Fordmods Logo

Tickford head upgrade!! 

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: Tickford head upgrade!!
Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

eaboomer wrote:
So i take it all this is similar to putting a tickford head on a ea? Also the diff cos arent the early e series speedos different from the ef/el speedos?

Re the speedos, both models EA-ED and EF-EL will happily use the same source signal. The tacho signal need to feed from a different pin on the ECU though.

It should be noted that if the head is from an NC it could have a slight difference on the edges of the half moon area. The early cars had a right angle edge, and the EF-EL modles had a radius instead. This can effect the sealing of the rocker cover gasket.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

BTW.. you won't cause any damage by running the Tickford head before you get all the other stuff.. it's really just a better breathing head with bigger valves and better valvesprings.

It's just that to get the most from your investment you need the cam... reg, exhaust etc.

Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:04 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EAII fairmomt

VIC, Australia

Ah yea thanks

is that hard to do electronics arent my strongest of skills lol

Low and slow yeah.... But not that slow but low... But not to low either... yeah

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:51 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL2 xr8

VIC, Australia

Evxr6= thanks heaps for the description of the diff speedo gear, that will be really helpful. Cheers :)

BenJ= the Nc reconditioned head has the half moon cut in it, so the ef rockercover should hopefully fit :) thanks

Frankieh= I'll probably fit overhead cam and 300kpa fuel reg with it, then when I get the 3.45 diff done I'll then install the gear speedo and swap the "ecu" to the ef fairmont ghia one I have picked up. But I'm glad to here it wont damage the cars set up if I just install the head. Thanks heaps mate :D

It will be a working project over the next few weeks to get this upgrade done as I am getting a bodykit painted and fitted next week. I'm still not to sure if a bodykit will go well, what are your opinions on kits for an (mocca foam) coloured ef fairmont??
Cheers, ps this forum is f**k sick, very helpful so far.. :mrgreen:

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

All of the heads have the half moon in them. The difference is in the transition edge from the flat surface into the half moon.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

I successfully fitted EF Rocker cover to my ED head - which had the sharp edge transition from the sill to half moon - by simply filing the edges round...

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

Ef Nut wrote:
Evxr6= thanks heaps for the description of the diff speedo gear, that will be really helpful. Cheers :)

Cheers, ps this forum is f**k sick, very helpful so far.. :mrgreen:

No worries, mate. That's what fordmods is all about. As long as you ask well thought out questions, you will find that a lot of people are willing to help you out, both online and in real life.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:08 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Alrighty,
I have no idea about 3.45 diffs, and was wondering if some coul :) d tell me if this is good, bad, yes, no or how many of these i need etc.
Like i was saying i have no clue about diffs and any help would be much appreciated..
Thanks again guys :)

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Ef Nut wrote:
Alrighty,
I have no idea about 3.45 diffs, and was wondering if some coul :) d tell me if this is good, bad, yes, no or how many of these i need etc.
Like i was saying i have no clue about diffs and any help would be much appreciated..

OK. Diff goes between your two back wheels.. 3.45 is good.. you will find much better take off when you have one in as you are probably 3.23:1 now. You only need one, but if you have a second 3.45 diff, I'd be happy to take it off your hands. :-)

also if it's from a Ghia, it'll most likely be a limited slip diff which is good for traction generally but extra fun in the rain around corners.

The 3.45/3.23 is the ratio of wheel turns to input shaft turns... so the 3.45 means that the input shaft turns more per wheel turn than the 3.23:1 so it's a lower gear.. meaning better take off.

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:43 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Does that mean the 323 is better for towing?

Low and slow yeah.... But not that slow but low... But not to low either... yeah

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:46 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Lol dont even answer that haha

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Ef Nut wrote:
Alrighty,

When people talk about 3.08 or 3.23 or 3.45 or 3.7 or 3.9 or 4.11 diff - they're talking about the gear ratio in the rear axle housing - which is the final drive gearing for the wheels.

What those numbers really mean is 3.08 to 1; 3.23 to 1; 3.45 to 1 etc.

The number refers to how many rotations of the drive shaft will make one rotation of the wheels - so you can see how the LARGER that number the LOWER the final gearing to the back wheels. Using a lower ratio (bigger number) is like putting a LARGER cog on the back wheel of your bike.

It's called the "differential" because that gear setup isn't just straight forward - it's a special setup that enables the input shaft drive to be translated 90 degrees to the Left and Right rear axles BUT at the same time enable each axle to turn at a different speed (where the "differential" or "diff" part of it comes from) - which is necessary when the car is turning - ie. the outside wheel needs to be able to make more rotations than the inside wheel when the car turns.

To be honest, IMO going from 3.08 to 3.45 is a waste of time and effort - so 3.23 to 3.45 would be even more so. If you must mess with the diff then IMO go at least to 3.7

edited - it's like a larger cog on the back of ur bike...

Last edited by Greenmachine on Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Awesome I'm glad it will fit, cause I was going to purchase this one on eBay and cause I no very little about diffs so that why I asked if I need two. Lol
Unfortunately I don't have 2, but if I did would have helped you out there.
The ecu and fuel reg I got from the efIIfairmont ghia was laying flat on the ground so I couldn't get the slip diff, cause I went back to the self serve wreckers 2 days ago now and asked one of the workers to put the car on a stand or if he could remove it, but pretty much in a nut shell he wasn't interested.
But anyway, I met a guy on the weekend who used to work at ford and he said he would be more than happy to install the 3.45 diff for a cheap price.
Thanks heaps again guys for the info, I'll be purchasing this diff real soon now :D

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

also wheel/tyre sizes effect the ratio...i wouldn't bother with the 300kpa reg, as they run rich as is.
unless it's been tuned for it... i switched mine back to the 270kpa as it was running to rich

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Don't panic about what I've said regarding 3.45 being a waste of time - if you can swing it for good cost then go for it - it certainly won't make things worse but just don't expect miracles with such a small ratio change.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next