Fordmods Logo

URGENT EA HELP NEEDED!!!! 

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: '05 5.4L BA MK2 XT

NSW, Australia

what did it cost you to get your timing redone??
My car also has no guts off the line, The throttle seems to open all the way despite original accelerator cable (Now 16 years old) that has a highly cracked case...

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

what do you mean remarked the top dead centre?, my motor also has a slight knock in it could this be the timing? can hear it when ya head is in the engine bay.... just a slight knock coming from inside the motor on idle, i dont know if its there or not when im driving, also i replaced the fuel filter and that has seemed to sort it however it still dun feel like its going like it should,
cheers

Succesful trades with bentles_eb, Pane, chunkz, xr8_dismantler, OBS35N, mrnasty, Steady ED, voxace, Mash85, ovo616, ef biff, lukey, dazza2924, Seannyb, gunit18, jkk, Tocchi,

Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

I did the timing myself, just reset it back to factory specs (cant remember what)

I also took it to Ford to get base idle reset and timing checked....cost 5 bucks (but they were good blokes)

Basically because the balancer slips, the cast timing marks are out. I just threw a screwdriver down the spark plug hole and rotated the engine till I had TDC. I then remarked the timing marks with some white paint...

s**t, i did that like 3 years ago and the car was stolen soon after. I've never touched the timing on the EL so sorry if its a bit vague

too many rabbits in china

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: '05 5.4L BA MK2 XT

NSW, Australia

I dont like the sounds of putting a screwdriver down the spark plug hole... Really need a cheat book on how to set the timing in them, i'd look in my gregories but i left it at my mates house :(

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EA-machine!!!

NSW, Australia

well boys, i remember getting the EA multipoint 3 spd auto it was a car that had no balls of the line but picked up well towards the rev range when it wanted too. I decided that there was no way i was leaving it like this. I fully serviced the car, all filters and good old valvoline oil. The car was still sluggish of start but picked up again like it wanted too.

I changed the plugs to a set of super 4 bosch plugs (which i think doesnt really contribute alot $50). I then decided to change the leads, bosch performance leads $50 and this did make a deffinte diffrence to acceleration and especially as it climbed throught the revs.

After that i modded the air box (custom job) with old vaccum cleaner housing, this helped yet again. After that i decided to get a KnN air filter because i though the $20 crappy ones werent cutting it. Let me say they are well worth it, i take the air filetr out and there is not a dust particle in the air box and yes i did help just a little to the throttle response $150.

I soon after got the 2.5 inch exhaust from the cat bac. This was the greatest help and further added to the overall acceleration and torque.

As for results, no ED if it tried keeps up on take off but cautch up just a bit as the climb. EF's and EL's dont keep up off the line. This is all without playing with the gears. It also have my mates Honda prelude weight of 1180 kilos a good run, this was without the exhaust or KnN filter.

Cheers

EA 3.9 multipoint- bosch super four spark plugs and leads. KnN air filter, heavily customised air intake, 2.5 inch exhaust + whistle. absolute commowhore eater.

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Ace wrote:
I dont like the sounds of putting a screwdriver down the spark plug hole... Really need a cheat book on how to set the timing in them, i'd look in my gregories but i left it at my mates house :(

Why not? your only turning the engine by hand off the crank pulley

Actually i may not have used a screwdriver, it may have been a bit of wire or something. Had a beer and a sleep since then...and cant say i was paying all that much attention. Dad was doing it, i was just a boy who had no idea what was going on

too many rabbits in china

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

Also me thinks my cat has collapsed, theres a bit of a rattly sound on idle like s**t in the cat , lloks like a sports exhaust, hehehehe

Succesful trades with bentles_eb, Pane, chunkz, xr8_dismantler, OBS35N, mrnasty, Steady ED, voxace, Mash85, ovo616, ef biff, lukey, dazza2924, Seannyb, gunit18, jkk, Tocchi,

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ED Falcon

SA, Australia

Had problems with both my EA and ED being sluggish, fo I sureund out spark plug leads were no good.

Put a multimeter across each lead and check the resistance (ohms) is less than 20K ohms thats 20,000 ohms.

Change the faulty leads and notice the difference.

Quote of the Day
"I aint no mechanic but I sure save alot of money doing my own work"

I post here cos the russian tank driver doesn't

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2