Fordmods Logo

Thinking of AU motor into 88 EA spac 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Thinking of AU motor into 88 EA spac
Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:17 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 1988 5spd DOHC EA Falcon S

NSW, Australia

I've been considering dropping an AU / BA falcon engine into my 88 EA spac 5spd.

I've read quite the bit about the conversion, though i've been struggling to find anyone who has actually used the coil pack setup rather than swapping back over to dizzy. Changing the loom out doesn't concern me, but i'm here just for a few questions.

Using the AU manifold and coil pack setup would require the use of an AU/EF ECU? If so, how would things like, relays and cluster control work? I can understand it's quite the bit of work ( I would have considered the barra, but that requires cutting the K-frame and bonnet which i don't want to do )

Yes yes, it'd be much easier to revert back to the dizzy and run an EL ecu, but that's abit boring don't you think? Also AFAIK the EA has a different K frame and therefore less of the sump has to be cut ( Just the fins )

( Now a question for the Barra )

Is it possible to re - locate the BA falcon oil pump, in such a fashion that would require mods to the sump rather than the K frame?

Cheers :)

Rolling around with a Barra 182 - equipped 1988 EA falcon

http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/ ... 27639.html

Post subject: Re: Thinking of AU motor into 88 EA spac
Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Especially in an EA-ED, id go the mod to the K-Frame over the mod to the sump.

Cost for both is likely to be the same : And getting the K-Frame modification Engineered isnt as hard as you might think. in QLD, done right, it would cost $150 plated, and you could then run any engine you wanted now and in the future. You also wont be changing that front surface of the sump to a sloped angle (which might or might not be important under heavy braking)

I didnt Mod Plate my EF when I did the AU Engine into it - but I did modify the K-Frame and then got a certified welder in to do it.

having since been through the mod-plate path, and having done the BMW 5.0, Id weld it myself under advice, and then get it engineered that way. its not a big modification, so as long as you do what the engineer wants you to do you should be fine.

Nigel

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

I've been considering dropping an AU / BA falcon engine into my 88 EA spac 5spd.
2 different beasts

I've read quite the bit about the conversion, though i've been struggling to find anyone who has actually used the coil pack setup rather than swapping back over to dizzy. Changing the loom out doesn't concern me, but i'm here just for a few questions.
You will need to change the loom to suit the AU if wanting to use coil pack

Using the AU manifold and coil pack setup would require the use of an AU/EF ECU? If so, how would things like, relays and cluster control work? I can understand it's quite the bit of work ( I would have considered the barra, but that requires cutting the K-frame and bonnet which i don't want to do )
Using AU wiring loom will require the AU ECU. The AU Upper BBM is different to the EF/EL as it has the MAP sensor located in it. AU Throttle body has different electrical plugs to the EF/EL.

Yes yes, it'd be much easier to revert back to the dizzy and run an EL ecu, but that's abit boring don't you think? Also AFAIK the EA has a different K frame and therefore less of the sump has to be cut ( Just the fins )

( Now a question for the Barra )

Is it possible to re - locate the BA falcon oil pump, in such a fashion that would require mods to the sump rather than the K frame?
You can't relocate the oil pump as such due to the drive. Sump modification have been done to fit the Barra to the E series. EA-ED K Frame mods are simple compared to the EF/EL. Check Benj's Build Thread.

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Don't forget too that using the au or ba ecu isn't a game ender. It's just more of a challenge

I have an au 5.0 auto in my bmw :). Runs the factory ecu

In fact on an ea it's almost the best way. The ea wiring should come out in one piece and the au or similar harnesses can replace it

Ba us more work but it's been fine

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:02 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Had a good read of that thread ( Around an hour lol ) Never dropped it in or?

I can imagine the challenges involved with fitting a barra engine, but it'd be one of a kind EA.

Does anyone know the specific challenges of using the BA ecu and utilizing the VCT? ( Basically getting everything to work as it should ) It's the little electrical things that concern me, such as getting the dash and relays working right ect... And getting around the immobilization feature of the BA ecu would be a challenge i suppose? Not like i can just pop my j3 chip into it :P

If i do go ahead with this, it would indeed be a lengthy|expensive project and i'd start a dedicated thread on it, luckily i've got time on my side.

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Had a good read of that thread ( Around an hour lol ) Never dropped it in or?
Page 171 of Benj's thread for the K-Frame mod, Page 180 for the engine install.

I can imagine the challenges involved with fitting a barra engine, but it'd be one of a kind EA. Been done.

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:14 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

SWC wrote:
I can imagine the challenges involved with fitting a barra engine, but it'd be one of a kind EA. Been done.

been done by quite a few now :|

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:32 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

I'm aware of this, by one of a kind, i mean rare, not going to see many 1988 EA falcons with barra motors in them, anyway it would be quite a few months to save up the funds to do so, and i'd rather not botch up the original K - frame, will have to source another one.

It's gonna be a toss up between AU or Barra

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:34 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

GrannyFalcon82 wrote:
It's gonna be a toss up between AU or Barra

Au will be cheapest & quickest to do but the barra will be more bang for ya buck lol [my understanding]

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:29 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EA Falcon

ACT, Australia

If what you will do requires engineering, take my advice and start your project by involving the engineer of your choice. Make sure they're Ford friendly. I chose an engineer that was not small car friendly after having made mods and it was a nightmare. I ended up having to get my car engineered in a different state. (which passed easily due to slightly different laws in QLD to NSW, but thats another story)

If involved early the engineer can tell you what is required and what he expects, so you dont get the work done then find out "oh.. I have do redo the whole thing"

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:41 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

I read a YouTube comment on one of the barra conversion videos.

Apparently a bloke had actually modified the mounts to where it sat lower and more towards the firewall ( Granted you can't separate the bell housing then for a clutch change )

Quote "
Bolted straight in using adapter plates to v8 mounts. Car is a svo fairmont ghia v8. No cuts to the bonnet as the engine was mounted to sit lower and closer to the firewall. "

Thoughts on this?

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:52 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

No thoughts on the mount change over butchering K frame?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]