Fordmods Logo

Ticking sound 

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

I have just one lifter ticking.. and only for a while after starting.. when things warm up it stops..

really annoying, and I've run two bottles of lifter cleaner oil treatment though to no effect..

If I could figure out exactly which one it is.. I'd consider just changing that one as I'm planning on selling this otherwise excellent ED motor with Xr6 cam soon to replace with a SC'd EL motor.

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA xr8 Magnet ute

VIC, Australia

TAPPETS!

Post subject: Re: Ticking sound
Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Sorry to bring up old thread, but im having some 'ticking' issues. I have read through all the related threads in the "guide to 6 cyl" sticky, but i think my issue is unique to what i have read.

Firstly, my car is an AU3 xr6 VCT, it has ~150,000 kms on it.

About 5000kms ago, i replaced all my HLA's as recommended by my mechanic as i had a metallic tick coming from the head. It didnt solve the problem :x . Lately it has been getting worse, so i want to fix the problem!!! What makes it strange though, is that its (well was until recently) only from 1500-2000rpm. But now its getting louder and is also starting to do it at initial start up :x The noise is quite loud, and when driving through town you can hear it echoing off buildings :oops:

My mechanic recently mentioned it might be the shims that have worn, i didnt replace them when i did the HLA's. But its strange how its only appears to be a single HLA making the noise.

I had changed the HLA's myself, removed all the necessary cables and what not, rocker cover, then rocker gear, tapped out old HLA's/shims using pin punch and soft hammer, then just re-installed new HLA's (after soaking in oil overnight) with old shims. I made sure i evenly did up the 20-something bolts, and made sure they were to torque setting. Was there something i have missed???

I want this problem fixed!!!

A few extra notes;
* i changed the oil when i changed them, with penrite 10w oil
* its not injectors, i just did the old stethoscope screwdriver trick, there pretty quiet. i also listened around at different points on the rocker cover and head near the intake and exhaust ports, nothing but a dull high frequency sound which one would expect from an engine!!!

But yeh, anyone have a similar issue? Most the issues i have seen on here are from e-series, and not at a specific rev range. Im going to try an oil change firstly. Is it maybe a faulty HLA from new??

Sorry for the large post, i just wanted to supply as much info as i could in one go!!

Thanks.

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:25 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BF XT Falcon

VIC, Australia

Sounds very similar to my problem, my ticking/knocking noise is louder at low revs, but can still be heard while reving it out. Took it to the mechanic, they suspected worn lifters. They Opened up the rocker cover... shards of metal everywhere.

So my head got replaced with a reco AU head, but it still did not solve the knocking problem.

What they did was take the spark lead off a cylinder 1 at a time, when not under load there was no ticking noise, but when they plugged the lead back into the first piston.. Bingo it was back again.

So they thought it might have been the rod bearing. So i got the rod bearing replaced in the first piston (the one knocking under load) but still it was there. Now they suspect my gudeons are on the way out. Which is pretty much a complete engine rebuild.

Have now cut my losses and buying an el xr6 engine.

But try what my mechanic did, start up your car, and unplug a spark lead starting with the first one, give it a rev and see if it still makes the noise.

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

timing chain slack. either stretched chain, faulty chain tensioner or broken chain guides

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:25 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Thanks for the replies.

lowie: I just did what you said in regards to removing a lead at a time, it still did it. Which is good cause from what you said its not major, but its bad cause i still dont know exactly what it is.

wildeb: i dont think its timing chain slack, the sound is definitely coming from around the 3rd or 4th cylinder somewhere.

Im going to try fresh oil first, then if that doesn't do anything i'll shell out 60 bucks and get new shims. After that ..... god knows.

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: BA Fairmont Giah v8+more

NSW, Australia

if it only hapens when the spark plug is connected and the rod bearing has been replaced then you would think it has to be a sloopy gudgion pin unless the lead is sparking out the side of the lead boot or the side of the plug were the porcialand joins to the metal on the plug but surley you would of seen that and the gudgion pin would be a light nock not a tick

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

sorry didnt see the last post before i wrote it was on the next page........lol

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:59 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Thats ok haha.

Nah its not a knock, just a soft metallic tick. Enough to drive me up the wall but.

Will try changing the oil this weekend.

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

valves dont usuallt make a ticking sound in the 3.9 and 4.0 it would have to be the lifter or an exhaust leak (doughbt it) if its a metalic tick. check roccer arms for play and make sure the oil galleries are clean this could ristrickt oill flow to a certain lifter clean them to be sure (petroll air blower with lifters out)

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:34 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon ED

VIC, Australia

:oops: :shock: hmm might as well kick it off for 2010 and yeah i know this an really old thread.
i was about a while ago and successfully changed over my head on an 4.0 singlepoint in an ea 91 wagon. its now been totally too long since i have done a oil change and after the other nights little 'giddy up' when cold to make the milk bar for some smokes, saw my motor have a loud and i mean loud metallic ticking noise the next morning when i started the motor.

i think there are some great suggestions throughout this thread;
hla's
shims
check rockers
oilchange and clean interior motor
sloppy gudgeon? rod bearing?

i just posted coz i hoped someone could shed some light on what caused this and in fact is my motor about to seize up or what?
Ime off to me mechanic down here at phillip island to see what he'll charge for doing some of the recommended things to fix this little hass.
I am currently looking for a descent ef as from my research ile be happy with what goes on there if i get the right one as per this dood..
http://autospeed.com.au/cms/title_Awake ... ticle.html
anyways any reply would be cool..
thanks

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

check your oil pressure, top up your oil etc.
if its the lifters, just put a seal kit through them (you can get them from Jim mock for $30 or shiftkits.com.au for $42 posted) and they will be silent ;)
only need to replace lifter/HLA when the spring or little valve inside are no longer working.

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2