Fordmods Logo

Turbo Question 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Turbo Question
Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2006 BF XR8 Boss 260

New Zealand

Will this run OK on a Barra 6? http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 607737.htm

As I udnerstand it the standard Barra can't take much boost so would these smallish turbo run OK?

I know alot of people will say just buy a XR6T but this will be a project, I learn by doing.

Current...
XY Faker Project...
EL XR6 Work Hack...

Post subject: Re: Turbo Question
Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 2004 ba xr6 turbo

NSW, Australia

post1311852.html#p1311852

just did mine mate, any questions im happy to answer...

http://snortperformance.com/ford_falcon ... o_kits.htm

I just installed the stage 2 kit and is pretty cool... but if i could go back and change my mind I would have forked out the extra 1g for the gt40 turbo....

personally I wouldnt buy that turbo because its not a genuine garret it says its LIKE a garret gt34/40, but, in saying that i have had several mates slap jap crap turbos on and never had a problem... its upto you at the end of the day.. but geoff from snort performance is a good bloke and he's prices are fair in my opinion.

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

I think you mean crap cheap chinese copy turbos, most jap ones are good quality...

The OP's one looks like a knock-off of a precision turbo...

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2006 BF XR8 Boss 260

New Zealand

Mate thats awesome, will follow this path for sure.

LOLHSV wrote:
http://www.fordmods.com/post1311852.html#p1311852

just did mine mate, any questions im happy to answer...

http://snortperformance.com/ford_falcon ... o_kits.htm

I just installed the stage 2 kit and is pretty cool... but if i could go back and change my mind I would have forked out the extra 1g for the gt40 turbo....

personally I wouldnt buy that turbo because its not a genuine garret it says its LIKE a garret gt34/40, but, in saying that i have had several mates slap jap crap turbos on and never had a problem... its upto you at the end of the day.. but geoff from snort performance is a good bloke and he's prices are fair in my opinion.

Current...
XY Faker Project...
EL XR6 Work Hack...

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Vixen Red 09 FG XT

QLD, Australia

Be careful with the amount of boost you run with the n/a internals. They're designed for higher compression, so about 250rwkw would be pushing it. Future proof it if you're going to go big numbers later on. Last of all, good luck and have fun (: (can't wait to start my build in july lol)

VIXEN FG XT Previous best - 14.431 @ 99.69mph with minor mods
Currently 14.235 @ 101mph same mods. Bring on the 13's!

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

TheKrazeD wrote:
Be careful with the amount of boost you run with the n/a internals. They're designed for higher compression, so about 250rwkw would be pushing it. Future proof it if you're going to go big numbers later on. Last of all, good luck and have fun (: (can't wait to start my build in july lol)

Depends on the tune. Get the head massaged and use an AU head gasket - even though the AU gasket raises compression it will assist in avoiding detonation. Having meat taken out of the head will lower compression, but make sure whoever is doing the work knows what they are doing.

If it is a daily driver probably best to keep boost levels moderate to be safe, but 90% of future engine life is in the tune. If you get detonation on stock bottom end, s**t will break or bend. If you have a forged bottom end and get detonation, there is less of a chance s**t will break or bend. Static compression is only one part of it.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:20 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

skidder wrote:
Depends on the tune. Get the head massaged and use an AU head gasket - even though the AU gasket raises compression it will assist in avoiding detonation. Having meat taken out of the head will lower compression, but make sure whoever is doing the work knows what they are doing.

Why would you use an AU head gasket on an DOHC Barra engine? I think you may have an issue fitting it. :D

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

SWC wrote:
skidder wrote:

Why would you use an AU head gasket on an DOHC Barra engine? I think you may have an issue fitting it. :D

Nah man, it goes straight on...my uncles friends brother did it and got 400 at the treads... :lol:

At work and didn't read the thread properly, and it's Friday. My point re internals and tune still stands though.

EVL098 wrote:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]