Fordmods Logo

URGENT!!!, oil is all over motor and belt!!! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: URGENT!!!, oil is all over motor and belt!!!
Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:16 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Falcon Futura

NSW, Australia

yeah hey so i need some help asap, see i did an oil change today, change the filter, no major problems, until......
yeah so i finished the drain, put the new filter in, put the plug back in, and went to begin replacing the oil, my mum came out at that point an gave me a funnel, she said i should use it to put the oil in (in the hope i wouldnt get oil on the motor ).
so not thinking to hard about it i agreed and proceeded putting the oil into the motor, at the time i did not think to check the funnel for cracks/holes.
and naturally because i didnt check, there was a crack, a big a** one, so oil poured straight onto the motor and down the front of the block onto the fan belt, so the oil on the motor doesnt worry me, its the oil on the fan belt that worries me, cos i know it will cause problems with slipping.
now the car hasnt been started and so the oil hasnt gone on anymore of the belt than the 20cm or so it is on the belt.
can someone reccomend what the hell i should do to clean it up and make it the least slippery as i can!!!

thanks to anyone who has a suggestions, we need the car tommorrow so this is urgent!!!!!

thanks again!!!

mods to my laser:
vortex fuel.....seriously, its quicker than mums falcon, well, at stalling anyway....oh she does alright burnouts tho, will post a picture soon enough....screw flanders!!

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:27 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF II Futura

NSW, Australia

i have had oil all over my fan belt and it did not cause a problem. got a nice wiff of burning oil every now and then.
all i can suggest is wipe it off with a rag or get out the degreaser. i personally wouldnt get to concerned but it is up to you. but like i said it did not cause me any problems

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:48 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Falcon Futura

NSW, Australia

markrowe1 wrote:
i have had oil all over my fan belt and it did not cause a problem. got a nice wiff of burning oil every now and then.
all i can suggest is wipe it off with a rag or get out the degreaser. i personally wouldnt get to concerned but it is up to you. but like i said it did not cause me any problems

ah hey, look thanks firstly for replying so quick, ur a lifesave, i took what you said in, and decided to just start it and see how it went, well, no probs, no slipping that i can hear, and it seems to be alot smoother running since the new oil.

good news, tommorrow the new leads and sparkies go in, and also the injector cleaner.

say just a quick question incase anyone knows, with the injector cleaner should we fill up with some good clean fuel such as shell optimax, or stick to the cheap wollies fuel??

once again, thanks for ya help!!!

mods to my laser:
vortex fuel.....seriously, its quicker than mums falcon, well, at stalling anyway....oh she does alright burnouts tho, will post a picture soon enough....screw flanders!!

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:00 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Falcon EF The Works

VIC, Australia

You can use any fuel its all the same just with a different octane rating, as for injector cleaner you'll eventually just clog up your throttle body and rails (or so ive been told) and for my 5 cents i'd chuck in a new belt

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Oil wise I wouldnt worry, it'll burn off your engine with heat and any on the belt will flick off quickly or oil the pulleys the belt goes though - alteast it won't squeek! If you're really worried pull it off and give it a wipe.

I usually put injector cleaner in with the take at about 1/4 to make it more concentrated. It probably doesnt make any difference but meh...

PS: Issue your mum a beating with her cracked funnel and tell her to stay away from the front of the car in future :P

ImageImage

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ALTED XR6 - ALTED EA - EF TAXI

QLD, Australia

Yeah, it will just burn off, Will get smoke and stuff from the oil burning mainfold and other high heat areas ... but yeah, lots of degreaser/water, but remember that its hard not to get water on the dizzy, and then it won't start right .... so yeah, if you have an aircompressor and blow gun, use that to get rid of all the water ...

Buy your own funnels from supercheap, they are about $1 each and screw nicely into the oil filling plug! :)

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

I recommend," STP- Octane Booster" combined with Optimax gives for a definate Seat of your pants rush and a good fuel injector clean. You will notice a definate smoother idle after 25km of driving with this additive.

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]