Take up slack on Ef throttle cable 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Take up slack on Ef throttle cable
Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

I have noticed there is a very slight time difference between pedal down and acceleration on my Ef, and apon investigating I have noticed there is a bit of slack on the cable. How do I adjust the cable on Ef's? I have checked behind the pedal and have tried adjusting it via were the sleeve hits the rocker cover brace. Am I missing somewhere?
A good tune will fix the problem too as I can hear the air influx slightly chokes the acceleration until the motor can adjust fuel to match, but I am putting au injectors in soon and will have it dyno'ed once thats done. Just thought a tighter cable will give the pedal better response

Post subject: Re: Take up slack on Ef throttle cable
Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

WOW, just WOW.

Stick to killing roaches dude.

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

replace the cable.

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
WOW, just WOW.

f**k off C**k head. Most cars I have worked on in the past have had cable adjusters. Not my fault the Ef dont. f**k your a d**k head, really you attack a bloke on another thread then when he gets some support you search for the supports threads to lay some s**t down there. Dont make two s**t of a difference, your obviously an absolute wanker that has too much time on his hands........ If your so broke from doing cheap head jobs ( obviously both kinds), maybe you should work on the weekends to pay your massive outlay

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

79raven wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
WOW, just WOW.

f**k off C**k head. Most cars I have worked on in the past have had cable adjusters. Not my fault the Ef dont. f**k your a d**k head, really you attack a bloke on another thread then when he gets some support you search for the supports threads to lay some s**t down there. Dont make two s**t of a difference, your obviously an absolute wanker that has too much time on his hands........ If your so broke from doing cheap head jobs ( obviously both kinds), maybe you should work on the weekends to pay your massive outlay

geez man don't get upset.

But didn't you just spend a heap of time telling me i was charging to much, Make up your mind.

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

Gotta replace em man.
Whilst you're there you should replace you're accelerator pedal and all the hardware involved, including the throttle body, with top quality replacements or reco parts as you wouldn't want to do a dodgy job.
I've used one of those cable strecher ties (not sure what they are called) to pull some length out of it. After a few months the ball popped off at the pedal driving home. Was interesting.

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Its got about 10mm of free play in the cable, so it probably normal. I use to tighten the cable on my older cars for better pedal response and thats why I was asking. Thanks for letting me know guys

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

How are you checking it?
The best way is to have 2 people, take the intakebtube off so you can see/feel the butterfly, have a mate push the pedal to the floor(no floor mat) it should be at WOT at you're end.
Make sure the cars not runing. Obviously.

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

Pakrat wrote:
Gotta replace em man.
Whilst you're there you should replace you're accelerator pedal and all the hardware involved, including the throttle body, with top quality replacements or reco parts as you wouldn't want to do a dodgy job.
I've used one of those cable strecher ties (not sure what they are called) to pull some length out of it. After a few months the ball popped off at the pedal driving home. Was interesting.

umm why would you need to replace pedal and throttle body? haha. what a waste of f**k money.

cable stretches over time, if it's not opening right up. replace

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Nvm.
You wouldn't really. Unless there was something wrong with it.

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Checked the throttle response while I was checking the cable. It had a nice clean feel with great spring response for a car thats a 1994 model. I am going to be dropping out the body and overhauling/ cleaning it up when I replace the fuel pump/sender and drop au injectors in her over the next couple of weeks. I noticed the cable while getting my head around whats to be replaced and/or cleaned. Looks a s**t load less complicated than an old 626's carby but not as easy as a single barrel strongy. Its all basic mechanics, but its the time I want to spend cleaning it up nice that made me notice the cable. Whats the specks on aloud freeplay of an Ef cable? Maybe I need to get one thats a little smaller if I want to erase 99% slack....... Its just nice to touch the pedal and instantly feel the engine respond.
I did notice under full load she has an air delivery problem, were I am trying to work out if she is starved or overloaded. She does idle at 750, so I am guessing she is running rich. She is dumping rich fumes from the tail too, so unburnt or poorly burnt fuel with the high idle has to mean rich. I will replace the o2 sensor and see how she goes as I am planning an au tickford head and header/s ( do you still say headers even though there is only 1?) with a new cat... so I kind of want to dyno it then instead. Local dyno bloke from Blue Mountains fuel injection does Kandos's dyno's, I know his old man so I know it will be done right. Not to mention Brad the son is a Ford nut.

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

wtf is a single barrel strongy? i'm heard of a Strommy. as in a Stromberg.

also. it's not this hard. throttle not opening all the way to W.O.T. replace the cable. simple problem has now been made to complicated for no reason. Also to run a AU head on a EF you need the cam gear and cam too. and AU XR6 "headers" are just a standard cast manifold. you want a nice set of extractors

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Alright sorry Stromberg...... geez it has been about 8 years since I had my last one. All I was saying with this example is there is alot of parts that will need to be checked and/ or cleaned. " strommys" were an easy rebuild that my 2 year old could almost do were as the ef system looks to be a mass of external parts that will take a little time and tlc to get them all right. I have never been a Ford man so this is the first time I will be doing it.
Throttle does open all the way, but its when you initially touch the pedal and take the slack up before you actually move the throttle I am trying to eliminate.
Yes I know I will need a tickford cam and gear, thought that did not have to be said.
Extractors and headers I thought was the same thing, just different names. I know the tickfords had the same exhaust manifold as a stock setup and at no time did I say i was going to get "tickford" headers, you have just seen the 2 together and assumed I meant the headers were going to be tickford too.
SO, to clarify for EB, Au tickford head With tickford cam and gear ( unless I decide to go a stage higher than tickford for the cam) and head gasket. Then extractors.

"Its just nice to touch the pedal and instantly feel the engine respond." This is what I am trying to achieve. It might be a tiny amount of slack on the cable but thats what I want.
Geez eb, cant help but think your post is a little bit attacking :roll:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]