Talk to me about Catalytic Converters 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Talk to me about Catalytic Converters
Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:18 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ED GLi

SA, Australia

Gday guys

I'm looking at putting a set of extractors on my ED 4.0 and maybe upgrading my cat. I read somewhere that the AU falcon's standard cat is considered as a sort of upgrade on an e series? can anyone confirm this/have an opinion on it? What about the standard cat on a BA 4.0 as well?

I'm not looking at getting any of those "high flow" ebay cats, just wondering whether there are any cats off newer models that could be considered as upgrades cos that's easier for me (can get them from the wreckers for cheap next time I'm there).

Post subject: Re: Talk to me about Catalytic Converters
Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Ford Fairlane na2

TAS, Australia

Au cats are newer and better designed and abit more free flowing but they have been used and they are basically the same shape. If you were to get a factory replacement it wouldn't look out of place and will be better then your standard cat. I got a cat from venom and it's great. Give the guys a call and they can tell you which cat you will benefit from most.

NA2 fairlane - 3.9 with au headgasket & injectors, ef fans, 2.5" zorst, lowered on selby springs , kenwood head unit and 6 speakers, fusion sub, el ecu & ti chip

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:34 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

they are the same as e series, not an upgrade... while they flow ok for a std cat there nothing special... if your not wanting a aftermarket high flow cat, just leave it as it is..

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:39 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

R31 Mark wrote:
Gday guys

I'm looking at putting a set of extractors on my ED 4.0 and maybe upgrading my cat. I read somewhere that the AU falcon's standard cat is considered as a sort of upgrade on an e series? can anyone confirm this/have an opinion on it? What about the standard cat on a BA 4.0 as well?

I'm not looking at getting any of those "high flow" ebay cats, just wondering whether there are any cats off newer models that could be considered as upgrades cos that's easier for me (can get them from the wreckers for cheap next time I'm there).

TROYMAN wrote:
they are the same as e series, not an upgrade... while they flow ok for a std cat there nothing special... if your not wanting a aftermarket high flow cat, just leave it as it is..

As Troyman said, same as an E series, no better no worse. If you trim them back on the flange you can open them up to 2.5" with no problems.

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Darcy4524 wrote:
Au cats are newer and better designed and abit more free flowing but they have been used and they are basically the same shape. If you were to get a factory replacement it wouldn't look out of place and will be better then your standard cat.

Words of wisdom again :?

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:10 am 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Okay, I've established from what you're all saying that there isn't an oem alternative worth bothering with.

So, therefore the next thing is an aftermarket "hi flow" unit, as Darcy pointed out.

*First off has anyone had experience with hi flow cats? have you found that it made a noticeable difference?

*Secondly, what would be recommended as far as hi flow cats go which may suit a 2.5" exhaust system running extractors and keep things within the legal limit?

thanks, Mark :D

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:19 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

I would say go for a 200cell metal core cat..
if you don't care for emissions go 100cell cat..

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Hi-flow cats will make your exhaust system louder. You will gain a little power but not really noticeable most of the time. You will want at least a 200 cell cat to keep within emissions.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:04 am 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Okay so a 200 cell cat is the bare minimum as far as cats go (to be on the safe side). Now, I believe I may currently have a lukey 2 muffler 2 1/2 inch system, but I will need to have a look at it tomorrow to clarify that. As far as mufflers go is 2 really enough?

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:44 am 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Well what do you know, I've already got a 2 1/5 inch (63.~mm diameter) single (Lukey) muffler exhaust!

So I guess that part has already been taken care of for me!

So now all I need is extractors and a cat. If me exhaust is a 2 1/2 inch system does that mean that theoretically the best suited cat would also be 2 1/2 inches pipe diameter?

Cheers :D

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]