Fordmods Logo

Stopping engine deterioration 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Stopping engine deterioration
Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:15 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

Hi there, I am fairly to this forum, but have found it to be great reference point.

I recently bought a 1994 EF Fairmont Ghia (4.0ltr engine) and, after spending some time taking a look at it and doing a couple of small things, I’m pretty sure that the car has not been very well maintained by the previous owner. I had a RACV check done and they said it was okay. However, I’m not sure how thorough the check was.

This leads me to my question – is there anything that can be done (keeping in mind I only have moderate mechanical skills) to improve the condition of the engine without a major overhaul? Or even stop the engine from deteriorating any further? I am doing the usual service stuff, but not confident of doing oil seals, timing covers, etc myself. I know you can’t undo what’s been done, but can you “stop the rot”

Life’s too short to be a pr!ck, which is why I only read decent forums, like FORDMODS!

Post subject: Re: Stopping engine deterioration
Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

Serenity Now! wrote:
Hi there, I am fairly to this forum, but have found it to be great reference point.

I recently bought a 1994 EF Fairmont Ghia (4.0ltr engine) and, after spending some time taking a look at it and doing a couple of small things, I’m pretty sure that the car has not been very well maintained by the previous owner. I had a RACV check done and they said it was okay. However, I’m not sure how thorough the check was.

This leads me to my question – is there anything that can be done (keeping in mind I only have moderate mechanical skills) to improve the condition of the engine without a major overhaul? Or even stop the engine from deteriorating any further? I am doing the usual service stuff, but not confident of doing oil seals, timing covers, etc myself. I know you can’t undo what’s been done, but can you “stop the rot”
unless you have large oil leaks,they will last the engine,as for normal service----oil change 5-7000ks the same oil,dont change brands to often,change oil filter regular.that cleans the insides,out side is up to you---degreaser,etc check oil grade ford recomends for your car---then match it with the big names.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Oil specs for the EF are 15W40. How dirty is the inside of the engine, where the oil cap is???? Is there much build up stuck to the rocker gear???
How clean is the throttle body????

Attachments:
Jac's Magna, clean engine 003.jpg
Jac's Magna, clean engine 003.jpg [ 301.83 KiB | Viewed 89 times ]
Toyota Camry 94, 5S-FE, gunked up engine 008.jpg
Toyota Camry 94, 5S-FE, gunked up engine 008.jpg [ 586.52 KiB | Viewed 109 times ]
Toyota L-C FZJ105R throttle body full of dirt. 001.jpg
Toyota L-C FZJ105R throttle body full of dirt. 001.jpg [ 413.49 KiB | Viewed 88 times ]

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]