temperature to run the thermos at present?

Could you use the engines water temperature sensor to sense a threshold voltage to turn the transistors on?

As the temp builds up in the engine (after the engine has been turned off) the fans will come on if the threshold is exceeded. Provided that power was still kept available to run the fans etc. after the igition was turned off.

The thermostat will be wide open and when the temp has been pulled down to a lower value set by a lower threshold value the transistors will then turn off.

Hasn't someone already posted a circuit for an electronic thermostat?

Thats a very good idea, wont need to run the fans when the engine isn't very hot and could set the timer for considerably longer to ensure it cools better....

I'll work on it, cheers :)

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

This may be a silly thing to bring up but is it possible to have constant power to the thermo fans thermostat so they keep running after the key is off and turns off when the water has cooled? just an idea!

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL XR6 5spd

On the subect of engine temp, what are acceptable ranges?
I know cars should be operating around 90, mine is often around 100 and ive seen it go to 110 before.

EL XR6 5spd

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:42 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EL Futura

NSW, Australia

This works perfect...we had a old 1984 nissan bluebird a few years back now and it had a over heating problem so we just installed it so the fans turned on autmatically when the car was turned on and then stayed on for about 5 minutes after it was turned off....Solves all the problems and it never hurt the car at all. I think all cars should do it...the pressure that builds up inside of the raditors due to the heat is much worse than cooling down the engin faster...after allyou are not pouring water all over it simply blowing air onto THE RADITOR (not the engin) so...wth is wrong with it,....good idea ill be doin it.

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:42 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EA Fairmont Giha

QLD, Australia

evil6 wrote:
vaxace, how did u get thermofans on your eb?

e6

I too would be interested in thermofans in my EA. Couldn't find anything in the howto's. So far I have resisted pulling the thermostat out as I have done in all my previous cars but feel that they are still needed in the southeast of the only state to live in. (spent most of my life in FNQ and have done 2 heads cause of effing faulty thermostat's)

I currently have a coolant leak after stopping that I feel could be fixed with this circuit. I have tightened all hoseclamps but there is still pressure building. The temp gauge is not climbing but.

Weapon - EA Fairmont Ghia - Pedders lows, Neothane,

From another biker - Scott, you rode hard, lived hard, loved hard, Thanx's for your advice and RIP

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2