Fordmods Logo

thermostat questions 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: thermostat questions
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

hi.

when you change to a colder thermostat in a car do you use a 82 or 88 or 91 degree one

which spots on the temp gauge is it 82 degrees then 88 degrees then 91 degrees

which thermostats best in a ea-ed 6 and how do you keep the temperature gauge steady

what radiator have yous got and do the aluminium 40-50mm or 3 core 38-42mm radiators keep your cars cooler when towing and in summer.

does a au thermostat work in a ea-ed 6

thanks

Post subject: Re: thermostat questions
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:20 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Pretty sure mine is a 190F one... which by conversion is 88C

Mine is an aftermarket (auto) just standard radiator... My car practically has an 18 month old everything to do with cooling (as it was all stuffed when we bought... Everything from the radiator, water pump, to the steel pipe that runs around the back of the engine, heater core and welsh plugs...

It sits at the bottom of the normal range and slightly when towing a trailer... its pretty good... All that bigger stuff isn't really necessary I wouldn't think, unless something is slightly blocked?

The thermostat is chosen to give maximum fuel economy by keeping the engine at optimum temp... If you go putting larger thermostats in then it won't heat up as well and will just keep fuelling it up thinking its cool...

If its that bad... A good flush... and if you still can't fix it then a larger radiator (although a standard one is adequate)... I won't recommend stuffing around too much with the thermostat...

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

ford designed it for 91 so thats what i'd go with. there should be no reason why if everything is working why you should need to go colder.

if your in a warmer climate, or you tow or something, a cooler one might be the go. im fairly sure all i6 motors run the same(ish) temp, i assume you ask that question as your going to put a second hand AU one in? dont do it, buy new.

ALL thermo's are meant to keep the temp steady

to find the temps, use a multimeter and check the sensor resistance. more info on that around here somewhere

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

will a 88 degree be better than a 82 degree thermostat

where is 82, 88 degrees on the ed sports dash

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:28 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

They are not a calibrated gauge... It would be very hard to tell... Best way would be to get a mutlimeter with the probe and just push it down the filler nech into the raidator... and measure that way... see what it heats up to... But like I said mine is right on the bottom line of normal with all new factory series parts... and maybe somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 up normal when i tow...

You really shouldn't be having any major dramas with factory parts...

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

fairmont1 wrote:
what radiator have yous got and do the aluminium 40-50mm or 3 core 38-42mm radiators keep your cars cooler when towing and in summer.

I wouldn't recommend an aluminium radiator. When I spoke to a radiator repairer, he said they always come back for repairs as they fall apart. Keeping the standard one clean inside and using the proper coolant will go a long way to keeping the engine running at the right temperatrure. Also, check that no leaves, grass, stones, etc are blocking the air flow to and through the radiator.

Thermatic fans will improve the engine cooling in summer, especially in traffic on 40+ degree days. I remember the gauge sitting in the red while crawling up hills at 40km/h around Tenterfield. Could have done with them then.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Last edited by Shortshift on Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:19 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB

New Zealand

Seconded on the thermo fans, going home up the hill used to put me near the red, especialy towing. Those thermos keep my engine very happy, from going up mountains to sitting in traffic :D

1989 EA Falcon column shift - SOLD
1990 EAII, BBM, EL ECU, T5, LSD - SOLD
1993 EBII Fairmont Ghia V8 - SOLD
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia 6C

Huge thanks to BenJ, TROYMAN, fiend and XR-Lane. The E-series knowledge/motivation pool.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]