Fordmods Logo

Timing (TDC) and cam change 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Timing (TDC) and cam change
Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:20 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Falcon

WA, Australia

okay people this one has me a bit stumped...

i recently put in a RPD Rspec1 cam but before i took my old cam out i put the timing on top dead center. i left my car over night in the garage because i broke a lifter and got a replacement in the morning.

i put the new cam in, then put the rocker gear back on but somehow my bottom end TDC is way out... HOW DID THIS HAPPEN????

i havent put the timing chain back on the cam as i dont know waht to do about the TDC issue

Any help is much apreciated

Will.

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Pull it back apart and try to line it back up again, thats really all you can do.
Didnt leave your bar on the bottom pully and bump it at all during the instal did ya?

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

OK, did you measure TDC using the balancer mark, or have you just noticed the timing mark is off?

The timing mark on the balancer is very unreliable. The outer ring often slips so you just cant trust it.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:47 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

okay i fixed the timing problem, cam is in and car is running again :D:D:D

however since i had to p[ut shims in the rocker arms are now hitting the rocker cover and making a dreadful tapping sound.

i ran the car without the rocker cover and it runs quiet, no tappind sound, put the cover back on and the tapping comes back

can i by a riser/ spacer for the rocker cover to solve this???

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XD

VIC, Australia

how many mm in shims did you put into each rocker arm? generally the HLA's take a few minutes of driving to pump back up and the clickyness to stop, but the arms should not be hitting the rocker cover!!

I measured incorrectly and started my EL with 5-6mm of shims when i was stuffing around with my rpd r3 cam, the car wouldn't run right because valves were not closing properly, but it still did not hit on the cover!

1997EL 5spd
mods: 2.5" redback catback, DBA slotted rotors, Pacemaker 4480's, Tint, K&N pod, 17" rims

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EB Falcon

NSW, Australia

would the shaved bit on the top of the rocker arms have any thing to do with it coz i no some of them are shaved and others arnt ?

God made Holdens to keep d**k Heads out of FORDS

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:58 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

it has 2x 1.9mm shims in each rocker arm. i ran the car with the rocker cover off and there is no clicking sound at all. i put the rocker cover back on and the clicking noise is so loud it is unbearable

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:29 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

EALCON 3.9 wrote:
it has 2x 1.9mm shims in each rocker arm. i ran the car with the rocker cover off and there is no clicking sound at all. i put the rocker cover back on and the clicking noise is so loud it is unbearable

Maybe its because the sound is echoing off the inside of the rocker cover. :wink:

Take it for a drive and the sound will go away. Unless the noise you are describing is because you put too much shim in and its the valve kissing the piston.

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:06 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

ok the ticking sound is gone now. i drove it for an hour and the ticking sound was still there

i put 2 gaskets in between the head and the cover to raise it up and now the ticking sound is gone

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]