Fordmods Logo

Timing chain tensioner seal 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Timing chain tensioner seal
Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:10 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hey
I have a EB falcon I'm getting roadworthy and i have been told to replace the Timing chain tensioner seal. I went down to ford and they gave me a o ring however when i pulled the tensioner out there was no o ring on it, now I'm trying to figure out how it goes on but everything i can find through search looks like a different tensioner.

I put the o ring at the start of the tensioner so it goes between block and the head of the tensioner and it doesn't leak however it doesn't look right, when i tighten the tensioner up enough to not leak oil the o ring gets pushed out a bit.

Any help?

Post subject: Re: Timing chain tensioner seal
Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:11 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1992 EB Falcon

WA, Australia

Here's a picture. I wonder if they gave you the right o-ring. the one that goes between the block and the timing cover has an approximate outside diametre of 26.5mm where the tensioner retainer (the one I think you are asking about) is about 27.5mm. If you do have the right sized O-ring try giving it a thin smear of grease, that may help it to stop binding when you do it up. I have two retainers here (one off my motor and another from a spare parts wreck) and both retainer O-rings are serverly squashed. The correct torque amount for the retainer is only 15Nm which isn't a great amount really so it shouldn't deform, the retainer plug is only 10Nm. Hope that helps.

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:46 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford Longreach Ute OutBack

NSW, Australia

Early EB's had either an aluminium gasket or "O" ring between the retainer and the timing chain cover which was discarded in later production.Just did the headgasket on my XG with the EBII motor,and the gasket/"O" ring was beyond use,so I just put some Loctite Master gasket on the retainer threads,as well as the plug threads.So far,no oil leaks.(highly unusual for a Ford).

:)

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:48 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford Longreach Ute OutBack

NSW, Australia

Early EB's had either an aluminium gasket or "O" ring between the retainer and the timing chain cover which was discarded in later production.Just did the headgasket on my XG with the EBII motor,and the gasket/"O" ring was beyond use,so I just put some Loctite Master gasket on the retainer threads,as well as the plug threads.So far,no oil leaks.(highly unusual for a Ford).

:)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]