Unknown hose leaking unknown substance. 

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

QLD, Australia

O_o

Yeah, I'll ring around and get some quotes, lol.

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:24 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

From your photos it looks like a leak near the crimp from the metal to flexible side of the A/C hose - check around the area and make sure it isn't blowback from somewhere else, otherwise you may be chasing the wrong problem - don't clean it off, because if it is an A/C issue, the workshop will want to see it.
The hose is the low pressure feed from the airbox evaporator back to the compressor. The oil is refrigerant oil (if the A/C is leaking).
No probs with the compressor, as they have hi temp and low pressure cutouts. I wouldn't be using A/C if you can help it, as the pressurisation when running will accelerate the leakage.
Get it to an A/C workshop ASAP - the hose will need to be replaced, but be aware when gas is evacuated and the internals are at outside pressure, the receiver/dryer will suck in moisture from the air, so sealing the system (getting a new hose on) should be done fairly swiftly - unless you can blank the open ends.
Your receiver/dryer may not need changing, usually only if moisture has been drawn in. Other factor is age - being over 10-12 years old, replacing may be the best option here - the A/C dudes will advise.
Be aware that to get to the receiver/dryer, the front bumper may have to come off (I don't think you'll get to it with the passenger side headlight removed), so if this is the case, you'll save a bit of labour doing this yourself.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

It can all be done your self if you want to save a bit of cash.

I talked yo my local air cond guys and they said its $69 to regas. If i suppilied the hoses and took the bumper off its $160 to fit the hoses i supply and re-gas.

He said i can do it my self. its best to replace the reciver/dryer at the same time. They are like $20-40 new.

Just make sure that you dip the seals in refrigiation oil or even a light oil such as sewing machine oil (just has to be light).

I found out about the laws (and did a school talk on CFC's) and the R12 gas found in older commodores and falcon's if released would be about 8 months of driving but the R134a isnt that harmful or at all. Thats why we switched to the R134a as it doesn't seperate in the atmosphere as R12 does.

You will need to take your front bar off too because thats the easiest way to get to the reciever/dryer.

HOLDENS go like rockets. They fall apart in stages!!!

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Fudge fudge fudge, lol. Should the receiver/dryer be replaced before or after they replace those that seems to be leaking?

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:04 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

r134a is a lesser of two evils, while it does not break down the ozone layer as r12 does, it does contribute to global warming.

i am no greenie by any means but i do feel a responsibility to try and do the right thing, that is merely why i suggested that a pro do it because hes the one who can recover any remaining gas in the system and hopefully dispose of it properly rather than a cowboy venting it to the atmosphere.

many people will say that you need to replace a receiver/drier every 12-24 months(not practical). my thinking is every time you re gas your a/c or whenever its been open to the atmosphere

you can buy cheap receiver/driers but it would appear some of them dont have as much dessicant in them as others.

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Mont

TAS, Australia

Venting refridgerant of that type to the atmostphere is against the law, whether your licensed or not. Individuals can cop a 10 000 fine and companies over 100k (from memory, dont quote me. but its HUGE.)

Sanity is for the Weak!!

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

Power: 132 rwkw

QLD, Australia

cost me well over 300 bucks to replace that heap of s**t hose. BLOODY ford, that hose is one unit from the firewall to the reciever dryer....
then the thread on the crappy aluminium fittings GALL and you have to replace the evaporator, and then they bust a hole in your radiator because the dorks hit it with the sharp edge of the evap core...
grr saga lol

175.7hp 15.5 @ 374,000km
Team I have two E-Series AND all my teeth.

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Lol, I'm filled with such confidence now mate. Ah well, I was just hoping to have a balance over $0 in the savings account for once. : P

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

well, just leave the fuggin thing mate ;)
mine was only buggered because of some halfwit bodgy brainless gas installer in Victoria used a hose clamp on the balance pipe on the intake piping, this hose in turn rubbed a nice hole in said $340 hose and yeah the rest is history...
i can find the invoice and post it up if you want... should i send you there where I got DONE LOL

;)

175.7hp 15.5 @ 374,000km

Last edited by samftr on Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

*Mind you, it is working really well. Freezing if anything now, so that is a bonus. but for 998 bucks IT WANT TO BE

LARF

175.7hp 15.5 @ 374,000km

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Lol Jesus, what a horror story. I miss my chilly air-con, especially with the warm days we've been having.

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3