Fordmods Logo

t5 manual conversion Auto -> Manual (Urgent) 

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: t5 manual conversion Auto -> Manual (Urgent)
Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1992 Ford Eb Series 2

Gday i have a 92 ford eb automatic and i have recently put a 3.45 Ratio LSD into it but i have been wanting to possibly convert to a t5 manual. Do i have to change the diff for a manual lsd diff or can i leave it in there and just chuck my manual conversion into the car and go drive the car like normal? Thanks pete.

Post subject: Re: t5 manual conversion Auto -> Manual (Urgent)
Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:30 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

the diffs are all the same from from eb auto to manual and 6 cyl to v8..
just change the box.!!.

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 1990 ea 5 speed

SA, Australia

yea should have no problem i jus done a conversion on my el and the standard diff is fine theres a really good conversion guide on here if ya want ill try find tha link for ya

89 ea falcon " panda" ef 5spd i6 engine with wade 1673 cam shaved ported head, full stainless 2 n half inch zaust 20 inch rims n 330mm brake upgrade soon to hae m90 blower running 12 pound pulley :D

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

TROYMAN wrote:
just change the box.!!.

Alright so i can just leave it in there and go nuts? Wouldnt it be slower pickup or slower top speed due to 3.45 being better for automatic then a manual?

Also quick question about the motor. I wana possibly put a EF-EL motor into the car instead of using my Eb motor. Can i just drop the motor in or do i have to change something to do with the transmission or are all e series the same & no stress to it Just drop & Go ?

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

ea street sleeper wrote:
yea should have no problem i jus done a conversion on my el and the standard diff is fine theres a really good conversion guide on here if ya want ill try find tha link for ya

Yeah that would be great thanks mate.

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

FordEb'L'unatic wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
just change the box.!!.

Alright so i can just leave it in there and go nuts? Wouldnt it be slower pickup or slower top speed due to 3.45 being better for automatic then a manual?

the oppersite...btw how is this urgent? lol

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Troy wrote:
FordEb'L'unatic wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
just change the box.!!.

the oppersite...btw how is this urgent? lol

about to buy a t5 conversion on ebay^^

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

well an auto with 3.45 has a ratio of 8.2455 in 1st and a manual has a ratio of 11.2125 so alot better take off

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:54 am 
Stock as a Rock

Troy wrote:
well an auto with 3.45 has a ratio of 8.2455 in 1st and a manual has a ratio of 11.2125 so alot better take off

Does the tailshaft at all have to be replaced?

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:44 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

FordEb'L'unatic wrote:
Troy wrote:

Does the tailshaft at all have to be replaced?

nope, you can use the auto one...

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:22 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Without sounding like a tool (again) how is this urgent? the time it took to make the post would have also revealed the tech documents to advise what needs to be changed for a manual conversion.

I'll tread lightly cause I have stepped on a few toes lately and so to avoid upsetting anyone this time.

Use your current drive shaft, current diff. 3.45 will have a lower overall top speed compared to 3.23. but will run up to the top speed faster.

You will need a manual ECU, if you don't have one already, let me know, I have an xr6 ecu out of a manual EB xr6.

Hope everyone was happy with the non-a**hole reply this time. if not go get stuffed.(negative comments not directed at OP)

I have a car.

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:30 am 
Stock as a Rock

dc_todd wrote:
Without sounding like a tool (again) how is this urgent? the time it took to make the post would have also revealed the tech documents to advise what needs to be changed for a manual conversion.

I'll tread lightly cause I have stepped on a few toes lately and so to avoid upsetting anyone this time.

Use your current drive shaft, current diff. 3.45 will have a lower overall top speed compared to 3.23. but will run up to the top speed faster.

You will need a manual ECU, if you don't have one already, let me know, I have an xr6 ecu out of a manual EB xr6.

Hope everyone was happy with the non-a**hole reply this time. if not go get stuffed.(negative comments not directed at OP)

And how far do you reckon itll go up in speed untill it starts to get **** top speed
Example--> 80kmh 100?..

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:03 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

you need to look at what rpm's you will be doing at certain speeds, ie 110km\h is 2200rpm with 3.45's still a comfortable rev range though. Start going for things like 3.9's or 4.11's and fuel consumption starts to suffer.

Top speed with 3.45's you will end up around 250km\h. give or take depending on tyres.. Thats why the top speed question is irrelevant, you should never see these speeds on roads, as far as tracks go, Eastern Creek has the longest straight on the east coast, and that is the ONLY place I have tapped the rev limiter in 5th.

If you attempt that anywhere else but a track, you need your car removed and crushed in front of you.

I have a car.

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

dc_todd wrote:
you need to look at what rpm's you will be doing at certain speeds, ie 110km\h is 2200rpm with 3.45's still a comfortable rev range though. Start going for things like 3.9's or 4.11's and fuel consumption starts to suffer.

Top speed with 3.45's you will end up around 250km\h. give or take depending on tyres.. Thats why the top speed question is irrelevant, you should never see these speeds on roads, as far as tracks go, Eastern Creek has the longest straight on the east coast, and that is the ONLY place I have tapped the rev limiter in 5th.

If you attempt that anywhere else but a track, you need your car removed and crushed in front of you.

Yeah well im L plates atm P's soon always said when i was younger ima try make a really sick car when i get older. Not gunna race it and crash it just for an ego rush..Worst ive done drag off lights, That full hectic racing can go to a track.
Btw you got any idea on prices for air bagged suspension for rears Riding tad bit low :roll:

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 1990 ea 5 speed

SA, Australia

sorry i took so long to reply havnt got the net on at my place atm but this is the link just click the pdf guide on the first post.fordmods-technical-documents-diy-f38/auto-to-manual-conversion-guide-t42420.html?hilit=Manual
you wont have to change tailshaft or diff all you need is gearbox, spiget baring, clutch cable, clutch pedal i made a secial plate for the clutch pedal that slides through the hole on the pedal box and gave a bit more support for it aswell but yea if the wiring diagrams for the plugs to trick the auto arent the same colour as in the guide let me know and ill look at mine because my wiring was completely different colours to what the guide said

89 ea falcon " panda" ef 5spd i6 engine with wade 1673 cam shaved ported head, full stainless 2 n half inch zaust 20 inch rims n 330mm brake upgrade soon to hae m90 blower running 12 pound pulley :D

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next