Fordmods Logo

Upgrading standard ef ghia to xr6 motor 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Upgrading standard ef ghia to xr6 motor
Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:24 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ef Ghia 1994

QLD, Australia

Hey fella's,just wondering what i will need to upgrade my ef ef falcon from a standard motor to an xr6. To my understanding all i need to do is bolt the motor in= job done. Computer is apparently the same??? ecu im not sure about. I have seen previous posts but cant find any on this actual subject. {Hope yaz don't answer this too much]. Anyone know if there is something i have to do other than change engines for xr6 specs? Except diff as i'm aware of this...

Post subject: Re: Upgrading standard ef ghia to xr6 motor
Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Your car should ready have a xr6 motor being a ghia ??

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:19 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Is it a Series I or Series II EF Ghia?

Computer is the ECU.

If it is a Series II you will already have a Tickford Motor.

If it is a Series I you will need the following,
a) EF Series II ECU.
b) 300kpa Fuel Reg.
c) Tickford Head, EF or EL will be OK as long as it isn't a Hybrid head.
d) XR 6 Cam.
and a Tickford rocker cover if you want to go all the way.

Short motor is the same, only difference is the above. Difference is all in the head, ECU and the diff, 3.45 ratio LSD

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

Bolt the motor in and fit the XR6 ECU/Computer and job done. As said the ECU and Computer are 2 names for the same thing.

Gab

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:37 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Cheers aye i relized that the ecu was the comp after posting lol anyways thanks for the info and it was series I. So whats wrong with the hybrid xr6 engines? What sets them apart?

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:38 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Cheers aye i relized that the ecu was the comp after posting lol anyways thanks for the info and it was series I. So whats wrong with the hybrid xr6 engines? What sets them apart?

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:42 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:44 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

You ask in another thread "what is a oompa loompa" and you post 4 times. Answers itself.

Hybrid engines have E series bottom end with AU rocker gear and Cam.

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:35 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Is there something wrong with posting 4 times on your own thread? rules are too long so didnt bother to read em haha :mrgreen: So what your saying is that a hybrid xr6 engine example= 96DT-6090-BA isn't as good as an xr6 because it has au valves E-series bottom end so im guessing the difference would be the hybrid xr6 has tickford head,au valves and rockers,and thats it no other goodies eg.cam? Just dont see what the advantage of making a tickford hybrid and only upgrading valves without fitting an xr6 cam. Still can't get my head around the whole e-series bottom end thing. What series bottom end did the xr6 efs come out with if they are different to hybrid xr6 motors? Oh btw i already have the motor used as an example,apparently its a hybrid xr6 not as good. Sorry not much knowledge when it comes to fords unless its hands on pulling out and refitting motors,gearboxes,diffs,suspension ect..

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Nothing wrong with Hybrid. You just have to realise that it has AU rocker gear and cam.

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Okay so replace rocker gear and cam with aftermarket cam and rocker gear and all good to burn rubber : One more question =Does the hybrid tickford motor have steel head gasket as i already found out the standard ones are an issue :mrgreen: Thanks all yaz rock!!!

Last edited by Ef Ghia XR6 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

EF, EL =
SAME BOTTOM END
no matter XR6, Fairmont, Futura, LTD, Fairlane, Falcon.
TICKFORD HEAD (with T on front of alloy head)
has different outlet ports (fatter) and a slightly lumpier cam (lumpier than ED S PACS etc)

EL HYBRID =
AU HEAD, VALVES, ROCKER GEAR and CAM on an EL bottom. They did make TICKFORD AU heads on EL bottoms. I have a sneaky suspicion that it was EL GHIA2's 1998 and XR6's of same year..?!

Some would suggest an EF or EL Tickford head on the AU would be better, due the better sounding numbers of the shorter pistons but longer conrods...

The EF or EL head has more room for improving flow through radius and port changes apparently.

Nothing at all wrong with the AU Tickford head set up. It works well.

Anyone care to tell if Ford used the MLS gasket or the old EF, EL one with this? You can fit the multilayer steel one anyway if you wish. I would guess they did use steel ones as they are noticeably thinner than the old and therefore Ford would not want to go decreasing the compression by using the older gasket.

The old gaskets are only really an issue if you blow all your water out due to a failing heater tap (under broad band manifold, above sub frame, three hoses going in, water dribling out, rust around it - you'll find it).... But yes, you will notice when you blow a head gasket.

My old engine was half blown. Had to put water and oil in it regularly. And it went for 100,000km until the rebuilt EL XR6 got converted to EF coils and timing got put in. All up the original motor did just shy of 350,000 I think. Which is above average for the E series without being opened in some regards. Head gaskets due to overheating or what have you 200,000 - 300,000.

You sound like you'd notice and be able to fix it. And when you fix it, get the head planed off, use the steel gasket and get some more compression.

Don't worry about it.

And you don't need after market rocker gear really. Just a cam.

(reason for editing- I missed some fullstops, wrote "your" instead of "you're" three times and changed many "their"'s to Ford.)

Last edited by fiend on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:28 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Thanks man that's sweet info and clarified all except head gasket issue eg whether or not hybrid tickfords were fitted with steel headgasket. I know it aint much of an issue as it wont be long until i get an aftermarket cam so it will be done anyway but good to know what im risking in the meantime

Last edited by Ef Ghia XR6 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:31 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Ef Ghia XR6 wrote:
Okay so replace rocker gear and cam with aftermarket cam and rocker gear and all good to burn rubber :D So what was all this about e-series bottom ends? Also does the hybrid xr6 motor have steel head gasket as i already found out the standard ones are an issue :mrgreen:

if you run the hybrid head just run the hybrid cam and rocker gear,,
the xr6 hybrid engine has exactly the same power and torque as the ef xr6 engine.

its just that the cams are not directly interchangable between the 2.
eg if you wanted to put a aftermarket cam in the hybrid head, you will need to get a aftermarket cam to suit an au..

and no, the hybrid still has the normal head gasket, but if you do change your head gasket you can use the au steel gasket...

e series bottom end is the bottom half of the engine from eb to el...
just as a note, there is no difference in the std bottom end and xr6 bottom end...
put a xr6 head on a std engine= you now have a xr6 engine......

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next