Fordmods Logo

supercharge any car $65.95???? sounds sus 

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

Just had a look at the site - this thing looks exactly like hiclone (at first I thought it was a motorised thing but it's not).

IMO the claimed way these things work - ie. better atomisation due to swirling etc. is crap (the swirling imparted by the device will not be present by the time the air reaches the ports) - however I can possibly see an advantage in imparting a centrifugal swirl thru a fairly long and uniform intake pipe to the TB - it would possibly help offset surface drag inside the pipe and therefor help Volumetric Efficiency - but the resistance to airflow of the device itself would have to be taken into consideration. Best idea I think would be a motor driving blades at a relatively low speed that are almost edge on to the airflow - and this in an intake such as the EF/EL/AU/BA mandrel bent pipe setup (impeller right at the airbox outlet)

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Last edited by Greenmachine on Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Lol.

So let's see. It creates a swirling effect. Right. That's probably true.

Then it goes past a THROTTLE. @ part throttle there's about a 10mm gap either side that the air goes through. This would be extremely effective of stopping the 'swirling' effect all together.

Then, the airstream gets split up into 6 air streams. Less swirling.

Then, the air goes round and round in the manifold.... less swirling.

Then, it hits the ports, THEN it haits this big thing called a valve! I don't know if people realise this but valves are one massive restriction(subaru dabbled with rotrary valves at one point... HUGE power gains).

Add to this the INJECTOR atomises the fuel, so why do you need this 'swirling' effect to do the job of the injector?

Add to this it all happens in about about 10ms.

It's a load of toss.

Edit: Hang on. I've figured out why it works better. Instead of injectors, these people actually have a monkey sitting on the engine with a spray bottle filled with petrol. This swirling thing works cause the monkey gets its tail caught in it and without a monkey, the have to use injectors.

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:26 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ED

VIC, Australia

will this fit on a car with gas? if so i'm willing to test it out for yas...

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
however I can possibly see an advantage in imparting a centrifugal swirl thru a fairly long and uniform intake pipe to the TB - it would possibly help offset surface drag inside the pipe and therefor help Volumetric Efficiency

Nah. Think about what you're saying here. If the air is swirling then it has to travel AROUND the intake pipe as well as ALONG it.

Think about a screw. It's far, far quicker to push a dowel into a hole than to screw a screw in cause the screw has to go round AND through the hole. The dowel just goes through.

For this reason, the 'swirling' air would have to travel a much, much bigger distance, so it picks up more drag. It's be like tripling the length of your intake pipe. Now that 'could' have an effect, but I doubt it. It'd give you more low down power, but you'd lose top end power and that goes against everything the website says.

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

tomcolahan wrote:
pfft.. who needs dyno results when you have:

www.turbonator.com wrote:
"I purchased two Turbonators for my Chrysler Sebring and immediately noticed the increase in power. It was more than I expected. I am already noticing the improved gas mileage. I like them so much, I am ordering two more for my brothers. Now, it feels like my car has a turbo charger." - Dr. Brian Coyle (San Jose, CA

Ah yes but did he put them in the car or between his ears!

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Hmm - yeah, but we're talking about a mass of air being DRAWN - not pushed thru - so by making the flow at the edges of the column of moving air travel at an angle it'll speed up, drop pressure and reduce resistance - instead of forming a slower pressure boundary when there's just linear motion. You wouldn't want too much deflection - that's why I say a relatively slow moving rotor.

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:59 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB falcon 5spd

SA, Australia

JUKBOX wrote:
will this fit on a car with gas? if so i'm willing to test it out for yas...

says it will fit anything. try Emailing them, expain your car just to be sure and see what they say, it would be good if someone volunteered there car as a guinnea pig. results would be verrry interesting.

1993 EBII GLI, IT'S PERFORMANCE Stage 3 engine,
XH Snorkel, K+N panel, Pacie 4480, High flow cat,
2.5" Lukey cat back system. Monroe GT Gas shocks + struts.

just dyno'd at 140.9RWKW

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
tomcolahan wrote:
pfft.. who needs dyno results when you have:

www.turbonator.com wrote:
"I purchased two Turbonators for my Chrysler Sebring and immediately noticed the increase in power. It was more than I expected. I am already noticing the improved gas mileage. I like them so much, I am ordering two more for my brothers. Now, it feels like my car has a turbo charger." - Dr. Brian Coyle (San Jose, CA

Hahaha - well, he's a doctor.... it MUSt be true. lol

Hi everybody
Hi Doctor Nick!!

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:42 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ED

VIC, Australia

hmmmm well there seems to be no email what so ever on their website unless i'm just blind...

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

[self-deleted]

Last edited by blackjack_original on Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:09 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB falcon 5spd

SA, Australia

JUKBOX wrote:
hmmmm well there seems to be no email what so ever on their website unless i'm just blind...

no i just checked aswell, couldnt find one. could try an international call?

1993 EBII GLI, IT'S PERFORMANCE Stage 3 engine,
XH Snorkel, K+N panel, Pacie 4480, High flow cat,
2.5" Lukey cat back system. Monroe GT Gas shocks + struts.

just dyno'd at 140.9RWKW

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I worked with a guy who was a young hoon back in the late 60's - he reckons he had some sort of "Yank Tank" - Buick I think he said - which had two great big axial electric superchargers which cut in only at full throttle. There were flappers linked up to the throttle so that at WOT the normal air intake was closed off as these blowers were cut in. I reckon that'd cost a bit more than $60 to fit up tho.

As far as Hiclone and this latest American thing - I can see there might be some advantage to making intake airflow improve - but the guff about swirling into the chambers and better atomisation etc. is rubbish - none of that would exist by the time the air reaches the cylinders.

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

Car companies spend thousands on complicated fluid dynamics packages and design engineers and flowbenches. Ford didn't just pull the BBM out of their a**. Don't you think that if casting some little swirly fins into the intake would have worked and made "35Hp increase" then they would of done it.
Car intakes involve the selection of finely tuned lenghts, volumes, diameters and cylinder head design to give a tuned response over a broad rev range. Some swirly fins are going to do jack.

Having said that I did have a hiclone on my 83 Celica 2.0 Carby (no tuned lengths here!), and it did improve cold starting and running, didn't really notice much else really. For the price I would rather fill up with 50 extra tanks of premium! For about the same effect.

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2