Fordmods Logo

Topping up coolant which 1 tough 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Topping up coolant which 1 tough
Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Got a BA turbo 77K KM on her ticker. put it this way its had a new raditor installed once by ford service now im needing to top up the coolant.

Can i just open it when shes cold and top up?

and what coolant does ford use?

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

coolants are not meant to be mixed together, so unless you know the exact stuff thats already in there, replace the whole lot.

$20 odd wil get you a bottle of tectaloy gold concentrate which does 15L.

if its leaking, find the leak first.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

all tectaloy is it's Just Green Water The Way To Go is Use

Quoted From The Factory Ford Manual

(Motorcraft R1-32/33) AKA Corrosion Inhibitor/Antifreeze Anti Boil

Head Up To Coventry's it's a little black bottle with the Ford Logo on it
Cost $8.39 Thats what i paid - 500ml's Treats 15Litres

Your all a bunch of f**k Heads delete this f**k account stupid useless C*** who run this site cant even sell something useless wankers

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

prydey wrote:
coolants are not meant to be mixed together, so unless you know the exact stuff thats already in there, replace the whole lot.

$20 odd wil get you a bottle of tectaloy gold concentrate which does 15L.

if its leaking, find the leak first.

Thats why im asking first.

Head Up To Coventry's it's a little black bottle with the Ford Logo on it
Cost $8.39 Thats what i paid - 500ml's Treats 15Litres

Coverntrys is that the brand or the shop sorry.

So just get that and when to do it in the morning when its frozen cold pour some in then just put the cap on and just drive.

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Hilux

VIC, Australia

if its a 500ml bottle of ford coolant thats not R132. they are 1litre bottles.

Now driving a Hilux

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Leroy wrote:
if its a 500ml bottle of ford coolant thats not R132. they are 1litre bottles.

pulls hair i give up this is so hard.

so it needs to be ford coolant in the 500ML or 1L.

Some 1 come over to golden grove and do a full flush for a slab of ur choice of booze.

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Hilux

VIC, Australia

If you had the work done at Ford, go to them and ask them exactly what coolant they used. How long ago did they do the job? Perhaps they didnt fill it up enough them selves

Now driving a Hilux

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

Leroy wrote:
If you had the work done at Ford, go to them and ask them exactly what coolant they used. How long ago did they do the job? Perhaps they didnt fill it up enough them selves

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a amzing idea, and it would probably work, to, dont you clowns use your heads?? ring the ppl who done it, jesus, lazy pricks.

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

bowsaw wrote:
Leroy wrote:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a amzing idea, and it would probably work, to, dont you clowns use your heads?? ring the ppl who done it, jesus, lazy pricks.

Ha ha!

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Leroy wrote:

They wouldnt know they most likely have mexican / african slaves doing it not knowing a thing.

Ok i will try give them a ring later on i doubt they would know.

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Ok im going to next morning some time get some distilled water and add it while it is cold about 600ML's i prey it will be fine.

Now do i add it while everything is cold in the morning then start the engine and let it bubble down. or close it and just drive.

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:48 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

a couple of things if i may

DO NOT USE TECTALOY. it is cheap crap...

i've seen many many many cars have corosion problems early in theyre lives. Corollas, Falcons, Mazda's and i think a lancer too, and the common thread was tectaloy.

use the manufacturer reccomended coolant and nothing else to be safe.

For BA's, ford now reccomend using R135 which is a pre-mixed glycol based coolant. It is availiable in one, five and i think 20L quantities.

Also, if you are doing a complete flush/refill it is impossible to drain approximately the last 6L from the engine block and so you need to add 2L of R133 which is the same coolant just with no premixed destilled water.

Admittidly its not cheap (probably around $70-90 retail for a full refill) but neither is a corroded cooling system, especially on a BA.

i'd think a head gasket repair on a BA (which is only going to occur through corossion) would be way more exxy then an e series car

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

xpression wrote:
a couple of things if i may

DO NOT USE TECTALOY. it is cheap crap...

i've seen many many many cars have corosion problems early in theyre lives. Corollas, Falcons, Mazda's and i think a lancer too, and the common thread was tectaloy.

use the manufacturer reccomended coolant and nothing else to be safe.

For BA's, ford now reccomend using R135 which is a pre-mixed glycol based coolant. It is availiable in one, five and i think 20L quantities.

Also, if you are doing a complete flush/refill it is impossible to drain approximately the last 6L from the engine block and so you need to add 2L of R133 which is the same coolant just with no premixed destilled water.

Admittidly its not cheap (probably around $70-90 retail for a full refill) but neither is a corroded cooling system, especially on a BA.

i'd think a head gasket repair on a BA (which is only going to occur through corossion) would be way more exxy then an e series car

tectaloy has served me well for many years with no corrosion or cooling issues. all my cars i own for fairly long periods of time. long enough that if there was going to be an issue with the coolant it would show itself.

why use a premix if you need to use a concentrate anyway due to the fact that like you say, nearly half the water stays in the block. most of the time a concentrate will be a lot cheaper than the premix.

to the original post, you can top it up with water (preferably distilled/tank) and you will be right to go but would be a good idea to get the system pressure tested incase there is a leak. if it is leaking and you keep topping it up with water then you will eventually dilute the coolant too much.

i suspect this thread is getting a little over the top as you probably just noticed your level was down and unsure as to the correct way to top it up.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

I agree its getting over the top. Most of the objections and advice for the u beat ford products have been from people that have have driven cars for a max of 5 years to one that hasnt even got P's yet. After all that i have used techaloy gold in my EL for the past 5 years with no problems.

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

I agree its getting over the top. Most of the objections and advice for the u beat ford products have been from people that have have driven cars for a max of 5 years to one that hasnt even got P's yet. After all that i have used techaloy gold in my EL for the past 5 years with no problems.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next