Fordmods Logo

Starter motor is about to die 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Starter motor is about to die
Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:00 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XH

NT, Australia

My XH is getting harder and harder to start. The starter cranks the engine for a sec, but then the starter just spins. I let the key go and the starter then stops spinning with a clunk at the end as it (feels like) it is engaging again. It takes a few times to start at the moment (like 5 tries) and it runs rough for a sec with all the fuel in there.

This is getting annoying and I am pretty sure that before too long it won't start at all. I live in Broome so a hill start is out of the question.

I have read that it might be the starter clutch going and my service manual says that the overrun clutch is in the drive assembly. I am assuming this drive assembly is inside the starter so am I right in thinking a new starter will fix the problem?

Also, my ute is lowered and since I have moved away from the shed and all its handy pieces like axle stands, replacing the motor is going to be a chore. Has anyone taken the log manifold off the block to gain access or is it just a matter of trying to shrink my fingers and seeing how it goes?

Post subject: Re: Starter motor is about to die
Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF wagon

NSW, Australia

Just go grab a starter from a BA.

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

Dont bother removing the manifold, get a couple of extension bars and jack it up or put it on ramps, and do it from underneath, you WONT get it from up top. it does sound like the starter motor is causing it, however it could be that you are missing some teeth on your flywheel, in which case the gearbox must be removed to gain acsess to it.

Gab

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

A new one is on order, have to wait until wednesday until I can try to fit it. I might see if I can talk someone into hoist rental for an hour or so.

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

see if you can get it recod cheap,brushes and solinod-bearings

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

Well I got my new starter motor in today and she works a treat. Just by the amount of crap that fell out of the old one I knew it was dying. I pulled it apart and the brushes, clutch mechanism bit and coil are all on their last legs. No surprise really, the old motor lasted quite a while.

If anyones interested though, I did manage to change it from the top. My ute is lowered and I couldn't be bothered buying axle stands or ramps when I have them already at home (even though thats far away at the moment), so I tried anyway and it didn't actually take that long. All I needed was a spanner for the solenoid nut, a socket for the two mounting bolts, and a wire brush so the bolts went back in easily by hand (as far as they could). I took the MAP line and oil breather off for some room, dropped the old starter out the bottom and rested the new one on the swaybar so I could reach it from the top. Lucky my attempts to get buff have failed and I have skinny arms I suppose.

A roadside starter swap with the log manifold can be done from the top. Neat!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]