Fordmods Logo

straight through vs. hot dog 

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ED futura

WA, Australia

Yeh thats how my ED is cat-resinator-muffler-resinator... i took off my back resinator.. mad no difference at all then replaced my muffler with a lukey turbo muffler.. a little louder but not much so i think i am goin to hollow out my cat and take off my front resinator and put a hotdog behind my muffler... see how that sounds..

It puts the lotion on its skin.. or else it gets the hose again!

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Interceptor wrote:
he means replacing the resonator with a piece of pipe VS a hotdog

the resonator will kill off a lot of droning, but will still keep a good note

There are different types of resonators/hot dogs. The old school ones with the squared off edges on them make the car buzz and they get rid of the low/mid frequency drone. I had a 1.8 n13 pulsar with a 2.5"cat back system with a resonator and old school hot dog (no mufflers) and it sounded sweet as and was still legal. even when i dropped off the old school hot dog it still sounded good but a little harsh. You could tell that it was missing but it was still legal in terms of sound level.

These new school hot dogs/resonators/cannons/whatever the ricers call them are just crap. There has been no thought go into the design of these things. Accustically all they do is make the car drone and just sit there looking pretty while being hung off the back of the car at insane angles.

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
Interceptor wrote:
he means replacing the resonator with a piece of pipe VS a hotdog

the resonator will kill off a lot of droning, but will still keep a good note

There are different types of resonators/hot dogs. The old school ones with the squared off edges on them make the car buzz and they get rid of the low/mid frequency drone. I had a 1.8 n13 pulsar with a 2.5"cat back system with a resonator and old school hot dog (no mufflers) and it sounded sweet as and was still legal. even when i dropped off the old school hot dog it still sounded good but a little harsh. You could tell that it was missing but it was still legal in terms of sound level.

These new school hot dogs/resonators/cannons/whatever the ricers call them are just crap. There has been no thought go into the design of these things. Accustically all they do is make the car drone and just sit there looking pretty while being hung off the back of the car at insane angles.

Yeah i agree. I hate the fricken Pineapple shooter exhausts :x

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:39 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

From what I've been told from a few exhaust places, from next year, whatever came standard on the car cannot be deviated from.

Eg, if you have cat/muffler/resonator as standard, then you'll need the same amount when you get your sports exhaust. If the modifications deviate from the manufacturers standard, you will get a fine, and the exhaust place will also get a much higher fine.

There's no probs with having HI-flo cat/straight through muffler/resonator or hotdog, as long as you have the same amount of mufflers on the car that when it came as standard.

And yes the resonator is a muffler, just slightly different composition.
Even if your emissions are the same, and you're within the 90decibel level, you will still need the same amount of mufflers.

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Mondeo XR5T

Power: 173 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Rossi,

Is there any hard evidence to support this anywhere? I doubt the exhaust shops would be giving you the wrong info, however, it would be interesting to have a look into it properly.

Shugg

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

I found my old 2.5 inch redback system with one muffle, one resonator to be a bit loud for me personally.

Also you have to be carefull with LWB and exhausts, they can drone very badly if not careful.

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

xcabbi wrote:

Bit difference between your typical hot dog and resinator compared to the ricey cannon mufflers! The cannon mufflers are awful, give a very odd sound - hollow would be a word I'd use to describe it...

And rossi, I'd be guessing, but what you said would probably be state dependent, and personally I don't think it'll happen.

Post subject: Re: straight through vs. hot dog
Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:51 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon XT 2005

QLD, Australia

I purchased a Ford Falcon XT Stationwagon from 2005 last November.
It has a 182 Kw 6 Cyl engine which makes a kind of "hoon" sound.
Bit like what I would call when a hoon car passes by.

I was told by a mechanic that it is a "Hotdog" exhaust.
I am now getting used to it and it doesn't annoy me.
Whilst driving you can still hear it in the background from the rear of the car but not too loud thankfully.
Outside the car you can hear it much clearer.
I am wondering if the previous owner would have installed this exhaust purely for the sound of it or does it also increase the power of the engine a bit (which in itself is powerful enough for me).

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:11 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: xr6 fg ute

NSW, Australia

Xforce catback with second muffler replaced with hot dog
https://youtu.be/kgQEf2sY0Sg

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:11 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: xr6 fg ute

NSW, Australia