Timing EL Falcon 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Timing EL Falcon
Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:00 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon

New Zealand

Hi Everybody

Finally finally I've got my EL starting, running, idling & revving. Many in & outs with the replacement distributor & TFI. Base timing is right on the mark but the car runs flat. Mechanic agrees. I would like to advance it fractionally more but it hits on something. How can I fix that? I connected the top & bottom left plug ins under the d/side so the computer can go in to timimg mode. I put the timing light back on but it shows the setting exactly correct. Now the spanner icon has come on beside the tripometer. I unplugged the OBD test wires but the spanner icon won't go out. Can anyone help?

cheers
Phil in NZ

Post subject: Re: Timing EL Falcon
Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA MKII XR6

New Zealand

Nussbaumer wrote:
Hi Everybody

Finally finally I've got my EL starting, running, idling & revving. Many in & outs with the replacement distributor & TFI. Base timing is right on the mark but the car runs flat. Mechanic agrees. I would like to advance it fractionally more but it hits on something. How can I fix that? I connected the top & bottom left plug ins under the d/side so the computer can go in to timimg mode. I put the timing light back on but it shows the setting exactly correct. Now the spanner icon has come on beside the tripometer. I unplugged the OBD test wires but the spanner icon won't go out. Can anyone help?

cheers
Phil in NZ

Far as I'm aware the computer handles the timing for the most part once you get it close enough.

Spanner icon should just mean it's due a service, can reset that easy enough

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

To remove the spanner hold down the odometer reset button and turn the ignition to acc; wait 10-15 seconds and you should hear a beep. It should then be cleared from the dash until the next 10,000 km.

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon

New Zealand

Quote:
5h4dy wrote:
To remove the spanner hold down the odometer reset button and turn the ignition to acc; wait 10-15 seconds and you should hear a beep. It should then be cleared from the dash until the next 10,000 km.
5h4dy wrote:
Nussbaumer wrote:
Hi Everybody

cheers
Phil in NZ

Far as I'm aware the computer handles the timing for the most part once you get it close enough.

Yes fair enough but the car is running very flat & down in power yet not missing & timing is correct. I can"t figure it out.

Spanner icon should just mean it's due a service, can reset that easy enough

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Nussbaumer wrote:
Yes fair enough but the car is running very flat & down in power yet not missing & timing is correct. I can"t figure it out.

Blocked catalytic converter?

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:30 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

5h4dy wrote:
Nussbaumer wrote:

Blocked catalytic converter?

are you sure everything is hooked up correctly? .. i did get a slant 6 [val] to run but with the timing 180 degrees out :shock: ran but ran poorly under load.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]