Fordmods Logo

updated dads au problem, any ideas?? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: updated dads au problem, any ideas??
Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:18 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Ford EL Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

update now guys, i had a look at the car, and i culdnt see any creamy substance in the overflow but it was a reddy browny colour like rust, and also the overflow cap is a bit worn out so i told him to replace that. Is a stuffed overflow bottle cap responsible for increased pressure at all?

Also hes losing a bit of water from the passenger side, but its almost inside the cabin it looks like, possibly directly under the dash on the passenger side actually. ive heard stuff about heater cores leaking could this be the case? and if so what is the easiest fix?

Thanks again guys

Post subject: Re: updated dads au problem, any ideas??
Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Vixen Red 09 FG XT

QLD, Australia

Nathanhrv wrote:
update now guys, i had a look at the car, and i culdnt see any creamy substance in the overflow but it was a reddy browny colour like rust, and also the overflow cap is a bit worn out so i told him to replace that. Is a stuffed overflow bottle cap responsible for increased pressure at all?

Also hes losing a bit of water from the passenger side, but its almost inside the cabin it looks like, possibly directly under the dash on the passenger side actually. ive heard stuff about heater cores leaking could this be the case? and if so what is the easiest fix?

Thanks again guys

transmition fluid getting in?

VIXEN FG XT Previous best - 14.431 @ 99.69mph with minor mods
Currently 14.235 @ 101mph same mods. Bring on the 13's!

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:10 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Fluid leaking inside the cabin could mean a blocked drain hole. Can't remember where it is, but you can feed a wire through the drain hole to unblock it.

Also as TheKrazeD said, might be transmission fluid leaking into the cooling system since the transmission cooler is intergrated into the radiator. Transmission fluid is reddish new, becomes reddish brown when used, black when burnt.

Could also be rust as you say from a stuffed radiator or something in the cooling system. Losing fluid through the cap might mean your system is over pressurised (unless cap is worn) and therefore there might be a slight blockage some where.

Does the car run a little warmer than usual?

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:49 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

thanks for the replies guys, first off sorry i didnt explain myself very well, the car isnt actually leaking inside the cabin, the water is dripping from under the car, but its in line with the passenger side of the car prob directly under the dash but the water is dripping from under the car. sorry i jus read wat i wrote and i would have assumed i meant inside the car too haha. So yea thats where its leaking, and also it could be tranny fluid leaking into the cooling system, what is the process in fixing this?

And in answer to ur question phong, the car isnt heating more than normal is actually stays relatively cool as it always has. Does that indicate it may not be a blown head? or otherwise?

Thanks agen guys

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Vixen Red 09 FG XT

QLD, Australia

aircon pipes?? f**k me mate lol

VIXEN FG XT Previous best - 14.431 @ 99.69mph with minor mods
Currently 14.235 @ 101mph same mods. Bring on the 13's!

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:04 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Nathanhrv wrote:
thanks for the replies guys, first off sorry i didnt explain myself very well, the car isnt actually leaking inside the cabin, the water is dripping from under the car, but its in line with the passenger side of the car prob directly under the dash but the water is dripping from under the car. sorry i jus read wat i wrote and i would have assumed i meant inside the car too haha. So yea thats where its leaking, and also it could be tranny fluid leaking into the cooling system, what is the process in fixing this?

And in answer to ur question phong, the car isnt heating more than normal is actually stays relatively cool as it always has. Does that indicate it may not be a blown head? or otherwise?

Thanks agen guys

If the transmission fluid is actually going into the radiator, water might also go into the transmission I believe (someone correct me here). So if it has indeed happened, you'll need to flush the cooling system as well as get the transmission a service to flush out water/coolant from the transmission.

Water dripping at the firewall could be heater hoses/heater tap. Have a look under the car near the alternator (assuming they are at the same location as an EL, if not refer to manual or someone else can tell you) if a hose is loose/worn or heater tap has rusted/snapped/cracked.

Good luck.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:35 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

i havnt had a great look but i dont think it is the aircon pipes leaking as it is deeper in than that. For me to see where its leaking best i can see it from behind the front passenger side tyre, so i gues that gives you guys an idea of how deep it is, dont no whether its travelling on a pipe and dripping further down or what but ill have another look and let you guys know asap. Thanks for your help again, and if i flush the cooling system and transmission, wont the tranny fluid keep leaking in?

Thanks

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]