sports exhaust. 

Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: sports exhaust.
Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:12 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: 1999 AU Falcon

VIC, Australia

pretty much laughing cause even my original stock cat thats on is still basically new. the bloke done a whole new stock system before i brought it. me being unlucky bottomed it out and stuffed the centre piece, luckily not the cat. only reason i ended up doing it :D redbacks are pretty top notch. no drone. just a meaty low note to it. should sound even better with pacemakers to.

99 AU Falcon Forte in Galaxy Blue. Stock as a rock atm. Future Mods; Full sports exhaust, cam upgrade.

"Holden" - Australia's Most Widely Used Warning Label.

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

FordFairmont wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:

The I6 falcons on the other hand have a pretty decent factory cat and unless it blocked it's a waste of time and money replacing it. Even more so if your only plans for the car is an exhaust, headers and intake.

imo, if your doing the whole exhaust on an old car, then a new cat is a smart buy regardless if it only adds 0.3 hp

why replace everything then leave the old cat in there to fall to bits later down the track :wink:

'later down the track could be 2 months it could be 10 years. Why replace perfectly good and working item?

IF it does die head down to a wrecker and pick up stock one from a later model for less then half cost of a new one.

IMO the only reason to replace a working stock cat is so you can wank yourself over it with your mates because it has awesome CPI :roll:

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:55 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

'later down the track could be 2 months it could be 10 years. Why replace perfectly good and working item?

IF it does die head down to a wrecker and pick up stock one from a later model for less then half cost of a new one.

IMO the only reason to replace a working stock cat is so you can wank yourself over it with your mates because it has awesome CPI :roll:[/quote]

a perfectly valid point. leave it while it works. ^^

99 AU Falcon Forte in Galaxy Blue. Stock as a rock atm. Future Mods; Full sports exhaust, cam upgrade.

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

hey yeh, replace a crook 16 year old radiator, and dont bother replacing the original top & bottom coolant hoses......... because hey, thats wank factor!!!!!!

wouldve expected a smarter response from you tickford6...... although mentioning grabbing a later model one from the wreckers means you get the point, but in an indirect sort of way :|

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
$480 installed isn't what i'd call getting a** raped. Wasting money on the cat is kind of like a** raping your self though.

I don't see where I said to buy the cat? I told him to actually ask what "high flow" cat he was being sold as the place sounds f**k dodgey to be quoting $520 for a catback?

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:47 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Many, maybe too many.

NSW, Australia

Just dropped the "New" EL wagon in for a 2.5" Cat back and, custom bent, it is $340. $220 for a HiFlow 2.5" metal element Cat and I have a set of Pacemaker PH 4480 headers my brother didn't get around to using $0.00. (Ceramic coating is going to add lots of dollars but that's my call not a "must have")
$560 for 24kw fitted, that has to rate as the bargain of the motoring world in my book ($23.00/kw).
They are also going bend up a CAI pipe for me so I just have to get it powder coated (probably ceramic coating) and an SS CAI pod box, plus a cam and I'm getting close to 200kw for less than a grand.
Great for the company hack/tow car I reckon. The icing on the cake is that a friend gave me the car (155k) for Christmas because "that van (my XF) just looked so ratty" .

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Jimmy Clark wrote:
I'm getting close to 200kw for less than a grand.

Made my day.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

yep, wont gain 50 flywheel kw with an exhaust and intake pipe

add a tickford head, nice cam, and custom tune and you would be getting close though :)

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

FordFairmont wrote:
hey yeh, replace a crook 16 year old radiator, and dont bother replacing the original top & bottom coolant hoses......... because hey, thats wank factor!!!!!!

wouldve expected a smarter response from you tickford6...... although mentioning grabbing a later model one from the wreckers means you get the point, but in an indirect sort of way :|

The radiator hoses is different because if the hose fails you can wreck the engine. But I wouldn't stop at the top and bottom hoses, there's a bunch of other cooling system hoses.

If the cats fails, you just replace it, there won't be any consequentail damage. It's something I don't see the point in changing if it's working. I also don't see the point spending extra money to get some over hyped over priced metal cat or any of the other s**t they are using to up sell people these days. The stock cats have proven to work with 170rwkw.

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:52 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: ED XR6, AUII XR8

VIC, Australia

tanner892 wrote:
Yeah ive got 1 muffler, it is loud but its not ridiculous, not like a big head turning noise that cries for a defect or anything.

it does when youre outside the car :P

ED XR6, LeMans Red, 5-Speed
AUII XR8, Silhouette, 5-Speed

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:43 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

jesus. i'd even be happy with 140rwkw's. can't dump to much strain on the old 4spd though..

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 75th Anniversary Futura

SA, Australia

The 4 spd auto's can take a fair bit of power. Im running a stock 4spd in my AU with 205rwkw and its still going well.

My cat is a generic metal cat and is pretty restrictive but its handling ok. I really need to ditch what I have now and go for a 3" 100cpsi high flow with mandrel system to make it breathe.

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:07 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

shav wrote:
The 4 spd auto's can take a fair bit of power. Im running a stock 4spd in my AU with 205rwkw and its still going well.

My cat is a generic metal cat and is pretty restrictive but its handling ok. I really need to ditch what I have now and go for a 3" 100cpsi high flow with mandrel system to make it breathe.

anything up to around the 190-200kw area i'd expect the 4spd to give in.. goes to show you proved it wrong mate. good stuff. also good to see someone who appreciates the AU series falcons ;) even stock wise with 160kw's at the flywheel the one we had went like a rocket. plus your's is boosted. even better. go with a redback hi-flow mate. find them to be relatively great. my uncle's BA XR6T running 360rwkw's blew his tranny all over the road. tis a 4spd. rebuilt and good for 600 or more horsepower now. there caged animals the 4.0L's. so much potential.

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 75th Anniversary Futura

SA, Australia

4.0L I6 wrote:

anything up to around the 190-200kw area i'd expect the 4spd to give in.. goes to show you proved it wrong mate. good stuff. also good to see someone who appreciates the AU series falcons ;) even stock wise with 160kw's at the flywheel the one we had went like a rocket. plus your's is boosted. even better. go with a redback hi-flow mate. find them to be relatively great. my uncle's BA XR6T running 360rwkw's blew his tranny all over the road. tis a 4spd. rebuilt and good for 600 or more horsepower now. there caged animals the 4.0L's. so much potential.

Exactly. Also has a lot to do with the way you drive too. I have a tranny cooler and shift kit in mine. I never purposely pull standing burnouts and I don't kill the box from day to day. Servicing is regular too. Dont get me wrong I dont granny the car either, but I do push the car to its limits when I can. The good thing is the trans still behaves under normal driving conditions. Ive driven the car like this with this setup for 2 years now.

If and when I put more power through it, it will be stressed more and no doubt will eventually die quicker so there will be a need to upgrade the internals to suit. But until it spits the dummy, I'll still run it as is. 360rwkw is a s**t load of power too, so no wonder the box went on your uncles 6T.

Redback is what brand I have on my car now with the 2.5" but I havent been able to find a redback system in a 3" mandrel. Do you know if they are done for 6's?

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

buy one made for an 8, and get the exhaust fitter to run some pipe with a couple bends welded in to suit your 6

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next