The $3k PCV valve... 

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:27 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

Polyvinylchloride :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nah, it's PCV. It stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation. Just lets the pressure out of the crank case basically...

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: FG-XR6 EL EA '24 Dodge

NSW, Australia

Nothing to do with pcv vales but twr7cx have you ever used polyglaze tyre foam? It'll take the white off the rubber intake snorkel

As Sigfried once said "Nein Nein Ninty Nine"

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:08 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 1996 EF Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

What is the bit same spot on the petrol I6's looks similar, Ihave no gas either?

1996 EF Fairmont Ghia
- 2.5'' mandrel bent exhaust
- Au xr8 air intake snorkel
- Tinted windows
- Two way electric sunroof

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

dyl wrote:
What is the bit same spot on the petrol I6's looks similar, Ihave no gas either?

Same thing, from factory they are all plastic.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Holy s**t!!! i dont want LPG ne more :shock:

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

All I can say is... Cars suck!

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6t

NSW, Australia

My PCV valve seized and caused too much pressure in the motor, ended up blowing ou thte rear engine seal. i just pulled up in teh gargae one night and by the time i got out of the car there was over 1l of oil on teh ground, $600 worth of repairs for some s**t little valve.

Rides:
-Ba xr6t, wog cooler, K&N pod on custom intake, battery moved to other side, flash, custom cooler piping, presons auto, car pc, 19" lenso speed 6, going for 300rwkw
-FZR 250- run around bike

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: R32 GTR

VIC, Australia

Bogan: interesting, every time I've seen a PCV valve get stuck, it blows out the dipstick and sprays oil out of it.

So the PCV valve, the cause of it s**t itself is because the excessive pressure in the intake manifold as the flame front rushes back from the combustion chamber, the wrong way, pushing the PCV guts into the motor?

I had a trick on my old RB30 powered Skyline that was on LPG as well that I drilled many 13mm holes in the intake pipe just before the throttle body and put a piece of wetsuit around the pipe to seal it - this engine wasn't turbocharged so it was always at or just below atmospheric pressure unless the engine backfired in which case it would split the scuba seal and much of the pressure from the flame front would exit out of all the holes, saving the AFM and airbox from destruction. Problem with the Ford is there's nowhere to put the bloody thing.

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: eb falcon s series 2

NSW, Australia

XRFan101 wrote:
Holy s**t!!! i dont want LPG ne more :shock:

dw about it if u get the metal one its fine.
the money u save with lpg could buy u a brand new engine anyway probably!

‮‮

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:37 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

WA, Australia

bogan393 wrote:
My PCV valve seized and caused too much pressure in the motor, ended up blowing ou thte rear engine seal. i just pulled up in teh gargae one night and by the time i got out of the car there was over 1l of oil on teh ground, $600 worth of repairs for some s**t little valve.

you must have a lot of blow by to do that, your rings/bores must have been stuffed

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:42 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Bozz wrote:
Bogan: interesting, every time I've seen a PCV valve get stuck, it blows out the dipstick and sprays oil out of it.

So the PCV valve, the cause of it s**t itself is because the excessive pressure in the intake manifold as the flame front rushes back from the combustion chamber, the wrong way, pushing the PCV guts into the motor?

I had a trick on my old RB30 powered Skyline that was on LPG as well that I drilled many 13mm holes in the intake pipe just before the throttle body and put a piece of wetsuit around the pipe to seal it - this engine wasn't turbocharged so it was always at or just below atmospheric pressure unless the engine backfired in which case it would split the scuba seal and much of the pressure from the flame front would exit out of all the holes, saving the AFM and airbox from destruction. Problem with the Ford is there's nowhere to put the bloody thing.

nice trick with the wetsuit rubber

and yes a similar trick can be done for the falcons, scott showed me how to protect my manifold from getting blown up from an lpg backfire, you drill a 2in hole in the top of the inlet manifold, where it's flat just before where it clamps onto the throttlebody,mixer section, you cut out a 3in disc of rubber and use a couple of self tappers to hold it onto the manifold, backfire happens, rubber disc lifts up and pressure goes out the 2in hole, then when the engines runs properly again the inlet suction seals the rubber disc to the manifold, simple

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:46 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

pcv valve ventilates the crankcase, all the gases produced inside the engine, including blow by gases and fumes etc from the engine oil, get sucked into the inlet manifold, it's part of the anti-pollution stuff

some of us older fellas would have had cars that didn't have pcvs, like my 1st car, an eh holden, instead there was a metal pipe that came out of the rocker cover and went down the side of the engine, fumes used to come out of this, was an easy way to tell a worn engine if you could see smoke coming out of the pipe, you knew the rings/bores were stuffed

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

dddp! wrote:
some of us older fellas would have had cars that didn't have pcvs, like my 1st car, an eh holden, instead there was a metal pipe that came out of the rocker cover and went down the side of the engine, fumes used to come out of this, was an easy way to tell a worn engine if you could see smoke coming out of the pipe, you knew the rings/bores were stuffed

Don't they also put oil caps on which are like a big filter.

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:44 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
dddp! wrote:

Don't they also put oil caps on which are like a big filter.

yes, they came later tho, when pcv valves came along, it filtered the air that was drawn into the engine to replace what got sucked out the pcv valve

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2