Fordmods Logo

sports exhaust. 

Page 4 of 4 [ 52 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post subject: Re: sports exhaust.
Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1992 Ford Eb Series 2

4.0L I6 wrote:
found out its a redback system with 2 free flow mufflers i think. and it doesnt come with a high flow cat. just tossing up wether it would sound good enough?

Get--> high Flow cat, Single muffler exhaust 3'' dump tip, Extractors. Its loud when u put ur foot down but u can cruise at a nice beefy note..its puurrrfect lol i paid 400$ something for mine...pricey but sounds fudgin brilliant...

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU2 75th Anniversary Futura

SA, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
buy one made for an 8, and get the exhaust fitter to run some pipe with a couple bends welded in to suit your 6

I was thinking of that but was unsure how well it would go together with regards to welding pieces in etc.

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:05 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: 1999 AU Falcon

VIC, Australia

shav wrote:
4.0L I6 wrote:

anything up to around the 190-200kw area i'd expect the 4spd to give in.. goes to show you proved it wrong mate. good stuff. also good to see someone who appreciates the AU series falcons ;) even stock wise with 160kw's at the flywheel the one we had went like a rocket. plus your's is boosted. even better. go with a redback hi-flow mate. find them to be relatively great. my uncle's BA XR6T running 360rwkw's blew his tranny all over the road. tis a 4spd. rebuilt and good for 600 or more horsepower now. there caged animals the 4.0L's. so much potential.

Exactly. Also has a lot to do with the way you drive too. I have a tranny cooler and shift kit in mine. I never purposely pull standing burnouts and I don't kill the box from day to day. Servicing is regular too. Dont get me wrong I dont granny the car either, but I do push the car to its limits when I can. The good thing is the trans still behaves under normal driving conditions. Ive driven the car like this with this setup for 2 years now.

If and when I put more power through it, it will be stressed more and no doubt will eventually die quicker so there will be a need to upgrade the internals to suit. But until it spits the dummy, I'll still run it as is. 360rwkw is a s**t load of power too, so no wonder the box went on your uncles 6T.

Redback is what brand I have on my car now with the 2.5" but I havent been able to find a redback system in a 3" mandrel. Do you know if they are done for 6's?

im pretty sure the 2.5" redback i just got put on was mandrel bent. im running the single muffler and resinator. more than happy with the sound. maybe go to somewhere where they deal Xforce. my old stocky ef falcon had a 3" xforce straight through. custom made though. it lost some power but f**k it sounded mean. just go for something similar to the BA-BF 6T's xforce bolt on system. or maybe even ask a lukey dealer if they could do something for your AU. they have to fulfil the customer's request regardless anyway if it can be done. at 360rwkw it held for about 3-5months with constant beltings. ahh yeah thats nice, tempted to get mine shift kitted but being on my p's an such. i p***y foot most of the time just due to i wanna keep the car in good order haha. as any bloke does with there falcon. still great to see you dont treat her like s**t man. not many boosted AU's around plus eventhough being SOHC, they are a better engine in my opinion. more simple. :)

99 AU Falcon Forte in Galaxy Blue. Stock as a rock atm. Future Mods; Full sports exhaust, cam upgrade.

"Holden" - Australia's Most Widely Used Warning Label.

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 75th Anniversary Futura

SA, Australia

4.0L I6 wrote:
im pretty sure the 2.5" redback i just got put on was mandrel bent. im running the single muffler and resinator. more than happy with the sound. maybe go to somewhere where they deal Xforce. my old stocky ef falcon had a 3" xforce straight through. custom made though. it lost some power but f**k it sounded mean. just go for something similar to the BA-BF 6T's xforce bolt on system. or maybe even ask a lukey dealer if they could do something for your AU. they have to fulfil the customer's request regardless anyway if it can be done. at 360rwkw it held for about 3-5months with constant beltings. ahh yeah thats nice, tempted to get mine shift kitted but being on my p's an such. i p***y foot most of the time just due to i wanna keep the car in good order haha. as any bloke does with there falcon. still great to see you dont treat her like s**t man. not many boosted AU's around plus eventhough being SOHC, they are a better engine in my opinion. more simple. :)

Thanks for the kind words mate. Yeah I intend on making sure the AU can last as long as it can on stock internals. I guess we'll see how it all turns out in the long run. I dont mind the Lukey exhausts either. the main factory plant in a few minutes from my house too which makes it easier. I guess I will have to find a reseller that will do a deal.

Again Im not after top of the range exhaust, just something that will flow the way it needs and is neatly fitted. Then I will sell the 2.5" system for what I can get for it.

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:50 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: 1999 AU Falcon

VIC, Australia

shav wrote:
4.0L I6 wrote:

Thanks for the kind words mate. Yeah I intend on making sure the AU can last as long as it can on stock internals. I guess we'll see how it all turns out in the long run. I dont mind the Lukey exhausts either. the main factory plant in a few minutes from my house too which makes it easier. I guess I will have to find a reseller that will do a deal.

Again Im not after top of the range exhaust, just something that will flow the way it needs and is neatly fitted. Then I will sell the 2.5" system for what I can get for it.

no worries buddy. just not many idiots seem to value these cars as much as Bommodores. built twice as strong and last 10 times longer too the old I6. its on stock internals? you've done pretty well considering with that too. Lukey's are fairly good on every model falcon so far. well there you go ;) maybe go see them and ask if they can make a custom order for you?

although your not after top of the range you still want something with thick gauge steel so it doesnt rust through or crack within a few years. everytime i look at 3" upwards they are for the BA-BF's or all the V8's.. not really much variety at all for these days either. custom will be the best bet. should'nt cost an arm or a leg either.

99 AU Falcon Forte in Galaxy Blue. Stock as a rock atm. Future Mods; Full sports exhaust, cam upgrade.

"Holden" - Australia's Most Widely Used Warning Label.

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

shav wrote:
FordFairmont wrote:
buy one made for an 8, and get the exhaust fitter to run some pipe with a couple bends welded in to suit your 6

I was thinking of that but was unsure how well it would go together with regards to welding pieces in etc.

An exhaust place which would have a variety of bends in place should make short work of it. I got a tailpipe made up for just over $100 from diff back in 2.5" and couldn't see it being more for a piece that runs from flange of headers to close spot from a v8 exhaust.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:13 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Many, maybe too many.

NSW, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
yep, wont gain 50 flywheel kw with an exhaust and intake pipe

add a tickford head, nice cam, and custom tune and you would be getting close though :)

I've got the AU head and a new cam with the T3 chip mod and programmer. Just wondering how much head work to go for.
This isn't my first car, in fact it is my 118th car some them have been really nice too, and it's use is a work hack and to tow my race car.
A real 250kw/870kg Cortina, I've spent about $9,000 on that engine so far. Personally, for just daily driving, I prefer my 'Benz (an E350) or Porsche (a 1979 911SC) to enjoy, but that's just me, sometimes my girlfiends' WRX gives me a hoot.

My statement was meant to say that you can get some VERY significant gains with simple and well thought out modifications. You WILL get 30-35KW from a well set up exhaust and inlet.
Now let's see... 157kw + 30kw = 187kw. Now I think you'll remember that I said "close to" 200kw for $1000, 187 is close to 200 in my estimation. You may delight in being pedants but personally I see it as childish, it might be why you get so excited about old fords. I like them because the do their job reliably and cheaply and are really suited to my particular uses, but would NEVER entertain calling any Ford or Holden a performance car. I'll get my 220fwkw with the switchable J3, head, cam and inlet port matching and have a tidy little work car for the next 5-6 years and it will be reliable and comfortable, just as Henry planned it.
Don't over think the exhaust, there is almost NO gain in a 3" over 2.5", ceramic coating will get you more advantage. A bonnet vent will give more advantage. Even a large flow cat is almost useless until you get into 220kw+ figures and even then, the difference is almost negligible. Real advantages will only be got by head work and Camshaft.
To go faster you need to shift more air and keep it as cool as possible. That is the only rule, everything else you do is only to support that premise.

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 4  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4