Strong Fuel Smell after accelerating - 2002 Ba Futura Wagon 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Strong Fuel Smell after accelerating - 2002 Ba Futura Wagon
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:47 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA Futura Wagon 2002

VIC, Australia

Hi Guys

Lately after accelerating quite hard I have noticed a brief smell of petrol in my cabin, which dissipates quickly afterwards. Some people have suggested that I should clean / change my fuel injectors. My car has done approximately 112k kilometers I was last serviced at about 95k. As I paid over $2000 at ford last time getting it serviced and a RWC (including a new muffler) I really really really do NOT want to go back there and get charged for ridiculous things that I honestly dont even know exist. I have not changed my oil since that service and have considered changing it. Lately the exhaust has sounded a little odd, perhaps it could be related to the strong fuel smell?

I purchased the car from my parents in about November 2010 with a full service history. Being 19 I don't have spare change lying around to spend on my car (I know this probably isn't the best thing to say on a forum that is no doubt full of car enthusiasts, but as long as it gets me from A to B I am quite happy)

I would appreciate all the advice I can get, hopefully it will all be DIY as I consider myself quite handy.

Post subject: Re: Strong Fuel Smell after accelerating - 2002 Ba Futura Wagon
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:54 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

blackers92 wrote:
Hi Guys

Lately after accelerating quite hard I have noticed a brief smell of petrol in my cabin, which dissipates quickly afterwards. Some people have suggested that I should clean / change my fuel injectors. My car has done approximately 112k kilometers I was last serviced at about 95k. As I paid over $2000 at ford last time getting it serviced and a RWC (including a new muffler) I really really really do NOT want to go back there and get charged for ridiculous things that I honestly dont even know exist. I have not changed my oil since that service and have considered changing it. Lately the exhaust has sounded a little odd, perhaps it could be related to the strong fuel smell?

I purchased the car from my parents in about November 2010 with a full service history. Being 19 I don't have spare change lying around to spend on my car (I know this probably isn't the best thing to say on a forum that is no doubt full of car enthusiasts, but as long as it gets me from A to B I am quite happy)

I would appreciate all the advice I can get, hopefully it will all be DIY as I consider myself quite handy.

Firstly I'd suggest a service as it's 6,000km overdue (not having a dig at you, just saying) and as for the petrol smell you mentioned your exhaust sounded funny? could elaborate on what it sounds like?

that fact that you mentioned the exhaust sounding funny may indicate that you may have loose exhaust bolts that hold 2 sections of the pipe together or you may have holes in your exhaust... this would mean the exhaust fumes are prematurely exiting the exhaust and potentially making it into the cabin which is probably what your smelling...

Inspect the exhaust and make sure the bolts on either side of the cat converter are tight and check the bolts further down the exhaust that hold the tail pipe to the front section of the exhaust... also look for any holes in your mufflers...

let me know how you go.

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:49 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I didnt realise it was overdue, ford sent me a 120000km one in the mail kind of put it off because it hasn't hit that yet (bad I know)

Tonight after driving home from work I can confirm that it is not the exhaust but the muffler which is so very frustrating considering a new one only recently got installed less than a year ago. I quickly had a look under it and couldn't see any holes only a few dents (how?)

Ill have a proper look and record the sound as it is hard to describe.

Thanks for the help so far!

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85TlY3jMcxI

Noise sets in at 45 seconds, after letting it cool for about 10 minutes and starting it again the rattle wasn't noticeable until 45 seconds after revving. After I drove for 5 minutes the noise started again though.

:(

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

blackers92 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85TlY3jMcxI

Noise sets in at 45 seconds, after letting it cool for about 10 minutes and starting it again the rattle wasn't noticeable until 45 seconds after revving. After I drove for 5 minutes the noise started again though.

:(

sounds like your exhaust is loose and you have an exhaust leak... the rattling is from the exhaust being loose by the sounds of it and the smell would be as a result of an exhaust leak...

you mentioned dents in the mufflers? did you bottom the car out or run over anything?

check the bolts that hold the different sections of the exhaust together to see if they are tight... We had an EL falcon come into ford when I worked there and the last section of the exhaust was holding on by a few threads of the 1 bolt that was left on there... it had been bottomed out and had an exhaust leak and a big rattle from the exhaust...

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Just a couple of pedestrians, I always thought that the damage would be external (e.g. headlights, bumper etc) Seriously though I have never run anything over.

Ill try tightening the bolts tonight after basketball and message you back

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:10 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hey Guys

I inspected the exhaust only to find that it was completely tight. The sound has gotten worse, I know it is difficult to pinpoint a noise but it sounds like it is coming directly from my muffler. When driving under 50kmh the noise is the worst, especially if I open the door or window.

I am not 100% sure this is the issue, I have seen BA Wagon Mufflers on ebay for $100. I presume my current muffler is not authentic as it got replaced last year at Mr Muffler. Im not sure I want to go back there as this one obviously didn't last. Are they difficult to fit? A few of my friends are mechanics or are close friends with mechanics. Should I purchase the part and take it to them? or should I go to a authorized place?

Should I just take it somewhere and get a quote?

I looked through the previous service costs at ford all at the $1000 mark :shock:

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hey guys

Just in case anyone has a similar problem I turned out I had a collapsed muffler. :?:

The mechanics were quite confused as there was no real damage to the muffler, a few scratches on it, couple of dents but nothing that they thought would of had enough force to collapse it. As it was only installed on December 29 2010 it was under warranty however because it is damaged and not faulty I had to pay for it, however because it was so odd and hard for them to explain they sent the part off to see if it can be covered under warranty as it virtually looked brand new still.

Either way its so silent now! Does anyone have a guide on how to change the oil in a BA? I have a rough idea already.

Cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]