Fordmods Logo

territory vibration and bad clunking. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: territory vibration and bad clunking.
Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:19 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 98 EL Falcon option 20 hybrid

VIC, Australia

Hi guys,
My awd territory has developed a very noticable shudder and vibration from front left wheel area on initial acceleration and even accelerating whilst moving it only last a second and isn't present once cruising. The other problem is bad clunking over any bump from front bottom suspension lhs is alot louder than rhs.
So far ive replaced front diff bushes the sway bar links and had new tyres fitted and balanced the ball joints where done under recall only 6 months ago so the should be ok front shocks are still very firm im doing tranny service next weekend.
My thoughts are center bearing or cv shaft for the vibration but im stuffed for the clunking, Anything else you guys think i should check any infomation would be great. Tia

Post subject: Re: territory vibration and bad clunking.
Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:15 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ef xr6

VIC, Australia

Have you checked the top ball joints? And also recheck the lower ball joints again.the vibration could be the front c.v. easy way to check is remove the front shaft and go for a drive. Although the shocks feel firm the inital harsh movement upwards could be revealing a fault with the shock (s) we did a few when i was at a dealership. Hope this helps

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:30 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the info i ended up replacing the sway bar d bushes today even though they didnt look to bad it fixed the clunking cant belive after changing all the previous stuff it ended up bieng a $30 set of bushes and 20min job haha now just for the vibration I think i will remove cv and see if it is still vibing like you said, also is there any way of inspecting a centre bearing for wear without removing the shaft ?

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:08 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Going to replace center bearing this weekend can someone correct me if im wrong but to do this I have to mark the shaft so it gets reinstalled in the same position, remove shaft, remove u-joint, undo center nut, pull off center bearing and replace with new bearing and uni then just install matching marks made on shaft.
Sounds easy enough an I missing something?

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:01 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

aerojake wrote:
Going to replace center bearing this weekend can someone correct me if im wrong but to do this I have to mark the shaft so it gets reinstalled in the same position, remove shaft, remove u-joint, undo center nut, pull off center bearing and replace with new bearing and uni then just install matching marks made on shaft.
Sounds easy enough an I missing something?

sounds about right :?: i marked the ends so went back same way. someone else did centre

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]