Fordmods Logo

Tickford 162kw i6 or 165kw Windsor V8??? Whos quicker??? 

Page 4 of 7 [ 103 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:18 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Yeah, my bad.
That wasn't an 'official challenge'.
Seeing as the Sprint isn't stock, and I don't plan on taking it to Queensland any time soon...
For s**t and giggles, I throw up this unproven tid-bit of information, that I myself take with a bag of salt.
Genie tri-ys
Pod straight off MAF

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

downingj wrote:
O.K. I'm home and according to Wheels, here's the facts:

EF GLi (4.0) vs EF Fairmont Ghia (5.0) vs VR Exec (3.8) vs VR Calais (5.0)

EF GLi 4.0 with 3.08 diff = 0-100 in 8.9, 0-400 in 16.6 and 100-130 in 6.8
EF Fairmont Ghia 5.0 with 3.23 diff = 0-100 in 9.8, 0-400 in 17.2 and 100-130 in 7.5

Forgetting the diff ratio, a GLi weighs less than a Fairmont Ghia which has a hell of a lot more weight with all the options fitted.
I6 Ghia to V8 Ghia - the V8 engine is a heavier burden to push and as I said in another one of these interminable threads not too long ago, the V8 they used in all the E-series models had its last design change in 1986 and since then: nothing - for 12 odd years. The I6 has been redeveloped constantly since the start of the EA all the way through the E-series range. No one should be surprised that after 12 years of no competition that it caught up to a 1986 designed V8. Feel free to consider that the I6 is now making power consistent with a 20 year old V8 design.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

while at the same meeting emissions regs and using less fuel to do it.

and now a stock i6 makes more power then an xr8 from 1997

not that it matters if the V8 windsor was any good they'd never have build the modular V8

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

tickford_6 wrote:
while at the same meeting emissions regs and using less fuel to do it.

I should hope so. If it didn't it would be even more embarrassing than finally making the power of a 20 year old V8 design after all these years as well as wasting all the research money thrown into them.

tickford_6 wrote:
and now a stock i6 makes more power then an xr8 from 1997

EL ~ 157kw vs. S1 XR8 ~ 170kw?

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

I have a september 94 mont ghia I know the motor has had work done but not sure what, the dealer wont tell me who was the previouse owner. I do know it has extractors, 185 heads, throtle boby and cam. Question is I run 3.23 diff how much would it cost for a 3.45 lsd and what difference would it make

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA MKII XR8

VIC, Australia

Vic wrote:
downingj wrote:
O.K. I'm home and according to Wheels, here's the facts:

EF GLi (4.0) vs EF Fairmont Ghia (5.0) vs VR Exec (3.8) vs VR Calais (5.0)

EF GLi 4.0 with 3.08 diff = 0-100 in 8.9, 0-400 in 16.6 and 100-130 in 6.8
EF Fairmont Ghia 5.0 with 3.23 diff = 0-100 in 9.8, 0-400 in 17.2 and 100-130 in 7.5

Forgetting the diff ratio, a GLi weighs less than a Fairmont Ghia which has a hell of a lot more weight with all the options fitted.
I6 Ghia to V8 Ghia - the V8 engine is a heavier burden to push and as I said in another one of these interminable threads not too long ago, the V8 they used in all the E-series models had its last design change in 1986 and since then: nothing - for 12 odd years. The I6 has been redeveloped constantly since the start of the EA all the way through the E-series range. No one should be surprised that after 12 years of no competition that it caught up to a 1986 designed V8. Feel free to consider that the I6 is now making power consistent with a 20 year old V8 design.

I think that pretty much sums it up.

Ford / Tickford spent money and time on upgrading their six to turn it into the weapon that it is, while it let the V8 (and ultimately, some street cred) fall by the way-side.
One of the Tickford blokes (I forget which one) has been quoted as saying that he would have "loved" it if they let him do to the V8, what the did to the six. Imagine if they had of done? We may have ended up with a HSV GTS-R killing machine! :)

But, the bottom line is, Ford / Tickford made the six what it is and, ultimately, it earned it's reputation for being an 8 eater.

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:11 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

even if they focused more on the 8's, they STILL wouldnt have been hitting times like they are today...even todays times are pretty s**t, low 14's in a GT, WTF is that? 290kw's on the right chassi and drive train is a 12 second car....ford hasto focus more on chassi and drivetrain design, coz at the moment, theyre C***!

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Hmmm... another productive thread!

The facts are there - the e series 6 was quicker than most of the 8s down the quarter.

Now i dunno about you guys but most of my driving doesnt involve WOT for 400m at a time... IMO there's more to it than standing quarter mile times. Hence a lot of people prefer the 8 despite the fact the 6 was quicker (myself included) - but in the same token, plenty of people prefer the 6 for daily driving...

Plenty of people prefer the sound of the windsor... plenty of people prefer the sound of the 6...

Some of us are just glad to have had the option of a V8 following Ford's horrific decision to drop it all those years ago.

Come onguys - some of these remarks are just getting petty. This thread is really struggling to justify its existence - all of this has been hashed out many times before.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA MKII XR8

VIC, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Hmmm... another productive thread!

The facts are there - the e series 6 was quicker than most of the 8s down the quarter.

Now i dunno about you guys but most of my driving doesnt involve WOT for 400m at a time... IMO there's more to it than standing quarter mile times. Hence a lot of people prefer the 8 despite the fact the 6 was quicker (myself included) - but in the same token, plenty of people prefer the 6 for daily driving...

Plenty of people prefer the sound of the windsor... plenty of people prefer the sound of the 6...

Some of us are just glad to have had the option of a V8 following Ford's horrific decision to drop it all those years ago.

Come onguys - some of these remarks are just getting petty. This thread is really struggling to justify its existence - all of this has been hashed out many times before.

Come on mate, you've gotta let people put their points across :)

She's an all Ford forum, so naturally the one big thing that seperates us is V8 and I6.

Some prefer V8, some prefer I6, some are just happy to be in a Ford :)

If people get offensive or are genuinly offended by someones comment, then yeah, close the thread down.

But a healthy debate regarding 6's and 8's should be fine...

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

I didnt say i was going to close it. I certainly wouldnt recommend it as prime reading tho :)

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:14 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

*yawn

I6 v V8 thread #500 for this month :roll:

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

Quote:
ok i'll assume you read the above..
and after reading it do you see the the stock XR8 vs. the moded XR6???
because my self and every one els can.

yeah teh 185kw xr8 closed the gap a little but it needed the AU XR8 to get ahead.

Yeah well obviously i am blind, but my name still isn't SteadyED, so you asre comparing your modded 6 to his stock 8. Not mine. Once you know who you're speaking to in relation to things, then maybe you wouldn't think i'm calling you a liar.

How come the EL XR8 with 185kw, is slower than an AU with hang on... 185kw. There's almost no difference, weight would be the same, or most likely in favour of the EL...??? anyone confirm.
Or is it that u cant admit an E Series 8 is quicker than the 6, for the first model in a few years.

[/quote]

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Mont

VIC, Australia

take the 8 if you can afford it. It's a V8 man, you can't argue with that. s**t, even the new skylines (the I6 king) are gonna have a V8.

sorry to digress a little, but EL XR8, your car is hornbag.

Now I'm disgruntled; before this I had been relatively gruntled

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA

VIC, Australia

this thread is interesting, i wish they put some effort into those E series V8's, i mean, i6's beating ford V8's all stock around, is weird, but holden's V6's dont beat there V8's coz the V8's were actually more powerfull then the V6, they made sure of that, why didnt ford, its annoying and frustrating

Ford Falcon EA Naturally Aspirated 4.0L i6
13.797 @ 157.16km/h (Limiter Bounce)

1/4 Mile Video

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Soarer 2.5GT-T

VIC, Australia

Ford are still confused even now. They always said the 5.4 would remain the BOSS of performance vehicles, then the 6 speed auto BF typhoon rapes a GT - and bang for buck mods is crazy. I heard of a bloke posting a 13.1 in a 6 speed BF (auto) with nothing more than an aftermarket panel filter. Crazy.
I love v8s, but ford just don't know how to build them... or shuold I say don't know how to build the right chassis and get the right power to the ground.
As much as it kills me to say it, if I was in the market for a v8 its holden ls/ls2 all the way, no competition.

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 7  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next