Straight Gas 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Straight Gas
Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:03 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: BA Falcon

VIC, Australia

Hi there,

Just looking for opinions of ripping the petrol in my car out and running straight gas (its an EL Fairmont running dual fuel). The fuel pump and injectors are rooted so i'm just considering not running it on petrol anymore.

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

go for it. if your lazy you can leave the petrol gear there.

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:50 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: BA Falcon

VIC, Australia

Is it as simple as just not running it on petrol at all? Or should i physically remove the petrol lines and fuel pump, etc. Also, I thought these dual fuel systems were petrol start or something?

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

mk3_1 wrote:
Is it as simple as just not running it on petrol at all? Or should i physically remove the petrol lines and fuel pump, etc. Also, I thought these dual fuel systems were petrol start or something?

it depends on the system. most duel fuel systyems automatically start on petrol and then switch to LPG. best thing to do is go see your mechanic. it won't be expensive to switch to straight LPG (I think they put some sort of primer in it so that it can start on LPG).
As for removing the old petrol stuff. i dunno if i'd bother. as the injectors, fuel pump, fuel rail and regular, lines, all weight very very little so there not gunna hinder your performance. and your tank is plastic so that won't weigh much either. and if you remvoe it you'll have to find stuff to block the holes and that. guess it just depends on weather you can be bothered. for resale value you might find that a buyer may prefer to buy the vehicle with all the petrol gear still there just incase they ever watn to go back to petrol...

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB GLi 4.0L

SA, Australia

i was in that boat. i ripped the petrol stuff out of my EB to run on straight gas but now i'm regretting it because of the price of LPG and the fact that the extra you pay for petrol actually does get you further and more power (my car isnt tuned for str8 LPG) so i'm gonna put it back in. the main reason i ripped it out was because my fuel pump would occasionally decide the join the party of its own accord and the car would double fuel (bad :( ) and then after i disconnected the fuel pump, the injectors suck started themselves one day and that was the final straw.

if you wanna see if your car starts on petrol then swaps to lpg or if it starts on lpg then just pull the relays for the fuel pump out (its the green one under the surge tank i think) or disconnect the loom from the fuel pump just onto top of the tank (you have to pull the carpet in your boot up and undo the cover plate to get to it).

if you do end up going straigh LPG then get it tuned for that (ie. raised compression and advanced timing). also, if you want i have a braodband manifold here with the injectors holes plugged up which you can have for $20.

EBII 4.0L GLi | T5 | 3.27 Spool | POD | KKK K27 Turbo | 600x300x76 FMIC | 40mm Wastegate (dead) | RPD Stg1 Cam | B&M Launch Control | Thermos | 3" Dump | Twin 2.25" Zorst | 197kw@3500rpm, 7psi LEAN!

To Come: Hydraulic Handbrake | Coilover Springs | Fuel Pump | Microtech MT8 | 455cc Injectors

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:14 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

GO FOR THE GAS! half price it is compared to fuel, i mean its your everyday car, why pay the price?

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Maybe half price but you need alot more to get the same k's! as petrol. Its currently 70c pl in Stawell Victoria. If you want some professional advice on converting to straight gas go and see Gas Research in Melbourne. Ive added a link to their site.

http://www.gasresearch.com.au/

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:48 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

70cents!!! i saw it at 58 this morning!!!

do u live in woop woop???

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Nah my parents live there and it never drops just goes up steadily. im in Melbourne where it comes down sunday and goes up wednesday!

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB GLi 4.0L

SA, Australia

joolsz is right, gas doesnt get you as far. however this is because it's a petrol engine running on LPG so to even the tables if you have your engine done for LPG ie. raised compression, advanced timing and a decent mixing system like a GRA system or even an LPG injection system, then you'll get good power and economy.

EBII 4.0L GLi | T5 | 3.27 Spool | POD | KKK K27 Turbo | 600x300x76 FMIC | 40mm Wastegate (dead) | RPD Stg1 Cam | B&M Launch Control | Thermos | 3" Dump | Twin 2.25" Zorst | 197kw@3500rpm, 7psi LEAN!

To Come: Hydraulic Handbrake | Coilover Springs | Fuel Pump | Microtech MT8 | 455cc Injectors

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]