Fordmods Logo

'Smart' Alternators 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: 'Smart' Alternators
Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon GLI

WA, Australia

The BF, along with many mechanical tweaks, also copped a 'smart' alternator. Apparently it contributes to better fuel economy. Not sure how it does this, but my alternator is playing games with me at the moment; one day it decides to work but the next day the battery light flickers all day. When the light flickers (engine running) the voltage only measured 12.0, whereas when the car was off, there was 12.5. Lights were a bit dim too, but when the battery light went off, things were fine. Today as well, no problem with the alternator.

Anyway...... should I need to replace the alternator, is the 'smart' alternator able to be fitted to an EF? Mounting brackets and stuff need to be right of course. Any improvement is welcome, naturally, even though the car's great!

Post subject: Re: 'Smart' Alternators
Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

spvd02 wrote:
The BF, along with many mechanical tweaks, also copped a 'smart' alternator. Apparently it contributes to better fuel economy. Not sure how it does this, but my alternator is playing games with me at the moment; one day it decides to work but the next day the battery light flickers all day. When the light flickers (engine running) the voltage only measured 12.0, whereas when the car was off, there was 12.5. Lights were a bit dim too, but when the battery light went off, things were fine. Today as well, no problem with the alternator.

Anyway...... should I need to replace the alternator, is the 'smart' alternator able to be fitted to an EF? Mounting brackets and stuff need to be right of course. Any improvement is welcome, naturally, even though the car's great!
Speaking generally I think the main benift of the Smart bit is to do with the voltage vs rate of charge so that the battery is charged at the optimum terminal voltage so the battery lasts longer. There may be added advantages in that you could stop the charging when the battery is full to reduce engine load. Also you colud stop charging on Wide open throttle for more power but I assume to do this you would need the co-operation of the ECU to determine WOT. Anyway I think the bigger problem for you is the mounting bracket is different and your belt will need to be a different length unless you can adjust the AC position. Also the connections are also likely to be different. Unless you can get one dirt cheap and are prepared to tinker then it won't be worth it.
Cheers
TW

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Post subject: ok
Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon GLI