Fordmods Logo

Towing 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Towing
Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:16 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Is there any special parts you can buy other than a HD radiator and a HD Transmission cooler that i can have fitted to the engine in a ed fairmont and vp holden to reduce the strain on the engine and increase the cars life while towing big trailers like a special towing cam (not one to give more power but one to cut in when towing to reduce the strain) or any other things. if so how much all up for all the parts other than a hd transmission cooler and a hd radiator. i wont tow more than 1200kgs but may tow upto that frequently probably a fair way maybe 2 - 3 hrs i tried other places but no luck so if you can help me i really woulg appreciate that because my grandfather dribbles on about towing shortens the life of the car so i want to know if i can have extra parts other than a hd radiator and a hd transmission cooler in a ed fairmont 6 cyl to extend the life of the car after towing

thanks for any help.

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: XH B&S ute, Navara 4x4

Power: 202 rwkw

SA, Australia

You can get cams that increase torque for towing. Remember though that extra torque increases the load on the rest of the driveline.
IMHO you shouldn't have any trouble if you use the hd radiator and trans cooler.1200kgs isn't a great deal of weight to be towing; just don't use overdrive and do use common sense and all will be good.

BTW wot is said 1200kg load?

You'll ride a black tornado across the western sky

You'll rope an ol' blue norther and milk it 'till it's dry

Bulldog the Diamantina pin its ears down flat

Long before you take this cowboy's hat

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:42 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

anything else i can do to increase torque for towing upto 1200 kgs

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

The Falcon will tow it easily. You will of course notice the extra weight dragging behind. But 1200kg isn't much for a Falcon. If you are planning on getting an Automatic transmission cooler, thats a great start. Just make sure you're radiator and cooling system is working well.
The good thing is, towing for a longer period of time, like 2-3 hrs, can be a lot easier on the car than towing for a shorter time around town for instance. As i would be hazarding a guess that if you're towing for a few hours, you would be on the hwy, etc, not around town?

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:11 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 94 EF (OPT20), TF Cortina Ghia

VIC, Australia

Falcons CAN tow. My boss is a bit of a dik with cars but has prooved falcons pull like semmi's. We have a custom trailer at work for carting roofing materials etc. and it is continualy loaded with between 1000 - 3000kg. and the old AU never missed a beat. got 250,000 out of it b4 a pimp stole it for revenge and stuffed it. now he does it with his BA futura wagon. bought new a couple a yrs ago and still goin strong. will reduce the life of the car. but if its a serious work vehicle then who cares its all a big tax write off anyways.

"Look I found tape, I'm a mechanic now!!!" Mike Teutul

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:16 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

is there anything else i can add to the car to tow without reducing the cars life

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:19 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

any towing is gona reduce the cars life. just remember to drive accordingly. obviously dont thrash its tits off with a trailer on. My boss just uses standard Fords no mods at all. IIRC he had an ED from new he did it with to. he traded that on the series 1 au fairmont ghia. so the life isnt realy an issue unless you plan to keep the car for more than say 10 yrs. just keep the auto serviced regularly for gods sake. and make sure ur cooler is working

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

i towed a VC Commodore on a trailer around town in my manual EA on LPG lol... had to work hard to get to 50km/h, but it did it no worries lol. total weight of VC + trailer = about 2 tons. EA manual is rated to tow only 1250kg lol.

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:31 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

pfffft raated towing capacity and what it will tow are 2 completely different things. just cos its rated at 1250 only means that that is the S.W.L (safe working load) it may in fact be capable of pulling 4 tonne but thats not to say that it is dangerous and realy shouldnt be done. but what the hell why not the trusty falcon can tow anythin

Remember the add with the roadtrain????? I got a Chamois you can borrow.

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i have pulled on the weigh bridge and went 4250kg (tandem with scrap steel) and similar loads then one day i was towing a car and tandem and two bolts gave way and the towbar dropped on the road the only thing that was holding where the bolts in the wheel well, 100kph scary stuff. if you plan to do a lot of towing some heavy duty rear springs ans trans cooler should be all you need and regular inspections of the towbar. oh and good brake rotors help

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:13 am 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

i might only do a bit of towing maybe a caraven or big trailer here and there but i was only asking you what i need to fit on the car to tow without reducing the cars life as i may have to get what every thing it takes fitted to the car to keep my grandfather happy as he says too much towing reduces the cars life and thats what he dribbles on about so i have to keep him happy

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:30 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

if your not towing on a regular basis ( multiple times a week\month) the extra wear on the car will be negligable. If you Fit a Heavy duty Hayman reese towbar, A good auto cooler and A good set of brakes (idealy an electronic brake controler and a trailer\caravan with electronic brakes) you will have no problems. Like i said we been pullin overloaded trailers for more than 10 yrs with falcons and never had 1 problem caused by towing. but i tell you what without electronic brakes workin on our custom trailer its a real b**ch to pull up. with electronic brakes you can feel the trailer pulling the car up.

Regular serviceing of the car and its systems. (brakes ,auto, cooling etc.) will ensure you many years of hassle free towing.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]