Fordmods Logo

speedo wrong after 5spd conversion 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: speedo wrong after 5spd conversion
Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:12 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

hi i was just wondering if i could get some info about my problem. i recently converted my ef gli 94 auto, to a manuel. all the parts used were from an ef xr6 including the computer. everything runs fine but for some reason the speedo is out. i also had a lsd centre put in but the diff gears are the same. also it had 179.5 rwhp with the auto with speed limiter. this computer doesnt have one. anyone with info on power gains from converting to manuel?

10WEF - nolathane everything, xr6 interior manual gearbox and computer(no speed limiter). pedders sports ryder, pacemakers, 2.5" exhaust, heavy clutch, mild cam. 18 inch rims 265 rear tires

made 175.5rwhp with speed limited auto
big cam nd tune well overdue

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:15 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

manual will give you more at the wheels, but how much I am unsure.

Speedo might be out due to the speedo gear on the gearbox failing or not plugged in.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

alright. i also heard that some xr6 come out with 3.45 diff gears whereas mine has 3.23

10WEF - nolathane everything, xr6 interior manual gearbox and computer(no speed limiter). pedders sports ryder, pacemakers, 2.5" exhaust, heavy clutch, mild cam. 18 inch rims 265 rear tires

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

if your running the same ratio diff gears as you had before, but have installed a gearbox from an XR6 into a GLi, then I would say that you are running an incorrect speedo gear.
Did you swap them over when you swapped the gearboxs over?
My guess is that you have the speedo gear for the XR's 3.45 factory diff, where you are running a different diff ratio, and therefore require the speedo gear that you had in your automatic transmission.

as for power gains from converting to the manual - how longs a peice of string? depends on the individual car and set up as to how much gain.

phongus wrote:
Speedo might be out due to the speedo gear on the gearbox failing or not plugged in.

This would more than likely cause the speedo not to be working, as opposed to displaying the incorrect speed as he has indicated above.

yamum532 wrote:
alright. i also heard that some xr6 come out with 3.45 diff gears whereas mine has 3.23

So my theory above is therefore correct.

Last edited by twr7cx on Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

179hp is a nice figure for an auto, so with manual add another 13hp roughly depending what condition the auto was in

Your speedo shouldnt be out if you used the original speedo cog, if theres problems with the wiring or gearbox cog it just wont work at all, but it wont change the frequency unless you have changed diff gears

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:29 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
phongus wrote:

This would more than likely cause the speedo not to be working, as opposed to displaying the incorrect speed as he has indicated above.

Ahhh yeah...my bad...:oops: :D

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:45 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

so how hard is it to change the speedo gear? mite be better off putting the 3.45 diff gears in instead, my lsd needs a freshen up already anyway ha ha

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

will take you all of 5 mins.

Still got the auto box? there is a red cable going into a small box near the rear of the gearbox, IIRC its an 8mm bolt or a simple philips screw holding it in, undo the screw/bolt and slide the gear out. The one you take from the auto will probably be green, get under the car and do the same on the manual box, they swap straight over.

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Im sure this is the problem, you prolly have a black colored gear installed.

If theres still an issue, the worm gear on the output shaft could also be different, I doubt it, but I've heard of 2 types... however this could only be toyota boxes or holden, its been a while.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]